Multiple Injury Recovery Cycles Topic

I have 20 medical and 20 training and have never seen something like this player in Upper Deck. I know about the injury bug but this player had a shoulder aneurysm last season and ended with five recovery cycles (one last season and four this season despite remaining on the DL). How is this possible?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=11462571
11/7/2023 9:02 PM
IMO you got lucky. I think most of the time you WANT that injury, if it happens, to happen late in the season so you can stash the player on the DL at the start of the next with him still having a long way to go. I believe that's the best way to get whatever maximum recoveries you can. But the timing is dumb luck, of course.

11/7/2023 9:19 PM
I wouldn't have said anything about it. Ya know what I'm sayin'?
11/7/2023 9:24 PM
It's those 250+ day injuries where you put them on the DL, they have a recovery on the second to the last day of the season,they have a recovery cycle during roll, then they have multiple recovery cycles during the next season depending on how many days left until full recovery.

This doesn't work unless it's a significant injury and it's later in the season.
11/8/2023 3:29 PM
Also, they've been communicating that they're going to fix or at least make injury recovery more transparent since 2020. 2020, Nothing. 2021, Nothing. 2022, Nothing. So far in 2023, Nothing. It is the most broken thing in the game. In fact, the only thing more annoying than injury recovery are owners that transact lopsided trades over and over again.
11/8/2023 3:48 PM
The other side of this is that those 100 day to 240 day early season injuries only get the ONE or two injury recovery cycles during the season that the player was injured. This is a HUGE DISCREPANCY. The point at which the player gets injured (early season or late season) has a significant impact on the player's recovery.

Also, those 30 to 99 day injuries almost always only get one injury recovery cycle. So, needless to say, but I will say it for the 100th time -- injury recovery is broken and needs to be on the top of the list of any fixes.
11/8/2023 3:56 PM
Posted by tlowster on 11/8/2023 3:56:00 PM (view original):
The other side of this is that those 100 day to 240 day early season injuries only get the ONE or two injury recovery cycles during the season that the player was injured. This is a HUGE DISCREPANCY. The point at which the player gets injured (early season or late season) has a significant impact on the player's recovery.

Also, those 30 to 99 day injuries almost always only get one injury recovery cycle. So, needless to say, but I will say it for the 100th time -- injury recovery is broken and needs to be on the top of the list of any fixes.
100%. Those 100 to 240 day injuries during the season are career killers.
11/8/2023 8:59 PM
ML 26 games in, 232 days. this won't carry over to next season right?
11/13/2023 2:44 AM
right
11/13/2023 7:29 AM
Posted by cshake93 on 11/7/2023 9:02:00 PM (view original):
I have 20 medical and 20 training and have never seen something like this player in Upper Deck. I know about the injury bug but this player had a shoulder aneurysm last season and ended with five recovery cycles (one last season and four this season despite remaining on the DL). How is this possible?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=11462571
I've been trying to figure this out for years to exploit it but I can't for the life of me. Your guy has 99 makeup so I think that may have to do with the number of cycles. Although part of me just thinks that is how much growth he will get per cycle and the number of cycles he gets is still completely random. Honestly after almost 100 seasons in HBD I still have no idea. This is far better then the guys who get injured at the beginning of the season for 200+ days, then get 1 injury recovery cycle at the end of the year when you have 20 mill in medical and training.

His wife must love that he has 104 stamina.

Edit: Nope, that's not it either. Your guy has 99 makeup but only gained 1 point per injury recovery cycle (I was expecting it to be 2). The injury 'bug' is one of HBD's great mysteries that you just hope smiles down on you.
11/16/2023 9:10 AM
Was planning on trying a $20M Med budget in one of my leagues for the first time but every time one of these threads pops up I step away from this ledge, hahaha
11/16/2023 12:13 PM
It adds new strategy to the game which is why I am hoping they never get rid of it. I don't shy away from guys with 50 or less health, especially pitchers because I can keep breaking them, putting them on the super solider program and turning them into a great player at the cost of having them sit out for much of multiple seasons.

My best two examples of this:

Johan Butcher The greatest pitcher I ever had and the Riley all time strikeout leader was not born but was made.

Jair Sanchez Not as good but still had an incredible year. Pitched 302 innings in a season once.

Both of these guys would have been OK without injuries but the bug and a little bit of luck made them incredible.
11/16/2023 2:31 PM
lol, appreciate all the comments. For what it's worth, it is not my player - another owner's player. I just noticed and was extremely curious.
11/28/2023 6:43 PM
He will lose some of his gains during offseason, not sure why. Makes 20 medical pretty useless.
12/22/2023 11:59 PM
Multiple Injury Recovery Cycles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.