Owners Picking Already Selected Players Topic

It would be nice to have a standard rule for how to handle draft league selections when an owner picks a player that was previously selected. We have the 24 hour rule in the $52 million league but that's a long time for all of the other owners to wait. Also why can't an owner make a selection and then check back within an hour or so just to do a double check?
12/16/2018 9:50 PM
Any thoughts?
12/16/2018 9:51 PM
how about: you've exercised your pick, it's no one else's fault if you ****** it up - the draft proceeds and you can get back in w a proper pick whenever you bother to
12/16/2018 10:02 PM
Posted by copernicus on 12/16/2018 10:02:00 PM (view original):
how about: you've exercised your pick, it's no one else's fault if you ****** it up - the draft proceeds and you can get back in w a proper pick whenever you bother to
agreed
12/16/2018 10:04 PM
In the ODL, the rule is that a posted pick is final, and it cannot be changed. If we were to take it quite literally for this league, ysw's pick is final, even though it is invalid.

In any draft, once a pick is made, the next pick can be made. There is no rule that says extra time is afforded for someone who made an invalid pick.

I would argue that the rules do not specify that we have to wait for a valid pick.
12/16/2018 10:25 PM
I am in agreement with an invalid pick being skipped regardless if the draft is on the clock yet including the first round which has traditionally been untimed. It sure would make drafting a lot easier and much less frustrating.
12/16/2018 11:06 PM
I say that if you have drafted a player, and then someone else comes along and picks the player you've already taken, you should get a gold star and two supplemental picks between the end of that round and the beginning of the next round.
12/16/2018 11:07 PM
you should get that owner's pick in exchange for a later round pick!
12/17/2018 2:40 AM
Posted by copernicus on 12/16/2018 10:02:00 PM (view original):
I know this thread was sparked by the current dh52 draft, but in my experience this is already the practice in progressive leagues I've participated in. It's every owner's responsibility to follow a scheduled draft and ensure a player they want hasn't already been selected. The only real exception that comes to mind for me is if someone knows they won't be available for their time slot, sends proxies as appropriate, and states in the draft thread that they've done so. Perhaps they should get a break if they've taken all the right steps but the person who takes on the job of drafting for them misses the fact that a given player has already been selected.
12/17/2018 11:25 AM
Wow I came here this morning after a long night(go birds!) hoping I wasn’t the one holding up the draft.

Its very unusual to have not one, but two owners hold us up by picking already drafted players.

Based on everyone’s comments about the matter and the fact that we really need to finish the draft before Christmas, I’m going to allow skips on owners picking previously drafted players. Page 1 was correctly updated in both cases so the really is no excuse.

I will add this to the rules going forward.

Also since we are short on time this week I’m going to change it to a 12 hour skip rule. But that will only be for this current draft.
12/17/2018 12:47 PM
Owners Picking Already Selected Players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.