Good control, good splits, baaad pitch ratings Topic

I've never tried a guy with pitches this bad at the ML level. Can he be useful at the ML level?

Sta 66
Control 78
vL 77
vR 84
Vel 86
GB/FB 90
1p 69
2p 56
3p 53
4p 34
12/26/2023 4:29 PM
What is your goal for the season?

Is it a rebuilding season where your only goal is to reach the MWR of your world? If so, then he would be a useful SP4/5 or LRA/B depending on his durability. Are you making a run for the playoffs this season? If so, I would only use him in a MOP/LRB role and he should never throw a pitch in the playoffs.

Depends a little bit on your position player defense and catcher pitch calling. If those are above average he may do a little better than what I said above.
12/26/2023 4:50 PM
Im a building team on the cusp of being a playoff contender. It's such a shame those pitch ratings are so poor. What a waste...
12/26/2023 8:08 PM
Keep him at AAA. If you have a short time injury to a ML pitcher you could bring him up to fill in for a few games if needed.
12/27/2023 9:29 AM
Obv good core ratings but the Pitch ratings are completely minor league and will dial back the effectiveness of the splits etc. This is the kind of profile you see often in a 39+ yo former all star.
12/27/2023 9:53 AM
I value pitches less than anyone I know. With that caveat, I think this guy can pitch to about an ML-average ERA, which would make him a valuable SP5 or LRB on a contender.
12/28/2023 8:31 AM
I went ahead and included him in a package for a top of rotation starter. Will see how he does on the other squad though and report back!
12/28/2023 6:54 PM
Posted by dedelman on 12/28/2023 8:31:00 AM (view original):
I value pitches less than anyone I know. With that caveat, I think this guy can pitch to about an ML-average ERA, which would make him a valuable SP5 or LRB on a contender.
I would agree with Dedelman.
1/2/2024 8:23 AM
The control is a bit low when having the bad pitches.. My philosophy is try him and maybe he surprises.
1/12/2024 4:22 AM
Dedelman has it about right.

That particular pitcher's problem is the P2 he has, less so than the P1. I've had pretty good pitchers with great splits and Control and P's in the high 60's across the board.
1/16/2024 1:27 PM
Good control, good splits, baaad pitch ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.