2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

So...the Hornets skipped Winslow to draft Kaminsky. That is the sign of an organization utterly off the rails. I think that was the Celtics target. Even if they didn't like Winslow, they failed completely to adjust to the market. They could have gotten way more in return for Winslow than Kaminsky will ever produce. I really don't see that guy ever startling.

I am just going to say it...with that move they're still the Bobcats. I feel free to ignore them again. Maybe someday Jordan will decide to try to build a winner, but, more likely, he'll sell first.
6/26/2015 1:42 PM
Posted by moranis on 6/25/2015 10:21:00 PM (view original):
So Philly has to trade a big man, right?
I don't think they have to be in any hurry to do so given the uncertainty around Embiid.  Obviously if Embiid gets healthy at some point, they've got decisions to make.
6/26/2015 2:15 PM
No one knows what Charlotte is doing. It's been that way for years. You could say the same about Philly. At some point ownership has to wonder when these tank jobs are going to turn into wins.
6/26/2015 4:18 PM
Apparently the Celtics offered 6 picks including 3 firsts and one other that may have been a first for 9.  Charlotte turned it down for Frank K.
6/27/2015 4:13 PM
6/27/2015 7:50 PM
Most interesting question so far this offseason..... Will Kobe EVER pass the ball to Larry Nance Jr?
6/27/2015 9:55 PM
Posted by moranis on 6/27/2015 4:14:00 PM (view original):
Apparently the Celtics offered 6 picks including 3 firsts and one other that may have been a first for 9.  Charlotte turned it down for Frank K.
Exactly. Even if it was their 2 this year, 2 future 2nd rnd picks and 2 lottery protected 1st rnd picks in the future...WTF! You try to soften the lottery protections, but take the deal!
6/28/2015 8:51 AM
It was likely the 2 firsts this year, the Dallas first, and the Minnesota first (which would probably have become 2 seconds), plus two seconds (at least one was likely this year if not both seconds).  Boston wanted Winslow.  Of course had Boston not acquired Thomas, they probably would have missed the playoffs and just been able to draft Winslow. 
6/28/2015 11:50 AM
Sam Amico says Love has told the Cavs he is going to re-sign with them.
6/28/2015 1:50 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. A longer view for this offseason for the Cavs...
  • Irving, LeBron, Love (if he re-signs) are maxed out.
  • Thompson rejected 4 years $52M last offseason and will want more than that.
  • Varejao is a huge negative asset, as he's on the books for $10M a year for 3 more seasons.
  • Shump is a restricted FA.
  • JR Smith is unrestricted, but the Cavs can re-sign him no matter the dollar figure.
  • Teams might have interest in Delly, but he isn't worth much more than the minimum salary.
  • Mozgov has one more season at $5M, so what to do there won't be an issue until next offseason.
  • Mike Miller has a player option of about $3M, when he isn't worth diddly.
  • They have Brendan Haywood's non-guaranteed contract, which they might get an asset for to a team needing cap relief, or just cut him themselves.
The owner will apparently spend whatever it takes, but he's in line to pay the highest tax bill ever.

In the short run, they will likely re-sign Thompson, Shump, and maybe JR Smith. Then hold out their mid level exception for a guard or wing player looking for a title.

Long run I think the team would be at their best of they keep Mozgov and Love as the frontcourt and trade off Thompson (assuming Love re-signs).
6/28/2015 2:56 PM
Looks like LeBron opted out
6/28/2015 3:44 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 6/28/2015 2:56:00 PM (view original):
I'll believe it when I see it. A longer view for this offseason for the Cavs...
  • Irving, LeBron, Love (if he re-signs) are maxed out.
  • Thompson rejected 4 years $52M last offseason and will want more than that.
  • Varejao is a huge negative asset, as he's on the books for $10M a year for 3 more seasons.
  • Shump is a restricted FA.
  • JR Smith is unrestricted, but the Cavs can re-sign him no matter the dollar figure.
  • Teams might have interest in Delly, but he isn't worth much more than the minimum salary.
  • Mozgov has one more season at $5M, so what to do there won't be an issue until next offseason.
  • Mike Miller has a player option of about $3M, when he isn't worth diddly.
  • They have Brendan Haywood's non-guaranteed contract, which they might get an asset for to a team needing cap relief, or just cut him themselves.
The owner will apparently spend whatever it takes, but he's in line to pay the highest tax bill ever.

In the short run, they will likely re-sign Thompson, Shump, and maybe JR Smith. Then hold out their mid level exception for a guard or wing player looking for a title.

Long run I think the team would be at their best of they keep Mozgov and Love as the frontcourt and trade off Thompson (assuming Love re-signs).
Gilbert will pay the tax this year.  Next year when the cap goes way up, his tax will be much smaller if any. 

BTW, I think Love signs a similar contract to James.  2 years with the 2nd being a player option.  Will give him more flexibility and another year to see if he likes Cleveland.  By opting out he can sign for more money than had he just opted in, which is why he opted out.

6/29/2015 11:37 AM
Anthony Davis signs largest contract in NBA history to remain in New Orleans.
Kawhi Leonard re-signs in San Antonio with a full max.
Brook Lopez and Thad Young re-sign with Brooklyn (Lopez at 20 million a year, Young at like 13 a year).

Jimmy Butler cancelled all meetings and is expected to re-sign with the Bulls.

Bunch of other meetings set or have happened: Love with LA, Aldridge with LA, Jordan a bunch of teams, Rondo with Kings, Ellis with Pacers, but no other major signings announced.

Note: Obviously they can't sign said contracts yet, but all have agreed.

7/1/2015 9:02 AM
Brandon Knight and Khris Middleton staying in Phoenix and Milwaukee respectively.  Both sign 5 yr, 70 million dollar contracts.

Mike Dunleavy staying in Chicago for 3 yrs, 15 million.

Goran Dragic 5yr, 90 million to remain in Miami.

7/1/2015 9:51 AM (edited)
Love back to Cleveland, 5 years, 110 million.
7/1/2015 2:57 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.