Commentary for DH $52M Draft League LXVI Topic

For starters the Moses Malone / Dennis Rodman combo is pretty scarey. Although as I recall a higher EFG % big man than Moses Malone and and Rodman teamed up several seasons back and couldn't win the title. But I don't think that amerk1180 will draft the same high usage players that caused that duo to fail.
8/27/2019 3:20 PM
That's a heck of a lot of offensive rebounding with Moses and the Worm. It'll be an interesting challenge to space the floor and add enough usage and passing without drafting a lot of lousy D or mistake-prone hands in later rounds, but I generally love a strong start on the boards.

I didn't expect to end up with Wilt again so soon after drafting him two or three seasons ago. He's an absolute monster, but it seems to me that a couple other big men with less superhuman stats have generated more titles than the Dipper in recent seasons in this league.
8/27/2019 5:29 PM
Just FYI I will really try but it will be monumentally difficult for me to do quality write ups due to a massive schedule based work load over the next two weeks. It will be hard enough to simply draft a decent team tbh. That being said I will do my best unless someone would like to volunteer.
8/27/2019 6:33 PM
I would be interested trading with you to get Wilt LTB. I have a special theme in mind. What is your price my old SIM friend?
8/27/2019 7:45 PM
Posted by vancem on 8/27/2019 7:45:00 PM (view original):
I would be interested trading with you to get Wilt LTB. I have a special theme in mind. What is your price my old SIM friend?
Hmm, I'm thinking it over. I'll send a sitemail.
8/28/2019 9:25 AM
In the meantime, I'll be interested to see what happens to the 18-19 player seasons that were shiny and exciting during the last draft in this league. I think some of those guys went a bit high and one in particular should have been higher.
8/28/2019 9:26 AM
I'll go on record as saying I don't really like the Worm/Moses pairing. I think rebounding in general, and particular offensive rebounding, is overvalued, particularly at this cap. And I'm not a big fan of Moses either; his shooting is relatively efficient but he makes up for it with a boatload of turnovers for a medium-usage player. For me, if I was going to trade into the top 10 of this draft, I would be after the one thing that's almost impossible to get outside of the top 15-20 of this draft: high-usage, high-efficiency players that have other big positives and/or few other warts. You can get quality rebounders anywhere in this draft if you need them. What you can't get late in the draft is high-usage, high-efficiency players without multiple other weaknesses (low defense, low rebounds/assists, high turnovers, high fouls, etc).

So while I think Rodman is a little overvalued as a top-10 pick, I could see trading up to pair him with someone like Lebron, or Curry, or a couple so-far-undrafted guys that I would take over either Moses or Rodman. But I don't see the fit with Moses. The combination of the two, plus the picks traded to move up, leaves you needing a bunch of everything - high usage, efficient usage, defense, assists, threes - from backcourt picks you won't make until the 4th round or later. I think this basically amounts to putting yourself behind the 8-ball and praying that 1-2 of a handful of guys last the next 80 picks or so. So I wouldn't do it, but it will be interesting to see how it works out.
8/28/2019 10:53 AM
I think we almost all completely misunderstand what “efficient usage” is.
8/28/2019 12:37 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 8/28/2019 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I agree, but I wonder what you meant by this.

I maintain that no one on this site really understands the SIM all the time. Some people are great every season because they use the same players in every league, but after 10 years on this site, I still think the SIM is elusive, and I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way.
8/28/2019 1:26 PM
Thanks to dh for moving the draft along!
8/28/2019 3:32 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 8/28/2019 10:53:00 AM (view original):
I'll go on record as saying I don't really like the Worm/Moses pairing. I think rebounding in general, and particular offensive rebounding, is overvalued, particularly at this cap. And I'm not a big fan of Moses either; his shooting is relatively efficient but he makes up for it with a boatload of turnovers for a medium-usage player. For me, if I was going to trade into the top 10 of this draft, I would be after the one thing that's almost impossible to get outside of the top 15-20 of this draft: high-usage, high-efficiency players that have other big positives and/or few other warts. You can get quality rebounders anywhere in this draft if you need them. What you can't get late in the draft is high-usage, high-efficiency players without multiple other weaknesses (low defense, low rebounds/assists, high turnovers, high fouls, etc).

So while I think Rodman is a little overvalued as a top-10 pick, I could see trading up to pair him with someone like Lebron, or Curry, or a couple so-far-undrafted guys that I would take over either Moses or Rodman. But I don't see the fit with Moses. The combination of the two, plus the picks traded to move up, leaves you needing a bunch of everything - high usage, efficient usage, defense, assists, threes - from backcourt picks you won't make until the 4th round or later. I think this basically amounts to putting yourself behind the 8-ball and praying that 1-2 of a handful of guys last the next 80 picks or so. So I wouldn't do it, but it will be interesting to see how it works out.
i completely agree with all of this....if you make this trade you need to come away with at least one #1 scorer..and thats not moses
8/28/2019 3:32 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/28/2019 1:27:00 PM (view original):

I maintain that no one on this site really understands the SIM all the time. Some people are great every season because they use the same players in every league, but after 10 years on this site, I still think the SIM is elusive, and I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way.
"Some people are great every season because they use the same players in every league"

this doesnt work for draft leagues...i assume you mean open leagues - which are a joke

8/28/2019 3:37 PM
I couldn't tell you when I last played an open league, but it's been many years. I lost any interest when the "rookies" actually became useful players.
8/28/2019 3:43 PM
Posted by dh555 on 8/28/2019 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bds9992 on 8/28/2019 1:27:00 PM (view original):

"Some people are great every season because they use the same players in every league"

this doesnt work for draft leagues...i assume you mean open leagues - which are a joke

Eh, not really. Not the exact same players, but I know who the established owners like. Guys like sly and ben have a limited pool of players they almost always use, and they win/won a lot.

Of course, they favor elite advanced stats regardless of minutes or usage, which means you get higher quality than your opponent to go with your best player. Not a bad idea.
8/28/2019 3:48 PM
It’s not a knock. We all have our preferences. Some are more strict, some like to tinker and experiment. Last season I learned that you can’t be quite so loose with usage, even if you think you don’t have to worry about it with Kevin Johnson coming off your bench.
8/28/2019 3:51 PM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Commentary for DH $52M Draft League LXVI Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.