25 or 20 on DEF and OFF practice Topic

Do you guys set your defense and offense at 25 or 20?

I always use 20 but I think I should rething my strategy.
7/6/2015 8:16 PM
Someone (I can't remember who) said they used 18 minutes on each with good results, so that's what I've been using. I tend to put more weight on individual growth anyway. Seems like some coaches think IQ matters a lot and some don't.
7/6/2015 8:19 PM
I've been using 23 or 24 in some worlds. I'm about to switch to 25, because I've heard of a lot of good coaches using 25.
7/6/2015 8:36 PM
I use 22.
7/6/2015 8:53 PM
I use 25...IQ to me is one of the most telling categories so I want my guys as high as possible as quick as possible, but I also run press so it's also the difference between valuable bench defender and useless foul bait. 
7/6/2015 9:52 PM
I think it depends.  I have gone as low as 20 and as high as 29.

If you have a lot of players with tons of potential remaining, maybe team practice as low as 20

If your roster is dominated by veterans who are mostly capped out, improving IQ can be a better use of time

I also spend a few minutes more when my team runs press - I think IQ matters more there
7/6/2015 10:07 PM
Iq is for wimps.
7/6/2015 10:24 PM
I have found that IQ is way overrated when compared to individual ratings improvements. As in real life, when things break down you go to individual performance. I run three press teams and one FB team and have found 18/18 to be optimum. This gets them to close to max in individual ratings and to A- to A+ in IQ. It has been my xperience that once you get IQ to B+, there is very little difference in performance for A-/A+.
7/7/2015 4:16 AM
pallas, ow's 18 working for you?
7/7/2015 4:27 AM
I actually go the opposite of coachvegas.  I want my guys to max out as late in their careers as possible.  Anything sooner seems to me like wasted practice minutes from that point forward.  I go 20 on off and 23 on def (fb/fcp).  Want it higher on defense because fouls are a huge problem with low iq's.
7/7/2015 8:30 AM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 7/7/2015 4:27:00 AM (view original):
pallas, ow's 18 working for you?
I haven't been using 18 too long, but I like it so far. All of my freshmen got to a B- by the end of the year, and 18 minutes allows me plenty of individual practice minutes to improve what I want to improve. 
7/7/2015 12:13 PM (edited)
Posted by coachvegas44 on 7/7/2015 4:16:00 AM (view original):
I have found that IQ is way overrated when compared to individual ratings improvements. As in real life, when things break down you go to individual performance. I run three press teams and one FB team and have found 18/18 to be optimum. This gets them to close to max in individual ratings and to A- to A+ in IQ. It has been my xperience that once you get IQ to B+, there is very little difference in performance for A-/A+.
I think there is a significant difference between a B+ and an A+.......particularly in turnovers, I want my main scorers and PG's to have as high a IQ as possible.
7/7/2015 12:49 PM
I've been running 25 in off/def, if I'm switching one I might even go higher to get it faster.  I usually max all my players out anyways, by jr/sr year.  And with 25 minutes of practice time they usually hit B+ middle of soph year which is what I like my starters to be at min IQ wise.  Usually get A- end of So for high gpa students or early jr year.  All my senior starters hit A+ except for the 1/2 stupid kids on my team that only get A.  If I noticed my players weren't maxing I might drop down to 23 minutes and then maybe 22/20 since a reason a lot of my players are maxing early is that they are starting 3/4 years because of rebuilds.
7/7/2015 1:13 PM
I go with 24 mins for both. And just about every player reaches their potential usually by their senior year.
7/7/2015 9:21 PM
I guess my question would be, has anyone figured out the point of diminishing returns?    Someone said it began at 20 - so that your benefit from 25 compared to 20 was less than your benefit from 15 to 20
7/8/2015 11:11 AM
12 Next ▸
25 or 20 on DEF and OFF practice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.