I prefer Jason Collins over Garner anyway, and as Ben points out there are plenty of mutated 3 eyed lungfish in that particular cesspool
6/11/2023 9:02 PM
Posted by copernicus on 6/11/2023 9:03:00 PM (view original):
I prefer Jason Collins over Garner anyway, and as Ben points out there are plenty of mutated 3 eyed lungfish in that particular cesspool
6/12/2023 12:10 PM
Division Draft
_
jcred5 riftonapple jhsukow ty84moss
ncih cem6989 jethroeg jethroeg
jethroeg 24kpyrite cem6989 ncih
bfhendricks robusk rjk2781 rjk2781
cem6989 copernicus ncih cem6989
PBandJ rjk2781 PBandJ bfhendricks
rjk2781 steelers821 steelers821 NotoriousJ
NotoriousJ NotoriousJ copernicus PBandJ
berkelon PBandJ reeldeal01 berkelon
gerryred bfhendricks NotoriousJ copernicus
copernicus gerryred bfhendricks 24kpyrite
Midge dh555 gerryred reeldeal01
24kpyrite ncih Midge steelers821
reeldeal01 reeldeal01 berkelon Midge
dh555 jethroeg raggedclaws gerryred
jackedjamie berkelon dh555 raggedclaws
steelers821 chewy3344 24kpyrite jackedjamie
chewy3344 Midge chewy3344 dh555
raggedclaws raggedclaws jackedjamie chewy3344
robusk benhoidal robusk robusk
benhoidal jackedjamie benhoidal benhoidal
-
-
-
-
Atlantic Midwest Pacific Central
jcred5 riftonapple jhsukow ty84moss
ncih cem6989 jethroeg rjk2781
bfhendricks 24kpyrite PBandJ NotoriousJ
berkelon robusk steelers821 copernicus
gerryred dh555 reeldeal01 Midge
jackedjamie chewy3344 raggedclaws benhoidal
6/13/2023 10:53 PM
Riftonapple on a suicide mission, holy ****. Bangers only.
6/14/2023 7:14 AM
Sharing a few thoughts on the draft. ODL is tough to eval because I’m not sure what season someone might use and roster construction can be hard to forecast given how much quality is un-drafted. So I’ll share some theories, my conclusions, maybe some humor and a possible worst and best case scenario for wins. Hope you enjoy. Next 6 coming soon...

Berkelon – I hadn’t expected to start by evaluating his 6th round picks that seemed to cause such a stir. At first I thought maybe taking a couple scrubs isn’t a bad idea, leave yourself options with undrafted players rather than committing yourself to something. Then I realized it was the last pick, you can have anyone and no one is waiting for you to finish. Strange choice to just throw away 2 of your 7 picks. Evals for ODL involve guessing and reputation, and I’m guessing berkelon is having a hard time coming up with a plan to put this team together. LeBron is a no brainer, I don’t mind Drummond but he managed to surround him with some of the lower FT% guys. Smart teams will foul them late and that could cost him more than a few close games. If Boucher is SG and Zion is SF, assists are way too low. If Boucher is SF – you over drafted the SF position. Then Horford, boy I don’t know.

Conclusion: Berkelon is asking too much of LeBron. I don’t see his 5th title coming.

Prediction: Worst case 30 wins, best case 42 wins

Jackedjamie – I really love starting with Steph and Dr.J. That would be a dream Savage pairing. I’ll try not to lean on this too much, but in ODL I don’t know if that’s too much money for 2 guys at the top. If you can make the money work and take top Steph and top or near top Doc – watch out. Valanciunas is a nice efficient guy, great boards and partial seasons. Vanderbilt is great, but where is he playing? If either he or Doc are SF that’s a missed opportunity. Dave Davis fouls a lot, but you can use one of his defensive seasons to cover Valanciunas. Varejao is fine, Dunn I’m not so sure. Maybe a defensive back up to Steph.

Conclusion: It’s all about Steph and Doc. If you can minimize either of them playing SF, with some Valanciunas inside, your team could be great. No one will have enough perimeter D to slow them both down.

Prediction: Worst case 38 wins, best case 55 wins

jethroeg – I think 3 is too high for Shaq. I like him a lot. But not this high. His FT really hurts the TS%. His rebounds are mediocre and defensive is good depending the season. Wade is ok, I’ll be interested to see what season. Looking at your later picks he’s probably a SG. Marion is great, no complaints here. Rondo can be ok, a bit sloppy. But my concern is roster construction. You have very low 3’s and I’ll be going minus 2 or 3 against you and hurting Shaq’s efficiency. Aldridge is a solid fill guy, but one that I would think is available as an UFA. Maybe consider a super usage sub or something next time. Ford and Govan are terrible, I’m not sure why you picked them.

Conclusion: Unfortunately I don’t think you’re team will be very good and I hope I get you in the division draft.

Prediction: Worst case 20 wins, best case 35 wins

bfhendricks – Giannis is a great start. Obviously great numbers and what I also like in the ODL is his minutes are not that high keeping his price down and making budgeting a bit easier. Hakeem is tough. He can be a lot of money for not the most impactful return. Your defense is off to a great start and you can lean on that. Richaun Holmes is a nice responsible pick. Boerwinkle I don’t like in this format. His rebounds are great and his assists make him stand out, but with Giannis you already had great front court assists. I’d have spent money elsewhere. Delon Wright does work well and you can start him at the point where others often couldn’t because of your FC passing. Ceballos can be good, Ward – not so much. Really high TO’s. If you use a low minutes season it’s not the end of the world

Conclusion: Great defense. It may come down to what you get with UFA. You probably need a lot of SG minutes, but those can be somewhat easy to get given you don’t need to draft defense there. I can see this being pretty good or pretty bad.

Prediction: Worst case 38 wins, best case 50 wins

Realdeal01 – Jokic is certainly the man in the NBA right now and if you can put enough defense around him to take advantage of his shooting and passing it can work. Bam is a strange fit. The assist bump has been fixed and that doesn’t mean plenty of assists are bad, but with Bam and a 47M cap it’s not where I’d choose to spend my money. He does give good D that you need, but his rebounds are pretty light. Donovan Mitchell’s new season is great, I can definitely see the appeal and you can play him at PG given your front court. You have plenty of usage. Bogut is probably another defender next to Jokic – he’s fine. Adams I do like, but not sure on the fit here. He’s never a defender, I guess you take his more recent passing seasons to back up Jokic and keep the FC assists going? I do like his OREB and pretty much good shooting, but a curious pick. As a side note please name your team “Dark Alley”. Adams and Jokic are high on my list of guys I would not want to meet in a dark alley. I would like to see them on the court together if Jimmy Butler tried one of his Premier League floppers and see those guys draw and quarter him. Thabo is fine late, Drexler can be useful with his supersub season or potentially a full time season if you can make the money work.

Conclusion: A team with Mitchell running the point, Jokic and Bam inside sounds fun. But ultimately you probably won’t get enough stops and your rebounding may not even be that good. Should be some fun box scores.

Prediction: Worst case 35 wins, best case 48 wins

PBandJ – Wilt at 6 feels like it should be a steal. I would personally be a little scared to build around him, but DH I believe had the best season in the history of this league with him. Pippen is a solid guy to supplement Wilt. For this write up I’m going to assume you’re going with 66-67 Wilt. Ibaka is another good supplement, great D and efficient shooting. Larry Sanders if a fine front court guy next to Wilt and kudos for the abundance of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If you are going 66-97 Wilt you usage is a bit low, but it’s not that hard to find. Deron Williams will put up shots for you and give more than enough assists. Really good defensive team going. Jeff Green and Brent Barry – Barry I like with this team. Jeff Green I looked up and had to start scrolling through the 20 something teams he’s been on and gave up. I assume he fills some need for you.

Conclusion: I’m guessing your bench is going to be very “affordable”, but you drafted some major talent. If you can keep enough usage on the floor you could compete for a championship with this roster. Although Ben’s ODL history page says you average 34 wins so maybe not.

Prediction: Worst case 35 wins, best case 55 wins. Pretty wide range.
6/14/2023 10:24 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/14/2023 7:14:00 AM (view original):
lol....yeah, I get confused with all the trades that go on and we didn't have a separate forum this time where everybody's team was laid out in front of me so I just threw darts at it.
6/14/2023 11:04 AM
Wilt at 6th was begging me to take him. I was hoping he wouldn't fall to me because I am not certain that I am good enough to figure this out. Yes my bench is very affordable, but taking Uncle Jeff allowed me to splurge on 8 minutes worth of high qualityish PG minutes that I was wanting to try in this league.

I agree with the "probably not" thing as well. It made me laugh loud enough that one of my coworkers asked me what was so funny....my response was "my ineptitude."
6/14/2023 11:20 AM
lol it was borderline disrespectful to have you that high and I am here for it.
6/14/2023 1:54 PM
Posted by NotoriousJ on 6/14/2023 1:54:00 PM (view original):
lol it was borderline disrespectful to have you that high and I am here for it.
I am not entitled to any position, I didn't win my division and those this **** show if my penance. We will all be lucky to win 45 games tbh though. What a mess.
6/14/2023 5:01 PM
Steelers821 – You made a trade to grab Dwight Howard, not much to add about the pick. Sounds like you got pants’d – we’ll see how it works out. I won my first ODL championship with KD so he has a warm place in my basketball heart. Gives you some roster building flexibility to go in a couple directions. Now the consequence – Kevin Love is fine. He actually fits pretty well with Howard. Shoots 3’s and rebounds great. Think he’s pretty clean. In the sixth you start with JJJ and Thad Young. With Howard and Love you can certainly play JJJ at SF and grab that 100 D season. Thad Young has a lot going on, maybe some version of a SG season with + rebounds. Not bad value. I guess he can even play PG? Where’s KD playing? Last up is Tyus Jones and Gafford. Kinda like his super low TO seasons with solid fill elsewhere. Gafford is probably best used at SF, which makes me think KD at SG and Thad in a sub role or even some PG

Conclusion: I’m not so sure Steelers was pants’d. On precedence I trust those more experienced in ODL trades it was an over pay – but my assessment of the ODL draft is that there is definite value in round 1 and early round 2 – than it’s a full on crap shoot. There is so much talent out there that I think it’s worth considering trading up to grab a couple of the best. I really have no idea what this team will be. It could really be great or a bit of a mess.

Prediction: Worst case 40 wins, best case 52 wins

24kpyrite – Feels early for Embiid, but that new season is something else. Great TS, pretty good boards and good assists. Only 60 D though. Interesting pick for sure, I can see the appeal. I love me some Haliburton. That new season is awesome. Low minutes but fantastic when he’s on the floor. If I could buy stock in a players future season Haliburton would be my first pick. Donyell is a good solid pick. You’ve got defense, scoring, efficiency and rebounding with front court, back court and wing covered. Nice start. Looney was a guy I was targeting, nice grab there. Your team can definitely support him at SG. Rebounds are great. McGee is another good pick nice fill behind Embiid. Finish with Jamal Murray and Yao. Looks like Murry is PG with a little SG behind Tyrese. Yao is interesting because you have 2 or 3 Center only guys. Maybe McGee has some PF eligible seasons.

Conclusion: Probably my favorite team so far. As long as you didn’t mess up the Embiid, McGee, Ming rotation I think you’ll do well.

Prediction: Worst case 44 wins, best case 55 wins

robusk – AD is very good value here, think I had him at 6 last time. He does nothing wrong and many things very well. If he has a flaw it’s average rebounding, which is not hard to get elsewhere. Jrue Holiday is a great pairing. Defense, shooting in recent years and enough assists if you do it right. Via trade rob grabs Porter, super effective wing player – so much to like. Then Batum who has turned into a very versatile SG. Has some pretty good defense seasons and some earlier passing and rebound seasons if you need that. Had to look up Xavier Tillman and it turns out he’s good. Low minutes but very attractive, reminds me of a more defensive Looney at the 2. Desmond Bane is another one, rob working some roster magic. I hadn’t noticed his new season and it’s impressive. I think Rob likes to push the envelope on low assists so he could play SG or even PG. Porzingas’ new season is very efficient and I would guess will largely come in with the second unit to carry the offense.

Conclusion: Great draft, very good team. When I see the value in players like this late, that’s why I think you can get away with giving up some middle round picks.

Prediction: Worst case 48 wins, best case 62 wins

copernicus – Chris Paul is a good start and value at this point. There is an increasing number of quality guards, CP is still near the top. PG3 fits nice next to Paul and offers a variety of similar seasons to help with roster building. Moses in the 3rd feels like a complete steal. Not the most modern player with modest eFG and can be a bit sloppy with the towels, but he gets to the line a lot and you may be able to make the money wok with slightly lesser seasons of CP and PG. Horace Grant is another solid player that fits well and I like Ayton next to Moses. Biyombo and Bogdan2 are two nice role players.

Conclusion: Seems like a really good draft, the concern is when I see this many good players I worry about the money/bench. If you can make it work should be a great team

Prediction: Worst case 44 wins, best case 58 wins

gerryred – Malone and Stockton is a really fun start for Gerry. Mailman has had a lot of success in the ODL, we’ll see if he can replicate it with Stockton. Certainly a good start with passing, shooting and some D. Claxton’s new season is excellent, with incredible shooting and very good defense. Faried is a valuable SF with great rebounding and solid across the board. Poeltl has a lot of good shooting and rebounding seasons and won’t hurt you on D. Hield and Smith were statistically meant to be together. Very reminiscent of each other.

Conclusion: This is another good team in my view. Stockton wouldn’t normally be high on my list but you got him late and with good value. I think you’ve set yourself up pretty well.

Prediction: Worst case 44 wins, best case 52 wins

Ty84moss – Michael Jordan at 13, geez. I know he’s expensive and doesn’t give over the top rebounds or assists and his eFG is good but not modern great. And doesn’t shoot 3’s. But his 89-90 season gives $3,227 per minute of value. Some of that is the 33.7 usage. But the consensus best season in the sim is 12-13 LeBron that costs $3,326 per minute with 3 less usage. 15-16 Steph is $3,208 per minute at 1 less usage. My point is that there’s a lot of value, too much to go 13. I guess the price tag can be limiting in middle rounds and that’s the turn off. Moving on ty takes Jimmy Butler in what must be a robusk wet dream. It is a very good pairing. Jackedjamie has Steph and Doc, that’s the only one that compares for backcourt tandem. Mobley is interesting. You can use his new 90D season, but the boards weak. Great shooting though. Or you can take the rookie season with SF eligibility where the boards are fine. Flexibility can be good. I like Kanter. Maybe a little early but it’s fine. Has some excellent rebounding and eFG seasons. Bo Outlaw is a cheap defender. You have a great defensive squad around Kanter. I very much hope you’re using the new supersub Mikal Bridges season to back up Jordan’s usage. And not sending Jimmy or MJ to SF. George Hill is a fine back up.

Conclusion: This could be a great team, not much more to add.

Prediction: Worst case 48 wins, best case 60 wins
6/14/2023 10:12 PM
I should have taken Camby in the 2nd - the minute chewy took him right after me I knew I'd screwed the pooch - PG13 is replacement value easy - 2 guard is such a deep field

anyway nice work jcred5 - thank you!
6/14/2023 10:46 PM
Thanks for the writeups jcred5. Admittedly, I do like my team more than usual but with this division I don't see very lofty win totals tbh. I don't see any sniffing 50.
6/15/2023 12:10 PM
Your division is bonkers. I wrote these up without considering divisions or that one owner would stuff his division full of studs. Which I very much appreciated!
6/15/2023 1:49 PM

But his 89-90 season gives $3,227 per minute of value. Some of that is the 33.7 usage. But the consensus best season in the sim is 12-13 LeBron that costs $3,326 per minute with 3 less usage. 15-16 Steph is $3,208 per minute at 1 less usage. My point is that there’s a lot of value, too much to go 13.

Interesting!
6/16/2023 1:44 PM
Thanks for the eval--I know playing Vanderbilt at SF isn't the best scenario(2nd best though?), but I went for Steph and ORB. Davis does foul but I thought some people do well with lots of fouls, so I thought I would not give a sht about it this time lol. Also I was trying to find some D to help with Valanciunas and cost efficient. I think this is the most total ORB I have had in the ODL. I focused on it once before(went with Hakeems best ORB season) and I think I went to the finals. "fingers crossed this time"
6/16/2023 7:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.