DH52 LI: Rosters, Open Commentary and Evals Topic

1. milest - Wilt Chamberlain, Mookie Blaylock, Chris Webber, Clarence Weatherspoon, Sidney Moncreif,, Antonio McDyess, Cory Alexander
2. jt7king - Lebron James, Alonzo Mourning, Oscar Robertson, Draymond Green, Kris Humphries, Al horford, Brendan Wright,
3. jkaye24 - Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Gary Payton, Tyson Chandler, Paul Pierce, Rodney McCray, Cole Aldrich, Toni Kukoc
4. jhsukow - Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Kobe Bryant, Kawhi Leonard, Jose Calderon, Wes Unseld, Clifford Ray
5. hoopsdude - Shaq O'Neal, Jerry Lucas, Terry Porter, Blake Griffin, Nick Anderson, Jameer neslon, Cedric Ceballos
6. thomcat - Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Robert Parish, Rajon Rondo, Bo Outlaw, Ryan Anderson, Anderson Varajeo
7. pennsylvania - David Robinson, Bobby Jones, Deron Williams, Kyle Korver, Brandon Rush,Zelmo Beaty, Cedric Maxwell
8. amerk1180 - Dwight Howard, Marcus Camby, Serge Ibaka, Jerry West, Kevin Love, Kyrie irving, Darren Collison
9. copernicus - Chris Paul, Elton Brand, Rudy Gobert, Mel Daniels, Tree Rollins, Bobby Phills, Gerald Green
10. slymonium - Karl Malone, Kevin McHale, Shawn Kemp, Charlie Ward, Derek Harper, Arvydas Sabonis, Mark Jackson
11. mikee1- Dennis Rodman, Manu Ginobli, James Harden, Willis Reed, Ray Allen, Anthony Mason , Paul Milsap 
12. vancem- Dwayne Wade, Bob McAdoo, Horace Grant, Tom Boerwinkle, Paul Pressey, Emeka Okafor, Rodrigue Beaubois
13. ysw128- Tim Duncan, Donyell Marshall, Maurice Cheeks, Mark Price, Dan Roundfield, Dan Gadzuric, Eric Bledsoe
14. 98average- Stephen Curry, Andrei Kirilenko, Pau Gasol, Brent Barry, Hassan Whiteside, Dale Davis, Brandon Roy
15. jcred5- Kevin Durant, Jason Kidd, Buck Williams, Gerald Wallace, Larry Sanders, Danny Green, Andrew Bynum
16. sixernuggets- John Stockton, Dikembe Mutombo, Walt Bellamy, Alex English, Xavier McDaniel, Jon Barry, Kermit Washington
17. uptowngbv- Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Andre Drummond, Vince Carter, Andrew Bogut, Nate McMillan, Goran Dragic
18. longtallbrad- Charles Barkley, Bill Walton, Bob Lanier, Walt Frazier, Andre Iguodala, Jordam Farmar, Carmelo Anthony
19. eleibowitz- Kevin Garnett, Ben Wallace, Tracy McGrady, A.C. Green, Don Buse, George Hill, Roy Tarpley 
20. dh555- DeAndre Jordan, Chauncy Billups, Amare Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon, Chris Anderson, Charlie Edge
21. cjok1051- Bill Russell, Joakim Noah, Steve Nash, Grant Hill, Kevin Johnson, Jamaal Tinsley, JR Smith, Dirk Nowitzke
22. scudmissle- Artis Gilmore, Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Josh Smith, Troy Murphy, Kenneth Faried, Jeff Teague 
23. iccoachb- Magic Johnson, Anthony Davis, Larry Nance, KlayThompson, Charles Oakley, Russel Westbrook, Paul Silas
24. banditone- Anfernee Hardaway, Shawn Marion, Marques Johnson, Chris Mullin, Dave Cowens, Rick Barry, Chris Gatling 
10/9/2015 5:53 PM (edited)
I'll try to get some evals done tomorrow, once we get some more teams with two drafted players. But it is my birthday, so I'll probably be drunk by mid afternoon. I wanted to do some general round by round analysis. I don't know how it will turn out, particularly since I'm a stickler about avoiding mentioning undrafted players.

Round 1, picks 1-12:

This is a very solid first half of the draft. It might be THE 12 best overall picks for this draft. An argument could be made for maybe Durant, Bird or Barkley in the top half, but who are you going to displace? MJ was a great value, but everyone picked ahead of him is solid. CP3 belongs here. His most recent season is such a good $/min value. I know he's tainted because I had him on a winning team, but you'd better get used to D Wade on some playoff teams. He is so relentless and disruptive on both ends of the court. Considering how he used Jordan a few seasons ago, I'm guessing vancem just locked up his PG.

Based on draft position, I'll be picking a Gift and a Reach for each round (two each for round one). Since I just finished going on about how solid the first 12 picks were, my Gift (The Mailman) and Reach (The Admiral) would merely have to be switched for all to be perfect.

Picks 13-24: Is Tim Duncan a value at 13, or was this a comfortable with a big man in the first round and he was the best one left pick? I don't hate Dr. J pick as much as I initially did. I'm still not loving it, though. Actually, I changed my mind. Back to my initial reaction. Good thing Moses is such a security blanket. Is Penny worthy of a pick at the turn? Yes. He goes higher in the lower cap ODL.

Gift: Ser Charles of House Barkley, Warden of the Rim. Bird and Durant also received some votes.

Reach: Garnett. A little too early, especially since he won't be bringing those D boards and assists to the SF spot. But if he's going to use him at the 4/5, at least he took the right year.
9/26/2015 8:40 PM (edited)
milest:

Wilt, Mookie, Chris Webber, Clarence Weatherspoon, Sidney Moncrief

I've been having trouble evaluating this one so far. I think this is the start of a playoff roster (probably could have said that after the first pick), but there's still work to be done. Mookie and Webber balance each other quite well, with a good amount of 3's and assists. This team might struggle to actually make some FTs. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the 4th and 5th picks. Maybe a little too conservative. This seems like a similar strategy that kept scud out of the playoffs last season. 

jt7king: King James, Zo, The Big O, Draymond Green, Kris Humphries

How are we going to stop this team? Three dynamic scorers with plenty of assists and excellent backcourt rebounds? Sure, this team will have its share of TOs and PFs, but that's not likely to slow it down. Can't afford such dynamic players from here out, but jt7 won't need them. Role players will serve. Did I mention the D? Draymond Green would cost some lesser teams a few games with his frequent lousy shooting and fouls. I've used him a few times recently. Humphries is a good cheap rebounder. This is still the team to beat. 

jkaye24: Kareem, Gary Payton, Tyson Chandler, Paul Pierce, Rodney McCray 

With the second and third picks, jkaye lays the groundwork for a solid backcourt and shores up the biggest weakness Kareem brings to the front court. Tyson is a good value at that spot. This team needs a little more offensive spark. Payton's flexibility should leave plenty of options for the next few picks. This could be a team that uses some slightly cheaper players years to take advantage of a player who slips to the end. A very solid starting lineup. Pierce and McCray provide good defense and compliment each other on the wings. 

jhsukow: Moses, Dr. J, Kobe, Kawhi, Jose Calderon

Very solid start and about to pick up an early 4th round pick. Still a lot of talent on the board. My assessment may be getting rosier. Kobe makes this a lot more interesting. We know what this team's going to be. The rest is window dressing. jh's eye for design will determine if this .500 start can tip the scales for a playoff bid. Somebody's going to be playing way out of position here. I'm counting 3 SGs. 

hoopsdude: Shaq, Jerry Lucas, Terry Porter, Blake Griffin, Nick Anderson

As much as I like Jerry Lucas, is he better suited with a player who can better defend the PF/C positions? Other than that, what's not to like? Okay, now we have something to dislike. In what scenario would Blake Griffin be a value in the 4th round? All Clippers league? Nick Anderson has a very good, clean game, but I'm really doubting this team's playoff chances. 

thomcat: MJ, Ewing, The Chief, Rondo, Bo Outlaw

Jordan and Ewing are a great way to start off the draft. Ewing's fouls cause him to slide, making him a high risk/reward second rounder. Not sure what Parish year he's using here. A few good options, but all have warts. Rondo's a legitimate starting PG in this league and a good value at this point. thomcat's hoping that high ast% will put in extra spark in MJ's offense. If you have adequate usage from the rest of your roster, Outlaw is a really good SF option. 

pennsylvania: The Admiral, Bobby Jones, Deron Williams, Kyle Korver, Brandon Rush

This team is a bit of a mess. Korver seems like a luxury only a team with above average rebounding and usage at other areas can afford. This is not one of those teams. Deron Williams as the second scoring option is a bit problematic. I like the high efg%, but it's not going to be an uphill possession battle.

amerk1180: Dwight, Camby, Serge Ibaka, Jerry West, Kevin Love

This league still has a salary cap, correct? Because Dwight, Camby and Love might work in a progressive if you can afford 30,000 minutes, I have no idea how this works in the 52. Ibaka and West are okay, and Dwight is awesome, but this makes no sense. Sorry, amerk, but maybe you'll get a chance to build around Dwight next season.

copernicus: CP3, Elton Brand, Gobert, Mel Daniels, Tree Rollins

I really like this team. Hit it out of the park with the first two picks. Brand provides decent boards and, well, pretty much everything else at the 3. Picks 3-5 combine for an impressive front court. Fouls will be an issue and this team needs more scoring, but I like this so far.

slymoniun: Mailman, McHale, Kemp, Ward, Derek Harper

Three high usg, high efg picks out of the gate. Ward's a good clean defender at PG, even if he's not all that flashy. Harper brings enough to the court to make up for Ward's lack of assists. Hard to go wrong here. Will try to avoid having this team in my division.

mikee1: Worm, Manu, Harden, Willis Reed, Ray Allen

What do you need after taking Worm in the 1st? Usg, and lots of it. Manu brings a nice bag of tricks to Harden's back court. Willis was a great pick in the 4th and Ray Ray should fill in nicely off the bench.

vancem: D Wade, McAdoo, Ho Grant, Boerwinkle, Pressey, Emeka Okafor, Roddy Beaubois

You know I'm going to be high on my Finals MVP (thanks, Dwyane!). McAdoo adds very good front court offense. Ho Grant can play the 3-4-5 on both ends of the floor. Pressey falls a little flat and I'm not sure this team can afford to have Okafor as the 3rd scoring option. The first three picks will carry this team to the playoffs and vancem will get more out of this team than most owners can. Not a title winner is the worst I can say.

ysw128: Tim Duncan, Donyell, Mo Cheeks, Mark Price, Dan Roundfield, Dan Gadzuric, Eric Bledsoe

I don't love the Duncan pick, but he's a safe pick. Roundfield and Gadzuric will quietly be better than "the other big guy" on most teams. Mo and Price will be switching up on D and should only be exposed against two high usage guards. Donyell brings skills to the 3 that other teams won't have. This team will compete for the playoffs.
10/7/2015 6:42 PM (edited)
98average: Steph Curry, AK47, Pau Gasol, Brent Barry, Hassan Whiteside, Dale Davis, Brandon Roy

I'll admit. 98's in my head. Like in the way you don't want Hannibal Lecter in your head. At first, I'm laughing at this team. Because, of course. Who does that? But then I'm like, "Oh, Kirilenko defends a lot of positions. Pau Gasol is probably better than where he's normally picked. Dale Davis has a year like that?" But, nah. You just can't take Kirilenko in the 2nd and make the playoffs.

jcred: Kevin Durant, Jason Kidd, Buck Williams, Gerald Wallace, Larry Sanders, Danny Green, Andrew Bynum

So, Bynum from the guy I would have taken if Drummond was gone to the end of the draft. And, AND!, Larry Sanders? This is a damn good team. Durant will ball and Kidd is one of the best values in the sim. Buck and Wallace bring a lot of goodness in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

sixernuggets: Stockton, Dikembe, Walt Bellamy, Alex English, X McDaniel, Jon Barry, Kermit Washington

sixer started off with two extraordinary role players and managed to miss the mark with just about every remaining pick. I don't see any real value here. Stockton is so good at what he does but he doesn't put the ball in the air enough to carry this team. No playoffs for you!

uptowngbv: Bird, Hakeem, Andre Drummond, Vinsanity, Andrew Bogut, Nate McMillan, Goran Dragic

Could somebody sing my praises?

longtallbrad: Sir Charles, Bill Walton, Bob Lanier, Walt Frazier, Andre Iguodala, Jordan Farmar, Melo

This is a well designed team, especially considering the draft position. Barkley at the 3 gives brad the upper hand on the glass before drafting the front court. Walton is a fine pick. There are so many other short minute bigs out there to use as a backup. This team will be a little short on assists, right? The rebound advantage will make this team a contender.

eleibowitz: KG, Big Ben, T-Mac, A.C., Don Buse, George Hill, Roy

I'd really like to see KG and Big Ben at the 3-4/5. But we're getting them at the 4-5 here. That's a good start, and T-Mac brings some dynamic offense to this team. It kinda fizzles out after that. I really like George Hill and wanted him in my PG platoon. But I don't see this team in the playoffs.

dh55: DAJ, Chauncey, Amare Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon, Jamaal Tinsley, Birdman, Charlie Edge

Can't ask for much more out of the first 3 picks. Amare and Deandre compliment each other at both ends. With all the playmakers at the 1-2, I'd like to see another consistent scorer to take advantage of all that no look passing. But maybe they'll just feed off each other. Amare's a great pick and will help this team compete for a playoff spot.

cjok1051: Bill Russell, Joakim, Nash, Grant Hill, Kevin Johnson, JR Smith, Dirk

I'm not a hater. I'm really not. I've used Noah, Nash and Hill in this league. I saw the crazy numbers Hill put up in the recent ODL. But I don't think you're going to win a lot of games in this league with such horrible defense. What's this team going to do against LeBron, MJ, Wade, et al? And this isn't even the right cheat code to get the most out of a crazy assist team. I'll be happy to apologize for a terrible eval for each win this team gets beyond 22. I like to see the sim get knocked off its axis, but this team won't do it. Last place.

scudmissile: Artis, Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Josh Smith, Troy Murphy, Kenneth Faried, Jeff Teague

scud's moving back to China soon, so it's probably a blessing that he can put this team on autopilot and pick up 36-39 wins. There's no shame in that. Artis and Scottie are the bookends that should allow Clyde to pick up a few dozen great games. Troy Murphy will have about 5 other owners scratching their heads after half a dozen strong games. Unfortunately, dh set up this league for 82 games. That sucking sound you hear is mediocrity pulling this team down to drown it in the bathtub.

iccoachb: Magic, Anthony Davis, Larry Nance, Klay Thompson, Charles Oakley, Russell Westbrook, Paul Silas

I really like most of this team, but I HATE the Russell Westbrook pick. I can't emphasize it enough. Aside from him, this all fits together very nicely. Value at every pick. Dynamic scoring. Good D. Not enough boards. Westbrook looks around and realizes this ain't a progressive. Not good. We're all happy to have you, coach.

banditone: Penny, Shawn Marion, Marques Johnson, Chris Mullin, Dave Cowens, Rick Barry, Chris Gatling

This team started off so strong. Great players who aren't hard to build around. So how did we end up with this squad? I don't see the snap, crackle, and/or pop here. Marques, Mullin, Cowens? I'd welcome any one of them on a team in this league. One of them. Again, great picks at the turn. But this team should have been scooping up more playmakers. 41 wins.
10/8/2015 11:18 PM (edited)
Hey if uptowngbv can win a title here with D Wade so can I right? Did it once before when he was a late first rounder. That uptown team blew my mind last season. Hopefully I can have the same results with different spin on it.
9/24/2015 4:44 AM
So Artis Gilmore drops to # 22 for scud? The rich just keep getting richer it seems. Or will that Chinese stock market take a permanent crash after round 2 ha ha?
9/24/2015 8:06 PM
my team... probably permanent crash
9/25/2015 7:17 AM (edited)
now you have your team name :)
9/25/2015 9:41 AM
scud, are you moving back to China?
9/25/2015 9:59 AM
comets? asteroids? ... hemorrhoids?  : /
9/25/2015 10:00 AM
yes, up, in 2 weeks... lol

just like in one of copernicus's team names: Quadrophenia. my 4th time back 
9/25/2015 10:11 AM (edited)
in case it wasn't clear I was suggesting Probably Permanent Crash as a winning team name
9/25/2015 10:40 AM
Just noticed that eleibowitz and uptowngbv after taking D Wade in the first round of the last 2 drafts both took the same 2nd and 3rd round picks. Eleibowitz went SF again in round 4 while uptowngbv went high usage SG. I don't think that I will copy cat either one of those strategies but they are interesting to look at.
9/25/2015 11:13 AM
Banditone selects Penny Haraway and Shawn Marion . . . nice picks for sure. Haven't we seen you pick these same 2 before banditione? So far so good man.
9/25/2015 11:45 AM
I started my birthday celebration a little early. Dayton Police Dept willing and the creek don't rise, I'll get some of this done tomorrow during college football.
9/25/2015 5:51 PM
123 Next ▸
DH52 LI: Rosters, Open Commentary and Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.