ya look at wis, sometimes doesn't make sense, but who wanted to face jim palmer Wednesday night,,lol
7/5/2015 1:58 PM

1968 Tigers, I was quite young but saw my first game that year and the energy they created in the Motor City turned me on to baseball for a lifetime. 

7/6/2015 2:13 AM
so many people love that team,,,,up with 69 mets, speaking of under-rated, freehan,,,lol, man in command
7/6/2015 10:47 AM
Braves

I couldn't root for the Yankees, as they were taught to me to be the 'hated ones' - so for the formative years of my life I was a blind Mets/Seaver fan

TBS came into my life when I was 11-12 years old. This was around 1980-81 or so - living on Long Island, the area just got cable....collecting baseball cards throughout my childhood, the names on the Braves roster were quickly recognizable for a NY'er(Nettles & Chambliss made stops there & Torre became manager) I was also introduced to the day-to-day doings of Dale Murphy. He quickly became my idol.

They made a splash in '82 and were not to be heard from again until Bream beats that throw...The 90's were fun - especially when Chipper came along & owned Met pitching....I often joked to Met fans asking if their necks hurt from looking up at us atop the division for so long....or how an entire freshman class in HS had never seen any other team(at that time) finish in 1st in the NL East in their entire lifetime!!!

I was in Yankee Stadium when Andruw Jones went yard twice in his 1st WS game in '96

I hurt for weeks when Mark Wohlers went off-speed to Jimmy Leyritz, a few days later

I watched the ultimate trio in Maddux, Smoltz & Glavine - a sight (probably) never to be seen again.

I am patiently waiting for the new stadium & the rebuild that is taking place, currently

7/6/2015 11:35 AM
yanks are the hated ones,,,top 3 in the rotation,glavine maddux smoltz,, hope someone lives long enough to see better,,,
7/6/2015 2:56 PM
Leyritz' homer is up there with Chambliss' to win the pennant in 1976 as one of the best baseball moments of my life. 
7/6/2015 4:02 PM
I watched the ultimate trio in Maddux, Smoltz & Glavine - a sight (probably) never to be seen again.
I guess whether I believe this or not depends a lot on how much you require the same sort of longevity of the group.  The 2011 Phillies top 3 were better than most of Glavine/Maddux/Smoltz's years together, and the pitchers were of similar caliber.  But Halladay fell apart the next year and they really only had one great year together.  I would also say the current Dodgers rotation, headed by Greinke, Kershaw, and Ryu, has a chance to be similarly great.  The 2013-14 results for those three were fairly comparable to what the Braves big 3 did in their prime from '95-'98 (not the prime for Maddux, clearly the best pitcher of the 3, but those were the years when all 3 were actually pitching really well; the reality is that for Maddux's first few years in Atlanta Smoltz and Glavine were fairly average SPs).
7/6/2015 4:08 PM
Posted by italyprof on 7/6/2015 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Leyritz' homer is up there with Chambliss' to win the pennant in 1976 as one of the best baseball moments of my life. 
Bucky Dent, baby!
7/6/2015 4:39 PM
Bucky Dent...hmm, can't recall him...oh yes, wasn't he the guy who threw out the first ball before game 7 of the 2004 ALCS?  Seems an odd guy to bring up in this thread, but hey, whatever floats your boat....
7/6/2015 4:48 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 7/6/2015 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Bucky Dent...hmm, can't recall him...oh yes, wasn't he the guy who threw out the first ball before game 7 of the 2004 ALCS?  Seems an odd guy to bring up in this thread, but hey, whatever floats your boat....
Spoken like a true BoSox fan ...
7/6/2015 5:14 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/6/2015 4:08:00 PM (view original):
I guess whether I believe this or not depends a lot on how much you require the same sort of longevity of the group.  The 2011 Phillies top 3 were better than most of Glavine/Maddux/Smoltz's years together, and the pitchers were of similar caliber.  But Halladay fell apart the next year and they really only had one great year together.  I would also say the current Dodgers rotation, headed by Greinke, Kershaw, and Ryu, has a chance to be similarly great.  The 2013-14 results for those three were fairly comparable to what the Braves big 3 did in their prime from '95-'98 (not the prime for Maddux, clearly the best pitcher of the 3, but those were the years when all 3 were actually pitching really well; the reality is that for Maddux's first few years in Atlanta Smoltz and Glavine were fairly average SPs).
What was REALLY unfair about the Braves rotation in their glory years was they seemed to find that fourth starter who never quite lived up to his non-Brave years after leaving - Avery, Millwood, Neagle, Mercker, ...
7/6/2015 5:19 PM
Cubs. My uncle played minor league ball and gave it up to make a living. This was the 50's. He taught my brothers, cousins and me baseball and we played every day. He lived next door to us and would play with us after work. He was a diehard Cubs fan...and turned me into a lifelong fan as well.
7/6/2015 9:08 PM
Lifelong Phillies fan.  From watching The Bull in Veterans Stadium to Cody Asche in Citizens Bank, it's been a ton of fun.
7/6/2015 10:56 PM
The Twins

From my first ever game at the Met at age 8 in 81, to summer nights listening to Herb Carneal on the radio, growing up with that class of 82, Frankie V, Hrbie, G-Man, Bruno, to Kirby joining them in 84, then the gang putting it all together in 87, to Jack dominating the greatest Game 7 ever in 91, to that classic extra innings Game 163 win over Detroit as we closed out the Dome in 09, to gorgeous summer sunsets at Target Field, to whatever Buxton and Sano have in store for the next dozen years.
7/6/2015 11:37 PM
eloquent posts,,, not mine, teams I usually root for, less they re playing the sox,,giants, twins,,Phillies,,,old dodgers, only cause they played the yanks in the ws,bout 4 times I watched,,,won once,,,lol
7/7/2015 1:38 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.