Commentary for DH $52M Draft League LXVI Topic

Curry / Evans
?
Nance / Henson
Pau / West
Camby

If someone else wants to do full evals, by all means.

Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
Stephen Curry 15-16 Warriors PG 32.6 56.2 45.3 63 2.7 12.9 22.2 2.7 0.3
Tyreke Evans 17-18 Grizzlies SG 28.4 47.4 39.6 52.3 2.9 15.3 21.9 1.6 0.6
Pau Gasol 10-11 Lakers PF 21.9 52.7 33.2 53 9.6 19.1 11.4 0.7 2.5
David West 17-18 Warriors PF 21.7 56.8 37.3 57.5 7.3 16.8 15.5 2 4
John Henson 15-16 Bucks PF 19.1 56.2 0 56.4 10 14.9 7.1 0.8 6.6
Larry Nance 91-92 Cavaliers PF 19.1 53.9 0 53.9 8.1 16 9.4 1.2 4.5
Marcus Camby 07-08 Nuggets C 13.2 45.3 29.8 45.5 9 29.7 11.4 1.3 5.7
9/10/2019 5:29 AM (edited)
Posted by vancem on 9/10/2019 12:40:00 AM (view original):
Still hating on you robusk for drafting my current favorite player. I'm thinking that I got lucky getting Clifford Ray to help with defensive rebounding and assists. Also adding Pascal Siakam's 59 EFG% to keep Kemba Walker's 52.7 EFG% from hurting as much was helpful.

Curious about how this team will match up with LTB's after that trade. That team has a lot of defense but lower EFG%. I don't like Gary Payton taking shots away from David Robinson.
Yeah you and gerryred are fellow Portland guys right?
9/10/2019 2:04 AM
I'm in Texas, no connections to Portland
9/10/2019 5:35 AM
Posted by vancem on 9/10/2019 12:40:00 AM (view original):
Still hating on you robusk for drafting my current favorite player. I'm thinking that I got lucky getting Clifford Ray to help with defensive rebounding and assists. Also adding Pascal Siakam's 59 EFG% to keep Kemba Walker's 52.7 EFG% from hurting as much was helpful.

Curious about how this team will match up with LTB's after that trade. That team has a lot of defense but lower EFG%. I don't like Gary Payton taking shots away from David Robinson.
Siakam was an absolute steal in the middle of the 6th. I thought long and hard about taking him, but in the end I thought I needed someone with more rebounds and fewer fouls to back up McHale and Tyler. I may regret not taking Pascal.
9/10/2019 8:34 AM
Name Position MP Usg% eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Tov% Stl% Blk% Def
96-97 Mookie Blaylock PG 38 21.9 52.8 4.2 10.6 21.2 13.0 3.3 0.4 83
88-89 Magic Johnson PG/SG 35 24.3 53.5 4.3 17.0 37.7 18.4 2.0 0.4 54
97-98 Bo Outlaw SF 36 13.3 55.4 9.3 14.5 10.3 20.5 1.7 3.7 94
92-93 Hakeem Olajuwon PF 40 28.8 52.5 10.0 24.8 11.0 12.4 2.0 5.8 100
96-97 Chris Webber C/PF 34 24.6 54.3 9.7 19.7 14.6 15.0 2.0 2.9 80
95-96 Arvydas Sabonis C 21 25.5 57.2 9.3 27.2 9.8 15.2 1.7 2.7 53
96-97 Toni Kukoc SG 20 21.4 51.2 6.3 10.9 19.1 11.8 1.7 1.1 62

I am worried about this team especially when it comes to rebounding, efficiency, and turnovers. But the defense I think is decent and I don't have alot of minutes I have to fill in with undrafted players. We will see, If I make the playoffs I will consider this a great success but I think no championship for me this year
9/10/2019 10:07 AM
PG Rondo/Calderon
SG Lowry/Calderon
SF Brand/Ryan Anderson
PF Buck Williams
C Anthony Davis

I've been very frustrated recently with game spikes for TO and Fouls so I wanted a very clean team. I probably over swung in that area. That's why I ended up with AD in the 1st round. Have never considered him as a 1st rounder because of below avg rebounding and average eFG for a #1. But is recent 17-18 season offers great usage at over 55 efg which isn't bad and 100 D. Not to mention a few 3's and getting to the line a bit. I also have a rudimentary formula I sometimes use to evaluate player value based on minutes and cost and was surprised how high Davis scored. Took Brand for the same reason. Buck was earlier than I would normally have gone, but I needed to grab some oREB and eFG and he fits that. Happy Lowry and Rondo were both that a little later. And very happy with Calderon. Anderson gives some much needed 3's.
9/10/2019 10:12 AM
Posted by gerryred on 9/10/2019 5:35:00 AM (view original):
Hmm I can't remember who the other person was...
9/10/2019 12:41 PM
I really wanted to use 17-18 Durant but I can’t get under 19500 minutes with him, so 12-13 it is
9/10/2019 5:49 PM
Posted by dBKC on 9/10/2019 5:49:00 PM (view original):
I really wanted to use 17-18 Durant but I can’t get under 19500 minutes with him, so 12-13 it is
Seems like a weird constraint to place on yourself if you think 17-18 is the better vintage.
9/10/2019 5:59 PM
I don't think you should be trying to get under 19500 minutes in this league the way you would in the ODL. (Though If you can use the entire budget and be under 19500 minutes, you're probably in good shape.) This cap is not nearly as restrictive as the ODL, and you should be trying to get the most efficient minutes no matter what they cost. if you can put together a team with 19800 minutes that you think has a better 19500 minutes than a team that has 19500 minutes total, you should do the former. In other words, if you are picking 12-13 because the combination of 17-18 and whoever you get to fill the roughly 800-minute difference between 12-13 and 17-18 is collectively not as good as having 12-13, then that makes sense. If you're doing it just to get under an arbitrary minutes threshold, that doesn't make sense.

Note that, while I'm not sure exactly what the formula is - robusk or someone else may know - I'm pretty sure you pay a premium for players who play more minutes. In other words, if you theoretically had a 3000-minute player and two 1500-minute players whose per-minute/rate statistics were all exactly the same, you would pay more for the 3000-minute player than the two 1500-minute players. So players with more minutes will often cost more per minute than players with fewer minutes even if they're not actually BETTER. (This is most evident when looking at players who were traded midseason; for example, the "full" season of 07-08 Shaq - 1750 minutes - costs a little over $4.1 million; however, if you separately got the Heat half of his season (947 minutes) and the Suns half of his season (803 minutes) the combined cost would be a little over $3.7 million, even though it adds up to the same 1750 minutes.)

So - by picking several player seasons with larger minute totals, you will drive up your cost per minute and therefore drive down the total number of minutes you have on your team. But you would not necessarily be making your team better in doing so.
9/10/2019 7:05 PM
You guys made some good points - I actually went back and tried to make it work. I think I’m still going to go with the 12-13 version though. Having Durant on the court for an extra 10 minutes per game is worth the big minute version being slightly worse per minute.
9/10/2019 10:21 PM
Posted by robusk on 9/10/2019 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gerryred on 9/10/2019 5:35:00 AM (view original):
Hmm I can't remember who the other person was...
Slymonium was a PDX guy
9/10/2019 11:02 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 9/10/2019 7:05:00 PM (view original):
I don't think you should be trying to get under 19500 minutes in this league the way you would in the ODL. (Though If you can use the entire budget and be under 19500 minutes, you're probably in good shape.) This cap is not nearly as restrictive as the ODL, and you should be trying to get the most efficient minutes no matter what they cost. if you can put together a team with 19800 minutes that you think has a better 19500 minutes than a team that has 19500 minutes total, you should do the former. In other words, if you are picking 12-13 because the combination of 17-18 and whoever you get to fill the roughly 800-minute difference between 12-13 and 17-18 is collectively not as good as having 12-13, then that makes sense. If you're doing it just to get under an arbitrary minutes threshold, that doesn't make sense.

Note that, while I'm not sure exactly what the formula is - robusk or someone else may know - I'm pretty sure you pay a premium for players who play more minutes. In other words, if you theoretically had a 3000-minute player and two 1500-minute players whose per-minute/rate statistics were all exactly the same, you would pay more for the 3000-minute player than the two 1500-minute players. So players with more minutes will often cost more per minute than players with fewer minutes even if they're not actually BETTER. (This is most evident when looking at players who were traded midseason; for example, the "full" season of 07-08 Shaq - 1750 minutes - costs a little over $4.1 million; however, if you separately got the Heat half of his season (947 minutes) and the Suns half of his season (803 minutes) the combined cost would be a little over $3.7 million, even though it adds up to the same 1750 minutes.)

So - by picking several player seasons with larger minute totals, you will drive up your cost per minute and therefore drive down the total number of minutes you have on your team. But you would not necessarily be making your team better in doing so.
I never tried to reverse engineer the exact per minute increase in costs but yeah you are right about all of this.
9/11/2019 2:13 AM
Alright alright, I changed my mind. 17-18 Durant it is. I’m starting to like this team quite a bit - hurry up and join so I don’t have time to change my mind again though
9/11/2019 4:43 PM
Evalulations (not to be taken too seriously)

redbooda - LeBron James, Al Horford, Kyrie Irving, Rick Barry, Kevin Love, Chris Bosh, John Collins - Good news: super efficient. Kyrie as a LeBron backup would be ill. Bad news: grand total of like 9 OReb%? You'll need to figure out the rebounding/interior D situation, and it'll probably mean racking up some fouls. Biggest concern here is the possession battle, but I think Horford needs to be a perennial 3rd round pick and don't think he was a reach at all. Rick Barry is the kiss of death. Not a ton of solid frontcourt rebounding minutes. Collins and Bosh are sneaky good, but I'm skeptical of your offensive rebounds, FTAs, defense, and blocks. Something is going to give almost every game. Prediction: misses playoffs

vancem - Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Eric Bledsoe, Kemba Walker, Pascal Siakam, Clifford Ray, Joel Przybilla - Great backcourt D, obviously enough passing and efficiency. I always want a high usage, high efficiency guy to go with Wilt, and Doc certainly fits the bill. Great start. You filled out the starting lineup nicely. Siakam is a nice touch with Doc and Wilt on account of efficiency and 3s, and a steal that late in the draft. This is a great mix centered around the SIM GOAT. Prediction: contender

hoopsdude - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob McAdoo, Terry Porter, Charlie Ward, Paul Millsap, Terrence Jones, Monte Morris - Well, you locked yourself into lots and lots of subpar rebounding and subpar passing. Definitely efficient, but I'd worry about everything else. Ward addressed passing, but doesn't contribute much on offense, and has a high TO% and foul/FTA ratio. Millsap, Jones and Morris don't move the needle much. Prediction: misses playoffs

bds9992 - Steph Curry, Marcus Camby, Larry Nance, Pau Gasol, Tyreke Evans, David West, John Henson - Looks like I'm trying to surround Steph Curry with 90+ D, blocks, and passing. We'll see how that goes. Gasol ensures that I don't have to find a ton of passing at SG, and Evans ensures that I have high quality 6+ pt usage for 48 minutes. West and Henson give me super stud bench players who fill the exact roles I need. But who's my starting 2 guard? Prediction: ?

amerk1180 - Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman, Tracy McGrady, Mark Price, Marc Gasol, Danilo Gallinari, Kent Bazemore - Obviously not enough information yet, but a scary start if you can find the right pieces. McGrady is a darn good player who addresses some needs. I wouldn't have picked Price, especially with some players who still haven't been picked. Gasol is interesting given that you don't need more rebounds. Gallinari is a fine scorer, but is he your backup SG? Is Bazemore also your backup SG? McGrady/Gasol take a big bite out of your efficiency. Even with all of these rebounds, I'm not sure. Prediction: bubble

ysw128 - Shaquille O'Neal, Steve Nash, Klay Thompson, Maurice Cheeks, Andrew Bogut, Nate McMillan, Kris Humphries - Good news: efficiency for days! Bad news: a Nash/Klay backcourt really hurts your rebounding. That may not matter as much with such an offensive powerhouse trio, but you'll need to shore up your defense and rebounding, or Nash's TOs/low D/lack of boards will hurt. I don't understand picking another point guard to backup Nash here. I guess Nate/Cheeks and Bogut/Humphries are good platoon system guys, but Cheeks has a high TO%, Nate fouls a lot, and it is pretty difficult to find a high usage backup - and it matters, as I found out last season. I was crazy about your start. Your assist % will be fine, your D will be fine, I'm guessing Nash is backing up Klay? I don't like that. I think this team doesn't reach its potential. Prediction: bubble

mikee1 - Giannis Antetokounmpo, Dwyane Wade, Dikembe Mutombo, Bradley Beal, Anthony Mason, Brandon Knight, Enes Kanter - I remember when dh started with those two, but that was before '19 Giannis came out. Suffice it to say I'm kind of scared of this trio. '19 Giannis would be a top 2 pick if he played more minutes. With all of mikee's championships in this league, I'd take the over on this team. Beal isn't a 3, but you could get away with a three guard rotation here, and there are certainly plenty of point guards still available. So it is a three guard rotation - with B. Knight and Mason. The Wade/Mason combination is very nice, IMO. 14-15 Knight is pretty decent. Mutombo/Giannis is such a nice frontcourt that I'm in no position to question the multiple time champ. Prediction: contender

jhsukow - Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Bill Russell, Brent Barry, Marques Johnson, Marcus Smart, Dirk Nowitzki - I don't know. Great D, not sure how the other three starters will pan out. Barry is a good fit with Jordan, but is there enough passing here? Is there enough rebounding? Dirk isn't exactly what I had in mind - I don't think he's usable at this cap level. Marques is really nice, but I question the defense of Russell/Dirk/Marques/Barry. You didn't need Dirk if you already had Duncan, and Barry/Smart at point guard doesn't do it for me. Maybe too much usage. Prediction: misses playoffs

pennsylvania - Clint Capela, Horace Grant, Bobby Jones, Robert Parish, Tiny Archibald, Danny Green, Shane Battier - A low ceiling quartet. I have a feeling I know who's starting at point guard. Good luck. Tiny's back; his lack of rebounding and D and high TOs hurts. With the lack of 3s, this still seems like a low ceiling unit. Honestly, I just don't believe in a one man Tiny show, at least in the SIM. In real life, absolutely, but this isn't real life. This is fantasy number generation! Prediction: misses playoffs

midge - Dwight Howard, Bill Walton, Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Domantas Sabonis, Kevin Johnson, Jameer Nelson - Dwight/Walton usually goes well. Plenty of usage and D. Nice. With the number of point guards left on the board, this is looking nice. Very efficient with plenty of blocks, 3s, and boards. Backcourt defense is weak here, but the offense is great. Sabonis is a nice backup for Dwight and Walton. Top tier guards will steal your lunch and eat it in front of you, but your frontcourt is dominant. Good team, not quite elite. Prediction: bubble

sappy - Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, Deron Williams, Kyle Korver, Tree Rollins, Chris Andersen, Kevon Looney - Yeah, for sure. Great D and efficiency. Scottie helps with boards. Really nice start. I would've liked to see Pippen at the 2. Backcourt D isn't quite good enough for this format, especially if your opponent has two elite wing scorers or rebounders. I've become a huge Tree fan in the last couple of seasons, and I think he's a good fit with Karl. I like this team. I think you have scoring covered, and there's enough salary space to build a good bench. I'm not locking this pick in because I don't know who starts at the 3, but assuming it's someone decent, my prediction is playoffs.

gerryred - Chris Paul, Andre Drummond, Shawn Marion, Patrick Ewing, Derek Harper, A.C. Green, J.R. Smith - You know what, I'm doing a 180 on this team. Ewing with Paul and Drummond is really nice. A.C. is underrated, Smith is a really good backup, and Paul/Harper is a great backcourt. Very balanced, high D team, with enough scoring to make Marion's best traits work, and enough Marion to make everyone else better. Prediction: playoffs

longtallbrad - David Robinson, Ben Wallace, Gary Payton, Clyde Drexler, Gerald Wallace, Jonas Valanciunas, Jeremy Lin - Damn, that's some high D and rebounding and low TOs and fouls. I guess you might want some more 3s, but with all of those blocks and low TOs, you'll be hard to stop regardless. Not much to say - you nailed your first five picks. Prediction: playoffs

maglor1 - DeAndre Jordan, Chauncey Billups, Shawn Kemp, Andrei Kirilenko, Andre Iguodala, Brandon Rush, Elgin Baylor - I like this too. Nice D and efficiency. You'll need some more 3s, but it's a super talented trio whose players complement each other well. The only question for me is whether this start is enough, but it definitely works. Kirilenko isn't the cleanest player, and there isn't an alpha scorer on this team yet. Yeah, I don't like the finish for this team. There isn't an alpha scorer to be found. That will hurt, no matter how much D and rebounds you have. Someone has to be able to get 40 occasionally. All of these guys are role players. Prediction: misses playoffs

dBKC - Kevin Durant, Hassan Whiteside, Tyson Chandler, Ben Simmons, Otto Porter, JaVale McGee, Joel Embiid - The thing that hurts most about KD is the lack of OReb%. Well, you fixed that about as well as you could! Really nice. With a Nash/Klay team and a Whiteside/Chandler team, if you don't have 3s or offensive boards by this point, it's going to be tricky to get them and keep up with the teams who already have them. Simmons is a great fit with Durant, although high on turnovers, but also high on rebounds for a point guard. Wow, what a finish. Lots and lots of talent. Simmons/Porter was a great idea, 18-19 McGee is a sweet low minute season, Embiid was a steal. Too much talent not to contend. Prediction: contender

dh555 - Rudy Gobert, Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning, Oscar Robertson, Montrezl Harrell, Jamaal Tinsley, Andrew Bynum - Honestly beautiful. I love so many of these starts. Obviously this works and dh will make the playoffs. Oscar Robertson adds rebounds, and I don't see a ton of a turnovers yet, although his price per minute value is pretty awful for his $10M+ salary. It cuts into your ability to add 3s/efficiency. Not sure what you're going to get from him, or whether he was the perfect fit, but you have earned the benefit of the doubt. Harrell is great, but I'm getting worried about fouls and turnovers. 08 Bynum is a great backup season, if that's the idea. I don't know - $10M+ for Oscar never sits right with me. In hindsight, you could have used shooting there. This team doesn't seem too clean, I don't see enough 3s. Zo/Gobert is great. I see a first or second round exit in your future. Prediction: playoffs

jcred5 - Anthony Davis, Elton Brand, Buck Williams, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo, Jose Calderon, Ryan Anderson - Well, that's an interesting frontcourt. Curious to see whether you use 06 or 07 Brand. Buck and Brand certainly help the offensive rebounding issue you get with AD. You might have a passing problem and you don't have any 3s yet. The high D is obviously wonderful, but I think your backcourt will suffer with this start. We'll see. Lowry isn't the defender......that Rondo is! Calderon is a nice backup, or you could have the greatest full time passing backcourt any of us have seen in quite some time! I’m torn - I like the frontcourt but I’m not totally sold on the rebounding. I’m going to say playoffs and be fine if I’m wrong about it.

ronsouth1 - Larry Bird, Karl-Anthony Towns, Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Jerry West, Chris Mullin, Brandan Wright - Eh. Reed in the 3rd is a reach. I guess he's your starting center. I'd use the 90 D season, but that will hurt your efficiency. Bird/Towns isn't the cleanest start. Little worried about FTAs, boards, fouls and D here. Frazier/West is a really nice backcourt with high D. You’re fine on passing. I really like the talent here. Nice finish. Playoffs - if you use the right Willis season

robusk - Charles Barkley, Kawhi Leonard, Anfernee Hardaway, Tom Boerwinkle, Derrick Favors, Damian Lillard, Anderson Varejao - That's a lot of talent. Passing and boards are a little suspect, but I tend to trust any team with Barkley at SF because the offensive rebounding helps so much. Definitely efficient. Not sure how the frontcourt will play out with so many good centers flying off the board lately, but I'm not complaining with that much firepower. Lillard doesn't hurt in that regard. Playoffs

cjok1051 - Manu Ginobili, Amar'e Stoudemire, Nikola Vucevic, Serge Ibaka, Mike Conley, Jrue Holiday, Emeka Okafor - So you're doubling down on high efficiency/screw D? This is going to be weird. The first round centers are going to have a field day with you. You're going to need some blocks and an SF. Ibaka addresses both of those concerns at once and adds some needed OReb%. I feel like Emeka wasn't the best use of salary here. This team is going to struggle on D, and I don't think there are enough boards and blocks, and do think there are too many TOs and fouls to and not enough FTAs to make up for it. Prediction: misses playoffs

uptowngbv - James Harden, Artis Gilmore, Joakim Noah, Terrell Brandon, George Hill, Charlie Edge, Larry Sanders - I cannot get with the idea of Harden as a first round pick. I don't think any team can sustain that many turnovers. I think the boards will help you break even with Harden's turnovers. I haven't seen a successful team with Harden as the first pick, and I don't think I will. Not enough scoring here. Edge/Sanders is great at SF, but there are too many fouls and TOs. Prediction: misses playoffs

samuelyork93 - Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Mookie Blaylock, Chris Webber, Bo Outlaw, Arvydas Sabonis, Toni Kukoc - Oh, I like this. Hakeem's getting a boost from a really nice backcourt. Plenty of boards and 3s in the backcourt. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out. I'm not a huge Webber fan - he doesn't really score well enough and fouls and turns the ball over too much for the usage you're giving him. Rebounding is a little low for this league. You'll suffer on defense and fouls. I don't think this team turned out to be efficient enough. Prediction: misses playoffs

6theluckyone - Kevin Garnett, Draymond Green, Nikola Jokic, Victor Oladipo, Marvin Williams, Dana Barros, Kenneth Faried - I like it. Passing and rebounding are set. I'm a big fan of 17 and 19 Jokic. I don't think you really needed Dray if this was your plan, and you might have a few more fouls than you think, but it's a good start. You have a lot of flexibilty in the backcourt now. Is Dana starting? I've backed off of my timeshare on Barros Island, especially with players who have come out in the last few seasons. I also don't think you need that much passing with Garnett, Draymond and Jokic. What I love is the versatility and shooting. Oladipo is always a good pick. You'll be more than fine on boards. Prediction: playoffs

tarheel1991 - John Stockton, Kevin McHale, Paul George, Jerry Lucas, Cole Aldrich, Terry Tyler, Michael Beasley - Stockton/George is really nice for the high D/rebounds from George combo. Seems like there might be a run on small forwards with few left at a certain level, but the defense and efficiency are really nice here. Not sure you'll ultimately come up with enough boards to be competitive. Lucas in the 6th is highway robbery. Is McHale starting at PF? Hm - I don't know why people don't play him at SF more often. He'd be such an asset there. Rebounding worries me a little. George/McHale probably isn't enough scoring. I'm not seeing it. Prediction: misses playoffs
9/12/2019 9:48 AM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15 Next ▸
Commentary for DH $52M Draft League LXVI Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.