Nice work so far jcred. Also:

6/19/2023 12:35 AM
Sorry for the delay. With the browser issues I put this down for the weekend.

jhsukow – Good start with Rudy Gobert, outside of usage gives just about the best of everything you want at center. Christian Wood in the second feels so high. Looks like he went around there last time so if you want him, that’s where he has to be taken. Has a couple seasons with 99% effectiveness at SG where his rebounds are off the charts. Very high eFG , shoots some 3’s and low TO’s. There is a lot to like even with very low minutes. Guess I need to think of him similar to Whiteside in that respect. You will need some assists. Another low minute high value pick with Mitchell Robinson. Can back up Gobert very effectively, maybe play beside him if you can get the usage. Lowry has a variety of seasons that can give some usage, 3’s, defense, rebounds and assists. Not usually all at once so flexibility there. Kyle Korver does one thing and 3’s are a lot easier to get. Not sure I’d waste a pick on him, kind of like drafting Reggie Evans. Had to look up Raef LaFrentz, turns out he plays some defense and is otherwise an ”minutes filler” that won’t hurt you except on the boards – but that’s not a concern for you. Gortat is anther good big man late.

Conclusion: I guess you’re taking some UFA SF who pass a lot. Your assists are crazy low, Lowry is mid 20’s and I don’t think anyone else hits 10 ast%. Nothing wrong with the strategy, there is plenty to choose from in FA. Boards are awesome, shooting is very good. Seems like you’re pushing the envelop on the usage and assist floor for rebounds and defense. I’m interested to see how you round it out.

Prediction: Worst case 34 wins, best case 50 wins

riftonapple – I was surprised and delighted by Luka last time, but I got him late 2nd round. I think his performance was definitely helped by AD, we’ll see how he does as the lead guy. McHale is a very good, clean compliment. Walker Kessler has a great partial season. Wonder if he’s going to be the next Hassan Whiteside. Bledsoe is the first pick I’m not so sure of. No Luka at the point. Bledsoe is fine and I guess you need the assists, I just like Luka better at PG. Tyreke Evans has a nice bench usage season. Jerry Lucas offers some options at PF or SF and Michael Smith is an affordable rebounder who gives you plenty of towels.

Conclusion: I think the team will be good, but not sure. You were wise to surround Luka with high eFG guys. You’ll have some UFA to fill out important spots. Interested to see how it plays out.

Prediction: Worst case 40 wins, best case 50 wins

me – I love Larry Bird, but wasn’t terribly thrilled to take him here. Was hoping to try Gobert and chickened out on David Robinson. Bird is a bit expensive and that came back to haunt me later. The plus side is he’s very easy to build around. Starts you off with plus shooting, rebounding and passing without hurting your D. Was happy Whiteside fell to me, he fits nice with Bird. Pushed it a bit with Robert Williams. Great when he’s on the floor and I think the key to drafting early rounds of ODL is to get high value guys and fill in later. Mike Conley is the fill in. I don’t love the pick, but settled on him because he doesn’t hurt you anywhere. Gives you 3’s and enough assists and some D. Clean player. He also has a few seasons to use for roster flexibility. I had been hoping to grab Vanderbilt or Looney but had to settle for Josh Hart. I did get one of my favorite super usage subs in D’Angelo Russell. I love finding back up usage that also fills some other need (bench assists) and 152 3’s in 1300 minutes! Grabbed Melton to help with back court D.

Conclusion: This team is not as good as last time. Bird and Whiteside cost a lot and had me chasing guys late. The Offensive Rebounding combo of Dampier and Gadzuric served me very well last time, this team won’t be as good with possessions. Maybe they’ll make more shots.

Prediction: Worst case 42 wins, best case 54 wins

Rjk2781 – David Robinson can be very successful in the sim. I’ve been a little scared off him in the past because of the lack of rebounding and in the ODL, the price. But he’s a major talent if you can put the right pieces with him. Garnett is another pricey choice. At SF he would immediately cover Robinsons rebounds, but that’s a lot of money. Maybe you’ll go with a lower minute season – maybe his 100 D Celtics season. Klay is a great shooter and defender, not one I’d pair with Robinson. You have a ton of usage and good D. Draymond can fill the lack of assists from Klay if he’s SF. And you can stack 3 100 defenders if you want. Otto Porter I assume is a Klay back up, crazy low TO’s at SG. Nash and Calderon eliminate the possibility you’ll try Draymond at the point. You can get away with them given your defense.

Conclusion: Pretty interesting how you pulled it together. A lot of talent and I wonder how you make the money work, but these players all have multiple very valuable seasons. I like it.

Prediction: Worst case 40 wins, best case 55 wins

Cem6989 – Kareem at 18 shows how strategic owners have become with drafting. I’m sure he was historically at top 5 guy, went 14 last time. An incredible scorer who can is expensive . Offers enough rebounds, good to great D and some passing. Chandler is a nice pick next to him. The only compliant is you paint yourself in a corner a bit with best player available as you need all back court and wing, but again the drafts are so deep so it’s not the end of the world. Magic I’m not sure of. Kareem and Magic aren’t just annoying as hell to a Boston fan, they are expensive. Then you go Ben Simmons who will lock in teams to a minus 2 or 3 on you. Plenty of passing and boards and very good D. Not sure how you’ll make it work. Covington I’m guessing is a back up SG when Magic or Simmons slide to the point, solid pick that gets a few much needed 3’s. Does the Manute Bol thing really work? I assume you have the Center only minutes pretty much figured out. Will be hard to address usage dropping from a guy high 20’s to single digits. Danny Green is fine, but I’m worried he or Covington will be at SF

Conclusion: Pretty strange approach in my opinion, there is talent there buy it seems very expensive and the latter part of the draft went sideways. Is this your first ODL? If so you did pretty good considering.

Prediction: Worst case 28 wins, best case 42 wins

DH555 – Kawhi is an understandable pick here, very efficient defender who also has manageable minutes (talk about a positive spin on load management!) and therefore budget for flexible roster building. Kyrie is in the same boat. You may have a hard time finding someone to coach this team. Jarrett Allen is another high value pick, efficient player and solid defender. Manu up next, kind of a greatest hits of some of the most valuable mid/part time minute guys. Impressive backcourt. Dikembe is a good pick here and shows how you can get value late when you manage your way through early to mid round picks. Larry Nance is another excellent pick that I assume you have the money for, Rose gives good bench usage

Conclusion: Really good draft get affordable value with manageable minutes. I’d say this is a blueprint on how to build a team in the ODL draft. If that’s not a biggest enough jinx….

Prediction: Worst case 48 wins, best case 62 wins
6/19/2023 4:32 PM
Thanks for the eval. Once I had Gobert, I had Westbrook on my mind. I have had Raef LaFrentz on my board for years and finally drafted him.

Now, I have Wood and Korver stinking up the joint and no triple-doubles from Westbrook.
6/19/2023 10:54 PM
I had planned on Luka running the point but when Bledsoe dropped to the 4th Rd, I couldn’t resist. I don’t ever recall Bledsoe falling to the 4th?
6/19/2023 11:37 PM
Very late but thanks for the review Jcred!
6/20/2023 10:29 AM
Very weird, I run Edge and I did not any browsers issues at any point.
6/20/2023 10:38 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/20/2023 10:38:00 AM (view original):
WIS knows who the VIP’s are. Lol
6/20/2023 10:57 AM
Ok - last one. I finished writing the evals without looking at the teams to maintain the integrity (ha!) of the early evals.

benhoidal – The ODL King starts off with DeAndre. Not who I might normally predict he’d like to start with, but he has incredible rebounds, impactful eFG even with low usage and usually good D. Can be a lot of money for not a lot of usage. Towns is a really cool compliment, you’ve got a lot of boxes checked early. Love SGA and given where you took him, I’d guess you’re going with the new season. Plenty of usage with low TO’s and good elsewhere. Surprised by how little 3’s this past season – thought he was higher. Brandon Clarke is a very valuable low minutes player. You can play him at the 3 or the 2. Glove Jr. has that awesome back up season with Golden State. Iguodala will probably be used as a low usage wing that plays good D. And Marvin Williams gives you 3’s at SF and some D.

Conclusion: To the surprise of no one Ben has a great draft. Ben will be in contention again, exactly where to be determined by the division draft and whims of the sim.

Prediction: Worst case 50 wins, best case 62 wins

Midge – Tim Duncan is a fine start, does everything – would typically scare me off a bit by his price and high usage with modest eFG. Outside of the money easy to build around. Walton fits well with the lower minutes. Still a pricey start, but real good quality. John Collins is another quality lower minutes guy. I like the efficient shooting around Duncan. Same thing with Portis. And with Kyle Anderson. So far good draft approach for a guy like Walton, surround him with high value/modest minute guys. Plenty of D as well. My favorite IRL 6th round picks in Derrick White and Malcom Brogdon. I had not noticed how good his last season was – super valuable guy that should go lower in future drafts. Brogdon’s latest season is very tempting and I assume the way you’ll go.

Conclusion: Aside from my love the of the 6th round picks, seems like a good draft. Can you make the money work around Duncan is my question.

Prediction: Worst case 38 wins, best case 49 wins

raggedclaws – James Harden is a real good start. I’ve never had the guts to try him in a draft league, better owners than me have had a lot of success with him. Capela is great, love him paired with Harden. Exactly the kind of guy I’d think you want. Favors is a fine pick, people love him. His later career low minute high defense season is popular. Low boards but I’m coming to terms with that in drafts more often. Harrell is good value and similar to Capela, a very good Harden pairing. In the sixth you grab Nance Jr, solid affordable guy. Kemba I assume is Harden back up and will play beside him at times. But the Lonzo pick has me rethinking that approach

Conclusion: I think another good team, just a bit curious on the Harden, Kemba, Lonzo. Guess I’m not a big Kemba fan, but I can see the appeal. Otherwise a roster that strongly compliments Harden.

Prediction: Worst case 45 wins, best case 55 wins

notoriusJ – For the Rodman pick, I’m going to assume you’re going to drop $9.2M on his top season. Otherwise it’s folly to take him this high. Some would argue even that season is too high. The concern being the very low usage and very high price with a 47M budget. Don’t get the Barkley pick. Another player most valuable at SF. Maybe you’re going with a PF season like the first Phoenix season? Or maybe you’re taking a PF Rodman season? Or maybe you want the flexibility to decide later. Oladipo seems too early. Fine player with one good season, but better value on the board. Parish is a solid pick – the money is going to be a problem I think. LaMelo is fine. Austin Reaves ok and Beverly an affordable defender.

Conclusion: I think too many owners drafted well for your team to be successful. I might be missing how you’ll put it together. But the first two picks I think put you in a tough position.

Prediction: Worst case 20 wins, best case 34 wins

ncih – I do like the start of Lillard and Wallace, it’s a fun pair that compliments each other. I think Tatum is a bit high, but not too much. His new season is pretty nice, I’d like it at SG. Great boards, TS% and TO’s. The book is out to good owners on Buck. His towels are so tough to overcome. I used to fall into this trap, 18 usage, 58.8 efg over 37 creb, 70D…. come on!!! That’s one season, there are other similar ones. But he averages 8 to 9 towels a game and I feel like in the sim, it goes up. Poor FT hurts the eFG. Someone I want to love, but my personal experience has scared me off. Miles Bridges has a nice season or two, but I like him at the 2 and you have Tatum. Maybe if you were playing Tatum at the point, but you have Lillard. I’m running too late on finishing these evals to look up if Kyle Macy sometimes gets drafted, I don’t’ see it. Not that he’s so terrible, but I don’t get what he’s doing on this team and doesn’t seem worthy a draft pick. My thoughts on Marc Gasol are somewhat dependent on what season you’re taking.

Conclusion: You were my first choice in the division draft, so that speaks to my thoughts on how successful I think your team will be. I did that prior to the eval and this team might be a little better than I thought, we’ll see.

Prediction: Worst case 20 wins, best case 35 wins

Chewy3344 – Chewy traded out of the first and took Marcus Camby. A responsible pick with great D, affordable and rebounds with a few assists. I think he was once called the finically responsible better option than DeAndre Jordan by someone…. You’ll have your work cut out to put a team around him. Kidd is ok. Never been a big fan of the low eFG and higher TO’s, but he makes up for some of that with his rebounds and D. Vucevic is a really nice pairing with Camby, great 3’s and another front court passer. Lavine has been my Savage nemesis (among others). Another good fit next to Kidd. McCollum is a nice efficient pick and both he and Lavine can back up Kidd if you can keep enough assists on the floor. O’Quinn is very good behind Camby, Noah could be the same behind Vucevic or maybe you go the SF version.

Conclusion: I like most of what you did around Camby even if Kidd isn’t my favorite. Plenty of things that are good, but I’m not sure anything is great. And I think the usage could be low at times depending on what you do with UFA.

Prediction: Worst case 40 wins, best case 50 wins
6/20/2023 5:55 PM
Posted by chewy3344 on 6/20/2023 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 6/20/2023 10:38:00 AM (view original):
WIS knows who the VIP’s are. Lol
Considering I haven't paid for a team in like maybe 5 years then I think I would probably qualify as an LVP?
6/20/2023 10:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.