2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Some big names are up for grabs:
Marc Gasol
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Love
DeAndre Jordan

Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, and Kawhi Leonard are restricted free agents and thus aren't going anywhere, but it will be curious if teams bother offering the max to them knowing they will just get locked up by the current team.

Others out there:
Rajon Rondo
Wes Matthews
Paul Pierce
Greg Monroe
Danny Green
Tyson Chandler
6/17/2015 3:06 PM
I think Love opts in.
6/17/2015 3:22 PM
Posted by moranis on 6/17/2015 3:22:00 PM (view original):
I think Love opts in.
Maybe so, but he might just be a good player on a bad team type of player. Maybe we'll see next year.
6/20/2015 9:00 PM
Stein reports Love does in fact opt out.

Ridnour traded from Orlando to Memphis for a European taken in the 2nd round two years ago.  Memphis wanted some extra cap room.

6/24/2015 2:30 PM
Wouldn't Memphis be losing cap room by trading for a player?

Cleveland is in a odd spot with LeBron likely to opt out to get max money for another season, Love is a max player, and Tristan Thompson is going to get big money. Put them along with Irving, and you have a team over the cap with huge depth issues. Maybe the get lucky and can sign-and-trade Thompson or Love for a wing.
6/24/2015 4:25 PM
Who owns the Love trade more, the GM or LeBron?
6/24/2015 5:12 PM
don't think I'd give Love the max if I was cleveland.  sucks that they gave away Wiggins for him... I think history will show it was a bad trade, even though I was really, really gung-ho about it myself at the time.
6/24/2015 10:05 PM
I was as well, a contract should have been a must if you deal the first overall pick for Love. How many times has an athlete backed out when they said they would resign at a later date? He might still sign with them, but it's a bad business idea to ever let him hit the market.
6/25/2015 7:52 AM
The rules are really unfavorable to players when extending contracts as opposed to signing a new contract as a free agent.  Love was always going to hit the market at some point - the only thing the Cavs might realistically have been able to do at the time of the trade was to get him to opt in for next year so they were guaranteed two years.
6/25/2015 8:07 AM
I thought there was a trade of big name player a few years ago, in which the player's contract was revised to where they couldn't opt out, thus had to spend at least two seasons with the new team. Can't recall who it was though. Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony?
6/25/2015 10:38 AM
Chris Paul opted in (or at least announced he would opt in) when his trade finally went through.  I don't know/recall if he did anything formally about it or just honored his word.  

Dwight Howard signed an amendment to waive his right to opt out in Orlando, before he was eventually traded that summer - so there would have been some way for the Cavs to get the guarantee on next year if they had wanted to insist on it, but that would have realistically been it.
6/25/2015 10:47 AM
Yeah after Carmelo was traded to the Knicks and signed an extension prior to the trade, the NBA owners changed the rule in the next C.B.A.  You can't extend your contract and get traded so the Cavs could never have gotten Love locked up long term.  Just not possible.
6/25/2015 4:22 PM
Portland clearly going full on rebuilding by trading Batum for Vonleh and Henderson. 

Aldridge is apparently not going to come back so I guess I can see rebuilding, but I would have thought Portland could have done a bit better than that for Batum.

6/25/2015 5:21 PM
It was Chris Paul, thanks AlCheez.

I think it's a pretty good trade for Portland. You get a player who can reproduce a fair amount of what Batum gave you, plus you get a lottery ticket in Vonleh, for one season of Batum.

Aldridge looks likely to leave, and they will have the cash available to try and woo anyone. Free agency is a tough business, but perhaps playing with Damian Lillard is enticing for someone. I doubt they get a star though.
6/25/2015 5:34 PM
So Philly has to trade a big man, right?
6/25/2015 10:21 PM
123456 Next ▸
2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.