Savage XIV Rosters/Commentary Topic

Posted by ashamael on 3/5/2024 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Before i get as frightened as I feel, what % of total minutes are your starters playing?!
Not as many as I’d like.
3/5/2024 4:15 PM
Posted by dBKC on 3/5/2024 3:31:00 PM (view original):
I think I'm done. These are my starting lineups. eFG/TO% weighted by usage. The bench usually has a little more usage than the SLs thanks to Yao spelling Tyson, so I'm not worried about possession penalties.
USG eFG DEF CRB% AST% TO% ORB% DRB%
103.5 60.98 77 135.6 72.5 15.09 40.6 95
99.1 61.99 75 134.9 64.8 13.89 39.3 95.6
100.8 57.8 72 142.8 56.8 13.8 41.2 101.6
104.2 56.37 78 136.4 69.1 15.2 45.5 90.9
107.2 56.38 77 124.7 65.5 14.4 40.6 84.1
I think my efg can get close to yours. Rebounding should close as well and tov will be lower. But damn you’ve got a strong defense to go with your EFG. I can barely break 70 with one team so far. Are you not worried about your usage though?
3/5/2024 5:05 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 3/5/2024 5:06:00 PM (view original):
I think I'm done. These are my starting lineups. eFG/TO% weighted by usage. The bench usually has a little more usage than the SLs thanks to Yao spelling Tyson, so I'm not worried about possession penalties.
I think my efg can get close to yours. Rebounding should close as well and tov will be lower. But damn you’ve got a strong defense to go with your EFG. I can barely break 70 with one team so far. Are you not worried about your usage though?
The main players on my bench are West/Bellamy/Yao, so I’m not worried about usage. I am worried about my eFG dropping by 8 points when they come out though
3/5/2024 5:56 PM
Posted by dBKC on 3/5/2024 5:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 3/5/2024 5:06:00 PM (view original):
The main players on my bench are West/Bellamy/Yao, so I’m not worried about usage. I am worried about my eFG dropping by 8 points when they come out though
Ohhh I was just looking at the stats. Those are just your starters not the full squad.
3/5/2024 6:08 PM
Wait you can get your eFG close to mine for your full team including bench?!
3/5/2024 6:09 PM
Posted by dBKC on 3/5/2024 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Wait you can get your eFG close to mine for your full team including bench?!
No I checked after and I was thinking of TS% my efg on prelims which should change a lot is between 54.95-55.74. So no it can’t get that close.
3/5/2024 6:13 PM
usage efg TS% oreb dreb ast tov FTA48 FT% CREb
109.26 55.25 0.59 39.25 93.03 53.66 12.08 7.88 75.05 132.28
111.99 55.74 0.59 37.72 93.17 60.74 12.64 7.49 73.89 130.90
108.08 55.35 0.58 41.49 98.69 56.97 12.99 8.07 72.32 140.18
105.63 55.41 0.58 37.80 92.63 57.75 13.60 7.61 73.72 130.43
110.85 54.95 0.58 41.58 102.39 53.92 12.59 8.20 71.63 143.97
3/5/2024 6:14 PM
I calculated TS using .70 of fts thanks for the tip whoever mentioned that idea recently.
3/5/2024 6:17 PM
Yeah trying to figure out how to make the TS% adjustment is tricky when you don't know how many FT guys will shoot. Moses took double the FT of Jokic (or more) in RL but might only take 20% more in the SIM.
3/5/2024 6:29 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 3/5/2024 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Yeah trying to figure out how to make the TS% adjustment is tricky when you don't know how many FT guys will shoot. Moses took double the FT of Jokic (or more) in RL but might only take 20% more in the SIM.
Yeah I know there’s a ftr on basketball reference but idk if wis uses that. I’ll use FTA48 to calculate team ft% but overall I just find it very difficult to account for fts. Only doing a percentage of fts in ts% at least seems like a decent start.
3/5/2024 6:37 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 3/5/2024 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 3/5/2024 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Yeah I know there’s a ftr on basketball reference but idk if wis uses that. I’ll use FTA48 to calculate team ft% but overall I just find it very difficult to account for fts. Only doing a percentage of fts in ts% at least seems like a decent start.
I don't know how the SIM allocates FTs (I have some suspicions that I'll keep to myself) but the main reason it under-shoots them in general is because the teams we build in the SIM usually foul a lot less than RL teams did historically.
3/5/2024 7:07 PM
7. notoriousj

1. Chris Paul

I actually have CP3 behind Harden in the guard ranks and out of my overall top 10. But I'm probably in the minority there. He's a fantastic starting piece who takes care of ast% pretty much by himself and provides defense at the 1/2 with good scoring.

2. Bill Russell

The ultimate "eat your vegetables" pick. It's not sexy. No one is excited about committing 44mpg on all 5 teams to a guy with a 44% efg. But what he does give you makes the rest of the draft that much easier. Poor defense? Poor rebounds? Too many fouls? No problem, Bill Russell has you covered with 100d, elite rebounding and super low fp48. You don't really need to draft a backup for him so you kinda gain to an extra roster spot as well. Really solid foundation with the CP3/Russell start.

3. Patrick Ewing

Booooooo. I really wanted to use Ewing this time around and I thought there was a chance he might make it to me in the 4th. Definitely did not think he would go before Alonzo Mourning, a similar player who I do like a little better. Ewing brings good scoring and defense, but with a ton of towels and he kinda locks Russell into the 4, making it easier for the Wilt/Kareem/Gilmore/Shaq etc. teams to defend you. I love that 89-90 season and I'm thinking it will be on your best team.

4. Draymond Green

Ewwwwww you lost me here. As steelers has been mentioning lately, Draymond does do a lot of things really well. I just don't think you really needed those things with this pick. You have CP3! No need for his awesome ast% at the 3. Now maybe he could be a nice sneaky backup to CP3 as well, but I don't think you have enough mins at the 3 to move him there. The defense is great but he's not really covering for anyone at the 4 and some of his seasons lose defense when covering the 2. I get building strength on strength but I'm not sure it was worth his negatives. You now have a problem with tov% and oreb% is a glaring hole, especially with just average to below average shooting.

5. Zach LaVine

With Green at the 3 and Russell at the 5, I like the idea of targeting high usg(preferably 3pt shooting) 2s. LaVine was a great start. He's got 5 usable season(and one elite one) and you can hide his defense 1-3. I never know what kind of impact it has anymore, but you're really starting to pile up the ast% now. I'll be curious to see if that gives you a bump in shooting.

6. Jaylen Brown

Another really good pick to team up with LaVine at the 2. Very nice dreb% and tov%.

7. Kristaps Porzingis

You got me again! I'm starving for 3s in the frontcourt and Porzingis and that 22-23 season would have been perfect. I like that he has 5 seasons that could backup Ewing with super low tov% and solid defense. But maaaaaaan, there's no way I'm not targeting oreb% with the rest of my frontcourt picks here after your start. The 3s really weren't necessary and I think it might have been more important to find more paint scoring. Ewing alone(more mid in some seasons too) isn't enough to stop me playing +1/+2 defense against you now.

8. Jaren Jackson Jr.

Ok now it just seems you're ignoring oreb% on purpose haha. Love that 22-23 season, the others not so much. He can backup both Green and Ewing but I don't really like him in either spot. That's probably too much usg behind Green and realllly bad rebounding behind Ewing. And of course there's his insane foul rate.

9. Thaddeus Young

I'm still amazed the same Thad Young I watched grow up as 76er was able to have a season with 20% ast. It didn't do a whole lot for his NBA career but he's now a mainstay in Savage drafts because of that 20-21 season. I'll be curious to see where that season gets mixed in for you. His other seasons should be solid backups at the 3. Love that stl% too.

10. Myles Turner

Oh yea. You're getting +2. Starting to think that even with Russell, rebounding might be kind of a problem too. Still, hard to deny 61.2 efg% on 22.1 usg%. This will probably be the last Savage he goes this late after his 23-24 gets released.

11. Devin Booker

Looks like he will be the main CP3 backup and probably also mix into the high usg rotation at the 2. I like it. You weren't hurting for ast% so no real need for a traditional backup 1.

12. Moses Brown

Fun lil backup to Russell. Doesn't really fit the usg% but the boards sure do.

Defense should be very good. Possibly one of the best. Russell should hold down the glass but I wouldn't be surprised if you were weaker than you thought there. It's possible I overrate oreb% too much, but you are shockingly low. For a team that doesn't have great shooting I think that is a death sentence for the offense. Maybe the high ast% makes up for it? I'm not digging the floor balance either, not enough paint scoring. I could see the 89-90 Ewing team making some noise but overall I'm pretty down on this team.

Prediction: 15-20 finish
3/5/2024 8:02 PM
24kpyrite

1) Wilt Chamberlain - picking Wilt is the easy part, deciding whether to use some of the early high usage Warrior seasons or the later low usage Lakers seasons is the hard part. I
consulted my Magic 8 Ball and if it's right Jared will be using the 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 70-71 and 71-72 seasons. Only time will tell. Wilt is a bit of a tricky build due to his usage rates, but it's a good problem to have. Wilt teams average 42 wins and he has won one title. If you ever have the second pick in the draft I would suggest that you take Kyle O'Quinn (5 titles) and leave Wilt for me.

2) Kyrie Irving - a nice pick to go with Wilt, adding some good usage, some threes, some passing, and some tickets to The Flat Earth Society Fund Raising Dinner. The problems I have with Irving is that he doesn't play enough minutes and his defense is below average for this league. He also underperforms for me, but I'm assuming that 24k isn't going to let that bother him. It might have been fun here to try Luka Doncic here, but I can't complain about Kyrie.....yes, I can. You ruined my teams in Savage XIII, you little twerp. Okay, I'm done. Kyrie's team average 42 wins and have won two titles. I would like to point out that Jeff Hornacek's teams also average 42 wins and have two titles. So there!

3) Mitchell Robinson - Gotta love his offensive rebounding, but for me, this is too early to take a guy who only starts on two teams and only has three good seasons. Of course, he went even earlier last season. The best advice I can give you about Savage Basketball is to tell you to pay no attention to any advice I give you about Savage Basketball. His team's have averaged 45 wins per season, which is excellent, and they have won two titles. Plus, his mother is in a song.

4) John Collins - I like his PF season a lot and he has some SF seasons that can add some shooting and rebounding. This is just a little bit later than where he went last season, so it was one of those get him now or you're not going to get him picks. John Collins' teams average 41 wins and he has won two titles. With an average of 41 wins, I thick he should have been drafted by chewy.

5) Kenneth Faried - strong rebounding from the small forward position, a fine player. When you draft Kyrie Irving in the second round you had better be trying to salvage your season in the fifth round. His teams have averaged 41 wins with two titles.

6) Bobby Portis - strong rebounding from the small forward position, a fine player. Didn't Bobby Portis punch Dario Šaric in the face once? How did chewy let Portis get away? He even averages 41 wins, a perfect player for chewy! Bobby Portis teams average 41 wins and have won one title.

7) Mikal Bridges - strong rebounding from the small forward position, a fine player. Mikal Bridges has never been arrested for felony domestic violence. Mikal plays good defense.....sometimes. Mikal shoots threes well.....sometimes. He had very low turnover rates in Phoenix, because his teammates wouldn't let him touch the ball. 24k can use Mikal's down and up usage seasons to balance Wilt's up and down usage seasons. If you could build a la Frankenstein a basketball player using his best eFG% and his best defense and his best usage% and so on you would have a heck of a player. His teams average 40 wins and he has one title.

8) Chris Mullin - I like Mullin as a SG. Good solid below average defense, not a lot of assists since he's really a SF, he usually can hit some threes, but not really at a high volume.....why do I like him? I guess I like him as a backup SG in Savage. I hear he was great on the Dream Team! His usage% is all over the place, so I guess he goes well with Wilt. I'm assuming that Mullin and Bridges will play most if not all of the SG minutes. Mullin's team have averaged 39 wins and have won one title.

9) Victor Oladipo - Here we go! A shooting guard who can score and play defense and get some rebounds and some assists and.......has only one good season. I'm going to go out (on a very short) limb and predict that the Victor Oladipo team will be his best team. Jared tried to talk me into taking him, but I panicked after I missed out on Dan Roundfield by one pick. Dan Roundfield has a lot of heart. Victor Oladipo teams average 42 wins and have won four titles.

10) Samuel Dalembert - Samuel Dalembert is a basketball player and he will provide minutes somewhere. Wow, his teams average 43 wins and he has won five titles. Maybe I should pay more attention to Samuel Dalembert.

11) Charlie Ward - In his senior season at Florida State Ward passed for 3,032 yards with 27 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions. He completed 69.5% of his passes and averaged 8.0 yards per attempt. He added 339 yards rushing at 5.2 yards per carry and scored 4 touchdowns on the ground. He led the Seminoles to a 12-1 record, including an 18 to 16 win against the Nebraska Cornhuskers in the Orange Bowl, as the team claimed the National Title.

12) Elvin Hayes - Hayes had a very long and distinguished music career, with hit songs such as Walk On By, Do Your Thing, and the Theme From "Shaft". In the 1970s Hayes was part of an ownership group that bought the ABA team the Memphis Tams, renaming them the Memphis Sound. He was also popular as the character "Chef" on Southpark, with his song "Chocolate Salty Balls" reaching #1 on the UK singles chart. Oh wait, all of that was Isaac Hayes. Never mind. Elvin Hayes had a very long and distinguished basketball career, doing such things as making baskets, blocking shots, and grabbing rebounds. The highlight of Elvin's basketball career was when he led his Houston Cougars to an upset 71-69 victory against the #1 rated UCLA with Lew Alcindor, who entered the game with a 47 game winning streak. Unfortunately for UCLA, Alcindor had received an eye injury the week before in a game against Cal, was seeing double, and didn't know which basket to shoot at. Unfortunately for Houston, the two teams met again in the NCAA tournament, Alcindor knew where to shoot, and UCLA won 101-69.

Batman - Wilt Chamberlain

Robin - Kyrie Irving

Alfred - Mitchell Robinson

What I like - Wilt Chamberlain, and the fact that after more than three hours I am almost done with this.

What has me concerned - Where is the usage and scoring coming from when Kyrie Irving is on the bench.

Random Midge thought - If the Bridges were the Warner Brothers and the Warner Sister I would have to say that Mikal is Yakko, Miles is Wakko, and Bill is Dot.
3/5/2024 10:47 PM (edited)
dh55, responding your questions/comments: If Brand wasn't available when I picked in the 3rd round, I would have definitely considered Klay. Webber's 93-94 season backs up Dwight, with the other seasons at SF. I will always have 10+ usage points from PG, SF, PF/C (wherever I have Dwight). I agree that Jameer is a good Magic backup. Early 4th round may have been too early to draft Danny Green.
3/5/2024 9:40 PM
These evals are brief and bland.

17. uptowngbv - Kevin Garnett, Dennis Rodman, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Love, Derek Harper, Andrew Bynum, Terry Porter, Khris Middleton, Antonio McDyess, LaMarcus Aldridge, Dan Gadzuric, Daniel Theis

Harper, Kobe, Rodman, KG, Love being the usual starters gives you three very good/great and one good defender(s). That lineup has lots of rebounds and plenty of usage. KG can play SF the one season that Rodman can't, so that's good. I wonder if Kobe in the top half of the 3rd round is too soon, and will the eFG% of the starters be too low?

Porter backing up Harper in four seasons (and starting in one), along with Middleton backing up Kobe, seems reasonable. Bynum/Aldridge backing up PF/C and McDyess backing up SF/PF looks very nice. Theis sometimes backing up Rodman at SF is alright and Gadzuric has one good backup season.

18. benhoidal - Kawhi Leonard, Joel Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Pau Gasol, Kyle Lowry, Bo Outlaw, Brandan Wright, Nerlens Noel, Andris Biedrins, Cedric Ceballos, David West, Reggie Miller

When Butler, Leonard, Outlaw, Gasol, Embiid are on the court together, they might have the highest +/- in Savage. Because some of these players don't have a ton of minutes, picking the correct backups are very important.

Lowry backing up Butler and Miller (maybe Ceballos) backing up Leonard is nice offensively, although I wonder if the drop-off in defense could be an issue at times. Wright, Ceballos?, and West (especially the 17-18 season) provide nice SF minutes (and maybe some PF minutes as well). I'm guessing you'll have either Embiid or Gasol on the floor at all times and have Biedrins (with his high eFG% and good rebounding) cover the other PF/C minutes.

19. pbandj - Hakeem Olajuwon, Gary Payton, Christian Wood, Richaun Holmes, Domantas Sabonis, Nic Claxton, Delon Wright, Dwight Powell, Larry Sanders, Grant Hill, Drew Eubanks, Anthony Edwards

Payton, Wood, Holmes, Sabonis, Olajuwon gives you two great defenders, great rebounding, and plenty of usage. The eFG% of Hakeem and GP (along with the lowish minutes of Wood and Holmes) could be a concern.

Claxton has a great PF/C low usage 22-23 season. Powell has several low usage, high eFG% PF/C seasons. Delon Wright is a good PG/SG defender. Sanders has a nice backup SF 12-13 season. Hill is versatile. Eubanks has two good backup SF seasons. Edwards has three good usage PG/SG seasons. I'm curious exactly how you will work the PG rotation when Payton isn't on the floor.

20. dontburnearl - Larry Bird, Jrue Holiday, Paul George, Jerry Lucas, Joakim Noah, Bradley Beal, Mookie Blaylock, Evan Mobley, Anthony Mason, Marquese Chriss, Marvin Bagley, J.J. Hickson

Holiday, George, Bird, Lucas, Noah being the usual starters is all around solid and George in the 3rd is good value; however, I think drafting Holiday early in the second round is too soon.

Blaylock backing up Holiday and Beal backing up George looks good to me. Your other picks can back up PF/C, but I don't see a proper backup for Bird at SF. Perhpas drafting someone like Worthy or Griffin in the late rounds would've worked as a Bird backup.
3/5/2024 9:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...31 Next ▸
Savage XIV Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.