Money left over at end of season Topic

I have this coach in one of my worlds that every season if I have money left over, he'll usually trade a smaller role player for whatever money I have left over. Maybe like $2million or something. What could he be possibly spending that money on? He's a fairly successful coach, so I want to make sure I'm not missing out on any missed opportunities. Anyone?
11/29/2023 5:05 AM
Is he typically tight on money? How late in the season is he offering this? Obviously less options the later in the season it happens, can you tell if he's transferring it to prospect money to sign IFAs or last minute draft picks? Might be hoping to land a surprise player or a future DITR? Or maybe he's tight on budgets and likes to do promotions to end the season and needs money to cover the increase (however limited it would be).
11/29/2023 11:43 AM
After the regular season has ended is when he collects the money.
11/29/2023 2:43 PM
He could also be increasing the payroll cap next season if he needs to.
11/29/2023 2:55 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 11/29/2023 2:55:00 PM (view original):
He could also be increasing the payroll cap next season if he needs to.
What? Can you explain?
11/29/2023 5:53 PM
Hypno can explain it better than me. But basically, when you are trying to sign free agents during the FA period, your contract offering is limited to how much salary cap space you have over the next 3(?) seasons. And those limits are based on percentages of what your total salary+cash numbers are at the end of the current season. (I think that's right, but it could just be total salary). So finishing this season with a slightly salary cap means he can offer free agents just a little bit more next season. I bet that's what he is doing.
11/29/2023 7:38 PM (edited)
Next season's cap is 80% of this season's budget.
The next after is capped at 70% of this season's.
The next at 60% and the last at 50%.

Say your player budget this season is 100M
next is 80M, then 70M, 60M and 50M.

So if you're trying to sign a departing FA before rollover and you're slightly over for any of those seasons, a little extra this season buys a little more to sign multi year deals.

Just go to Contracts and click on negotiate with any random player. It will bring up the screen where you structure his contract.

At the top you'll see this season's player budget and how it decreases incrementally each season afterwards.
11/30/2023 3:47 AM (edited)
I've lost good players by not being able to re-up them at seasons end because of the limits.
11/30/2023 12:39 PM
Typically, I would say the owner in question is trying to sign draft picks or lower-level IFAs. The budget scenario is one I hadn't thought of, but makes sense. Also, your world allows this to happen? I know (and am in) worlds where the cash transferred in a trade can't be more than what is needed to cover the salaries of the players involved.
11/30/2023 3:37 PM
I've played in worlds in which cash was allowed to be trade. I understand both sides of the coin, and don't have a problem with it either way.
11/30/2023 6:22 PM
I use leftover cash to sign as many IFA's and any draft picks I can get, regardless of their ratings. I rarely keep any of these players and usually release many of them immediately. What this does is add players to the FA pool for future seasons so there isn't a shortage of players to fill out minor league rosters.
12/9/2023 10:03 AM
Money left over at end of season Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.