The Midge52 Rosters/Commentary Topic

17) thomcat - Chris Paul, Charles Barkley, Buck Williams, Evan Mobley, Jason Terry, Andrew Bynum, D’Angelo Russell

I like the CP3 pick and think this is about as far as Barkley should fall, warts and all. This was too early for Buck in general though, and he’s an especially bad fit for a team with Barkley since they both bring fouls and turnovers, and also ideally would both be playing the 3. Mobley in the fourth is OK but not my favorite, he’s a bit of a tweener with only 28.7% cReb, and just 95% effectiveness at SF.

I don’t think Jason Terry and D’Angelo Russell are especially strong backcourt choices, they bring shooting and a little passing but not much more. There were still a number of guards when you took Terry in particular who I think would have helped your team more, like Derrick White or Mike Conley. On the other hand, I think Bynum is a really strong addition in the sixth.

Your shooting looks nice, and I think you’ll be alright on rebounds though it’s hard to get any less from the guard spots. Overall I have this team in contention for a playoff spot, with turnovers the likely culprit if you aren’t able to punch a ticket.

Favorite pick: Bynum
Questionable pick: Buck
Who I would have taken: John Collins

18) dakjd901 - Luka Doncic, Clint Capela, Alonzo Mourning, Klay Thompson, Gerald Wallace, Deron Williams, Onyeka Okongwu

I’d have taken Kawhi over Doncic, but then had Doncic next on my board, and grabbing Capela in the second brings both value and fit. My feelings on your other picks are a mixed bag; I thought Mourning and Gerald Wallace were great picks, but am more middling on Klay and Okongwu, and really don’t care for Deron even as a limited Luka backup. Some of the guards I mentioned above like White and Conley would have made more sense instead. Or JJJ, as you said, who I like at SF better than Okongwu,

Klay is often overdrafted but it’s hard to be upset about him in the fourth; I’d have preferred one or two other options but Klay does fit in nicely alongside Luka. As does Wallace in the fifth. I guess you were really short on assists after Wallace though, which may help explain Deron, though it’d also have been an option to add more passing in Klay’s spot and avoid the issue altogether.

I’m a fan of enough going on here to have this team as a reasonable favorite to make the playoffs.

Favorite pick: Gerald Wallace
Questionable pick: Deron Williams
Who I would have taken: Mike Conley

19) samuelyork93 - Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Mookie Blaylock, Horace Grant, Kevon Looney, Kyle Anderson, Rudy Gay

These days, I think this is still a little high for Bird. He doesn’t hurt you in many categories but only really excels in a few. With Kawhi on the board, that’s who I’d have taken here. As it is with Bird, I like the Tim Duncan pick, though I would have thought about Capela here as well.

At this point you have so much usage that I’m not mad about taking Mookie in the third, though Penny would have been my pick here. Horace Grant is a fine fourth round pick though I guess it does leave me a little confused about where everyone is playing, which the next picks don’t totally clear up. And as much as you went after usage with your first two picks, this team seems short on shooting when Duncan or Bird sit. I guess that's where Gay comes in - I thought there were better options on the board but it's tough to find his skill set at SG in the sixth.

I think this was a pretty solid draft from start to finish. I like this team to outperform your 34 win pace from last season, but a shortage of quality big men has me thinking this team misses the playoffs.

Favorite pick: Kevon Looney
Questionable pick: Mookie
Who I would have taken: Anfernee Hardaway

20) 24kpyrite - Ben Wallace, Paul George, Elton Brand, Zion Williamson, Enes Kanter, Tyus Jones, Steven Adams

Ben Wallace went 29th, which is right around where I have him. While he is even better in lower cap settings, his skill set is awesome and plays in any league. This also seems right for Paul George, who brings the usage you need at this point. I would consider Wade at this spot as well, but George gives you more perimeter presence and has an EFG which is easier to swallow,

Brand is fine as a third round value but you are leaning pretty hard into so-so shooting at this point. Then poof, Zion and Kanter to help with that. Wallace, PG, and Brand are definitely doing a lot of heavy lifting here defensively but they’re a good enough trio on that front that it shouldn’t be a disaster.

Tyus and Adams are nice niche players to add in the sixth, though I might have leaned a little more into defense after adding Zion and Kanter.

I think this team will be a bit better than your 37 win Duncan/PG squad from last year, and will contend for a playoff spot.

Favorite pick:
Questionable pick: Zion
Who I would have taken: I like Zion, but with John Collins still on the board that’s who I’d have gone with. I have them close and like Zion’s usage and higher minutes, but still have a slight preference for Collins

21) longtallbrad - James Harden, Hassan Whiteside, Ben Simmons, Donyell Marshall, Bob McAdoo, Kris Humphries, Clyde Drexler

In the ODL, I would think this was an amazing spot for Harden. In the 52, my feeling is that the bar for acceptable shooting is raised just enough that Harden takes a hit to value. That said, at 21 I think that’s factored in here, and Whiteside, Marshall, Humphries, and Drexler are all excellent additions to a Harden team. I will say that Humphries is a good player but in the 52 there are several board guys who went undrafted that I like better – it’s close though and the fit here is good.

Ben Simmons, I am not as sure about. If I draft Harden I am keeping a close eye on turnovers for the rest of the draft, and while Whiteside brings enough to the table to merit his middling turnover rate, Ben Simmons is an iffy proposition in the third as it is, but seeing as you do not need his usage, I can’t justify his turnover or foul rates here. I’d have slid Walker Kessler in along your high usage start, or thought about John Collins.

I really like McAdoo near the end of the fifth, adding a little more clean paint shooting to take the burden off of Harden. Overall, I think this team is even better than your .500 squad from last season.

Favorite pick: Bob McAdoo
Questionable pick: Ben Simmons
Who I would have taken: Walker Kessler – can think of few players who’d go better with Harden

22) ty84moss - Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Walker Kessler, Larry Nance, Derrick White, Mitchell Robinson, C.J. McCollum

This is the right spot for Hakeem in a high cap league, and I’m struggling to think of anyone better than Erving in the second. Clearly I like the Walker Kessler pick since I’ve been telling everyone to take him. Really, I like all of these picks, with Mitchell Robinson in the sixth also giving absurd value.

I don’t have much to say about the team, since I liked the draft so much. I have this team as an absolute contender for a bye. If there’s one weakness it might be low passing numbers, which was the case for your team last season too though you did win the turnover battle. I think there’s just enough extra passing this time around to get you above break even in shooting.

Favorite pick: Walker Kessler and Mitchell Robinson were both so good I can’t just pick one
Questionable pick: None

23) seapilots - Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, Anfernee Hardaway, Eric Bledsoe, Kristaps Porzingis, Marques Johnson, Mike Conley

There is a whole lot of usage on this squad. I mean, did you literally not draft anyone below 22 usage? I get using the available budget to boost usage, but this feels a bit excessive. There may be some small, fringe benefits to getting your weighted usage up to about 115 instead of the 105ish I usually aim for, but anything above 115 is totally and utterly useless in my opinion, yet you seem likely to clear that bar.

Especially given the final build, I probably wouldn’t take Moses here, who I do not have as next best after Hakeem. I personally would have gone with Whiteside or Capela over Moses, or maybe Embiid, but I don’t think Moses is unreasonable here and it’s in line with his ADP. KG makes sense, and then I wholeheartedly approve of Penny in the third in the 52; it isn't right for every team but it is the right fit here.

I don’t hate any of your remaining picks, in fact they’re all pretty good, but you passed on some lower usage studs like Donyell and Favors at the 3/4 or Gafford and Mitchell Robinson at the 5/6, and I think the addition of another player or two of that type would have helped this team.

I think this team will be a little over .500.

Favorite pick: Penny
Questionable pick: After Penny, I would have picked one of Bledsoe or Conley, not drafted both
Who I would have taken: Donyell for Bledsoe

24) steelers821 - Joel Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Bill Russell, Chauncey Billups, Thaddeus Young, Daniel Gafford, Demarcus Cousins

This is probably the right spot for Embiid and Butler, though taking both only gives you about 55 minutes from your first two picks. Russell helps make up for this, and you have the usage to absorb him but Bill is still going to be putting up a lot of bad shots.

Billups isn’t always the sexiest pick but I like him for you in the fourth, especially since Mitchell Robinson doesn’t fit on this team. Thaddeus Young and Gafford are both good value where you got them, especially Gafford, and Boogie + Thad does seem to answer the backup usage question.

This roster seems perilously low on threes, though I’m not sure just how much room you have left to add to this team. Rebounding will be a strength, and your starters at least are pretty clean. I think this team will make the playoffs, but won’t reach the same highs as your 57 win team from last season. 50 wins not out of the question though.

Favorite pick: Chauncey Billups
Questionable pick: Bill Russell
Who I would have taken: Russell brings a lot to your team. But I’d have rather taken Walker Kessler who was still on the board – he doesn’t match Bill in every category but shoots better and turns it over less, and those things are important
8/2/2023 10:55 AM
Don't everyone get mad at me all at once, but here are my fully subjective RaggedRatings. I realized I really needed to do something like this after I wrote "right in the middle of the playoff race" for the fifteenth time.
ty84moss 89
chewy3344 88
beloud 86
raggedclaws 84
copernicus 83.5
midge 83
jackedjamie 82
gerryred 81
berkelon 80
steelers821 79
dontburnearl 78
jr2325 76.5
seapilots 76
24kpyrite 75
dakjd901 74
longtallbrad 73.5
pointfwd 73
riftonapple 72
thomcat 69
ysw128 68
samuelyork93 66
ncih 65
rjk2781 63
redbooda 56
8/2/2023 11:28 AM
My original plan was to play butler at PG so I felt I needed assists where ever I could get them so Russell seemed like a good fit. Billups ended up changing that plan. I’ve picked Mitch almost every year in this league so I’d would’ve been nice to pair Robinson with kessler. I still like 41mins of great rebounding, assists and 100 defense. My 3s should be fine. Butler and Thad young have a paint% in the 50s which is high for there mid 20s usage but 547 3s drafted should balance it out.

also cousins is basically a requirement to go with embiid.

thanks for the review! My numbers other than efg are pretty solid I think I won’t get to 57 wins but I do believe this team might be more ready for a long playoff run.
8/2/2023 11:29 AM
To clear up where everyone is playing the positions look like this

Mookie- PG
Looney/Anderson-SG
Bird-SF
Duncan-PF
Grant-C
Gay- SF/PF

And I have an idea and am working on something that I think will heavily improve my drafts going forward. I am using Chewy's scoring system altered a little to come up with, I guess we can call them York ratings to give each individual player a rating. With that in mind I am curious how ragged came up with his scores.
8/2/2023 12:26 PM
I don't have an especially good eval system. What I've been doing is pulling what I consider the best season of each drafted player and eyeballing those 7 as I put together the reviews, as well as consulting the draft board and prior performance. And then the scores I gave everyone are entirely made up by me, I wouldn't give them too much value.

I do have my own player scores, which is my attempt to rate every player on the same scale. And then I have a version which emphasizes big man skills, and another which is more guard oriented, though I really only use these if I notice I'm off track in rebounding or assists, since in a vacuum it's not like assists are less valuable if they come from a big man.

It's not a perfect system by any means, I think valuing low usage and high usage players in the same pool is a tricky proposition in particular, but I did update my formulae a few months back and my new board seems to be paying dividends so far.

My idea for the next time I have to write evals is, if schedule permits, to do kind of a live draft diary where I post one or maybe more times a day during the draft. It will be more difficult because of the unwritten rule of not discussing undrafted players, but I figure I can talk about team needs more generally.
8/2/2023 5:30 PM
I would be thrilled to read an essay that compares chewy scores, RaggedRatings, and York ratings.
8/2/2023 5:48 PM
If I remember correctly, beloud won two in a row, then chewy won two in a row. It will be interesting to see if raggedclaws can keep the streak alive. He rates very high on the MidgeMetric. To be perfectly honest, there is no such thing as the MidgeMetric, but I like the way it sounds.
8/2/2023 5:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9
The Midge52 Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.