Post your Baseball photographs here! Topic

Posted by redwingscup on 11/1/2006 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Quote: Originally Posted By TumH20_Bops on 4/05/2006
Meet and greet with Dan Wilson
I thought Groucho Marx was dead
 Bumped for the Mayor (TumH2O ) I believe he drove a beer truck in tne Northwest for Olympia Beer.
2/5/2013 9:27 AM
I met the Mayor once when he made a stop in St. Louis a few years back.  Great guy - said he owned a bar-b-que joint up in Washington State.  Haven't heard from him or seen him on here for quite a while...
2/5/2013 10:06 AM

Maury Wills at blog.mitchellandness.com/

2/19/2013 11:56 AM (edited)

One of the things I had wanted to do was have a baseball card team set of my WhatIfSports Progressive Teams, people can use photo editing to make some very realistic Card Company styled baseball cards.

Some autograph collectors send vintage baseball cards to former players hoping they will autograph the cards and return them to the collector.

I recently came across a blog where a collector has made non distributed versions of baseball cards, similar in style, but not Card Company issued Trading Cards

Some of the former players have especially enjoyed receiving copies of their versions of these " custom " cards.

Players have occasionally asked for more cards to share with family, and even wanted to know if additional cards could be produced.

Below is a link and some examples with Jay Johnstone.

Found this blog while doing research for a 1978 Progressive League.

Jay Johnstone is a much traveled player from this era, and a current member of my Oakland Team's roster.

Bobw's Custom Baseball Cards

" I've been collecting baseball images for many years and decided to create some baseball cards and send them through the mail to the players pictured for their autographs. I also make cards for collectors.
"

Jay Johnstone

I had gotten Jay Johnstone back two months ago and in a note he asked if I could make a Cubs and Dodgers card for him. I made those two up and added a Phillies and another Angels card using a nice B&W photo of him making contact in the batting cage.

Below our some Topps regular issue cards from Johnstone's playing career.  1967 Topps,  1969 Topps,
                                                                                                                         1971 Topps,  1968 Topps

2/19/2013 12:23 PM (edited)
o
3/7/2013 8:47 AM

Pete Gray, St. Louis Browns-May 30, 1945

Despite losing his arm in a childhood accident, Pete Gray achieved the near impossible, becoming a major league baseball player. Photographed here is Gray displaying, one-armed, his batting stance. 

5/4/2013 3:20 AM

PETE GRAY (1915 - 2002) was a professional baseball player best known for playing in the major leagues despite having lost his right arm in a childhood accident. Gray played for semi-pro teams including the Trois Rivières Renards of the Canadian-American League, the Memphis Chicks of the Southern Association and the Brooklyn Bushwicks. The St. Louis Browns purchased his contract in 1945 from the Chicks. Wearing uniform number 14, Gray played left and center field for the Browns. He appeared in 77 games, batting .218 with a .958 fielding percentage in center field. He played competently in the outfield, transferring the ball from glove to hand with remarkable speed. He collected his first major league hit (a single) against the Detroit Tigers on April 17, 1945. On May 19, he played in Yankee Stadium, collecting five hits and two RBI as the Browns swept the Yankees. Gray also proved himself an accomplished bunter. In order to bunt, he would plant the knob of the bat against his side, and would then slide his hand about one-third of the way up the shaft of the bat.

5/4/2013 3:23 AM

Don Gutteridge congratulates smiling Pete Gray, one-armed left fielder who just played his first major league baseball game in the Browns 7-1 route of the Detroit Tigers. Gray hit one for four. (1945)

5/4/2013 4:07 AM

The old Pacific Coast League.

Ted Williams. From 1936 to 1937 Williams was a member of the San Diego Padres before leaving to play for Boston Red Sox Double A team, the Minneapolis Millers. During his time in the PCL he played in 180 games where he had 161 hits, 23 homeruns, and batted .271 in 1936 and .291 in 1937. A nice little piece of information is that he wore number #19 for the Padres…the same number that a player often compared to himself would wear with the Padres almost 50 years later: Tony Gwynn.

Joe DiMaggio. As a member of the San Francisco Seals in 1932, DiMaggio played 3 games with the Seals while not under contract and for free. Due to the fact he played them for free he was removed from the games records at that time as he was not a “Professional.” This is because a player had to be under contract and be paid to be deemed professional. Joe DiMaggio started his official PCL career in 1933 until 1935 when he was sold to the NY Yankees for $25,000 dollars and five players. He debuted with the New York Yankees on May 3, 1936 and the rest was history. A not so well known fact about Dimaggio’s days as a San Francisco Seal is that he actually had a 61 game hitting streak in 1933, which at the time broke all Professional Baseball records.

5/4/2013 4:18 AM (edited)

Colorized Babe Ruth photo posted at an Out of the Park Photo Thread

(   Following 3 St. Louis Browns photos andWashington Senator are all from the same thread  )

6/2/2013 3:49 AM (edited)

Mark Christman  -  St. Louis Browns

Sig Jakucki   -  St. Louis Browns  

6/2/2013 3:43 AM (edited)

Satchell Paige  -  St. Louis Browns

6/2/2013 3:45 AM

Roberto Ortiz  -  Washington Senators                 

6/2/2013 3:51 AM

The East-West All-Star game became the showcase event in black baseball and one of the greatest sporting events in American sports history. The annual event was held at Chicago's Comiskey Park and would attract more than 50,000 fans. (Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Kansas City, Mo. )

Josh Gibson scores a run in the 1944 Negro League East-West All-Star Game at Comiskey Park

6/2/2013 4:02 AM (edited)

Getty Images 2013-04-20
PHILADELPHIA, PA - APRIL 20: Yadier Molina #4 of the St. Louis Cardinals warms up before the start of a baseball game against the Philadelphia Phillies on April 20, 2013 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images)

6/5/2013 9:34 AM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24 Next ▸
Post your Baseball photographs here! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.