2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

We'll see how well your crystal ball works, but not until next year at this time. Until then, nothing either of us say is right or wrong, it's simply speculation. BTW, that "role player" Clarkson was good enough to send Lin to the bench, and the Mavs now want that same Lin to be their starting PG. Might be time to give the kid some credit, but I'll understand if you take a wait-and-see stance. Also, that "utter wreck" has secured possibly the 2 best values of FA so far.
7/6/2015 2:49 PM
There's some circular logic. Dallas wanting Lin doesn't mean Lin is good, it's because they have little to no cap room and he's the best cheapest available option. I don't know if Clarkson is a keeper or not, there's not much pressure being a role player on a team 40 games under .500

Lakers fans have idea that players nowadays dream of being a Laker, and they'll do what it takes to get there. This is false as the last two offseasons have shown. Players don't need to be in LA or NY to be marketable. They can be in New Orleans, Oklahoma City, or Miami and just as easily support their brand.

A stable front office and ownership is key, and the Lakers seem to have problems in that area that need to be addressed. Maybe they'll get lucky and a young player of theirs turns into a superstar, and players are going to fall over themselves trying to sign with the Lakers, but until that happens, the Lakers will be just another team.
7/6/2015 3:52 PM
David West to Spurs on a veteran minimum contract.  The one team that can actually challenge the Cavs keeps getting better.

Marc Gasol re-signs in Memphis on a full 5 year maximum.

7/6/2015 4:34 PM
The Cavs will get beat by whatever team comes out of the West.
7/6/2015 5:02 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 7/6/2015 5:02:00 PM (view original):
but you forget: They would have won easily this year had there not been injuries, possibly even sweeping GS.  (That dogma brought to you by Moranis)
7/6/2015 6:33 PM
Posted by moranis on 7/6/2015 4:34:00 PM (view original):
David West to Spurs on a veteran minimum contract.  The one team that can actually challenge the Cavs keeps getting better.

It's mind boggling to me your a Celtics fan.
7/6/2015 7:34 PM
stinenavu - Players don't need to be in LA or NY to be marketable. They can be in New Orleans, Oklahoma City, or Miami and just as easily support their brand.

First of all, you're probably the only person to ever lump those 3 cities together for any reason.
Second, if you don't think AD or Durant and Westbrook would be "bigger" in LA than they've been in OK and NO respectively, you can add that to the list of things you're kidding yourself about.

I get it though. You're a Laker-hater because they've been so good for so long. No problem. There is certainly plenty about their recent and current teams to make fun of. Just try to stick to reality and facts when doing so, instead of grasping and straws and using your predictions.
7/6/2015 9:23 PM
Well, it all depends on what level of absurdly rich & famous you want to be.  On one hand you can be a) absurdly rich & famous & have a chance to win with an organization with a more recently proven track record, while on the other you can be b) slightly more absurdly rich & famous & have a chance to win with an organization that used to have a proven track record but has seriously dropped the ball the last few years.  Melo & Kobe are both seemingly accurate depictions of what kind of players are going to go for b... at least right now.

But let's not kid ourselves; the Lakers & the Knicks will, at some point, attract some actual quality free agents that will greatly improve their team.  But while we're grounded in reality, let's remember that the last few years have been a disaster & the smaller market teams are consistently better & making consistently better steps to improve.  The moment the Lakers hired D'antoni instead of PJx11, they set themselves up for years of failure & frustration.  (I'm not saying they would have been better with Phil, but the impression of weakness in the front office by doing what they did has become a self-fulfilling prophecy)

Also, while we're not kidding ourselves, let's not act like Lou Williams is any good (in terms of NBA good).  The guy is an extremely inefficient, shoot first type player that is exactly what the Lakers already have in Kobe, except this guy doesn't play defense in the same ball park nor is as good at getting others involved.  Just because you got a good deal on a bag of **** doesn't change the fact that you spent money on a bag of ****.  And again - what did I say about the types of players those organizations are going to attract?

I hope that I'm wrong & that you're right, all3, but you really seem to have the blinders on as much as we accuse Moranis of having them on.  I'm not a Lakers-first fan, but I've always had a soft spot for them and WANT them to succeed.  The league with a ****** Laker team just isn't the same to me.
7/6/2015 10:15 PM
Posted by bkbillups on 7/6/2015 7:34:00 PM (view original):

why is that mind boggling?  The Celtics are a poor to mediocre team right now.  They will not realistically be competing for a title this season or any time soon without the addition of some major talent.  I will certainly root for them as I did in the sweep against Cleveland this past post-season, but reality is reality.
7/7/2015 8:57 AM
Posted by ashamael on 7/6/2015 6:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 7/6/2015 5:02:00 PM (view original):
but you forget: They would have won easily this year had there not been injuries, possibly even sweeping GS.  (That dogma brought to you by Moranis)
The Cavs nearly beat Golden State without Love and Irving, yet you don't think they would have made a difference or altered the outcome of the series.  Please pass whatever it is you are smoking.
7/7/2015 9:00 AM

You do realize that they could have made a difference and/or altered the outcome of the series without the end result being an easy win or a sweep, right?

7/7/2015 9:20 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 7/7/2015 9:20:00 AM (view original):

You do realize that they could have made a difference and/or altered the outcome of the series without the end result being an easy win or a sweep, right?

Of course, but that wasn't his implication.  He was implying I was crazy as evident by his usage of the word dogma. 
7/7/2015 9:33 AM
Crazy to think they would have won easily/swept - you know, the thing you actually said and that he actually referred to.
7/7/2015 9:47 AM
Posted by moranis on 7/7/2015 8:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bkbillups on 7/6/2015 7:34:00 PM (view original):

why is that mind boggling?  The Celtics are a poor to mediocre team right now.  They will not realistically be competing for a title this season or any time soon without the addition of some major talent.  I will certainly root for them as I did in the sweep against Cleveland this past post-season, but reality is reality.
Never heard a Celtics fan slurp another team.
7/7/2015 10:52 AM
David Lee to Celtics for the corpse of Gerald Wallace.  Saves the Warriors some money, Celtics get a quality big.
7/7/2015 3:03 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.