What do the red and blue % numbers mean? Why red and why blue? What does it all mean?
6/4/2015 2:05 PM
The first number is their current level of fatigue, and the second number is what their fatigue will be after one more game of rest. If they are under 90%, the number turns blue, and if it's below 70% (I'm not totally sure on that number) it is red. The colors only serve as a quick visual to see which of your pitchers are fatigued. There is a lot of strategy in figuring out the best way to manage fatigue, but if you're seeing a lot of red and blue, you are playing fatigued pitchers who are not going to perform as well as if they were fully rested.
6/4/2015 2:56 PM
Fatigue has a number of elements: every pitcher can go the total number of real life innings pitched (IP) plus 10% (a bonus from WIS) in theory, though in practice it is more complicated and many different approaches are used.

Also, the pitchers' real life (RL) IP/G - that is, innings pitched per game are important. So a pitcher with 150 IP on the season seems like they could start, but if their IP/G (which you see when you click on their name and get their real life stats - it is over on the far right) is 3 it means that after 3 innings they will start to tire. Likewise, pitchers with IP/G of 8 will not really adapt that well to being used as closers.

Then there is a certain limit, we think it is at the point where a pitcher appears in 2/3 of their team's games, where even if the other elements are okay, will lead to a fatigue breakdown. 

Here are the links to many of the best explanations of pitcher fatigue and how to deal with pitchers - see also any post in the Forum by elbirdo, perhaps THE leading expert on all things pitching:

How to set pitch counts for your staff

Understanding Fatigue

More on hitting fatigue

How fatigue works when you pick someone up from the WW or acquire them via trade:
6/4/2015 4:39 PM
Thanx guys!
6/9/2015 7:34 PM
Sorry to correct the good professor, but WIS uses number of pitches thrown instead of IP to determine how much usage is allowed for a pitcher.  Usually in a lower cap, you can get more innings out of a pitcher because of less pitches thrown and although I don't play extremely high caps (160m+), I would think the opposite would be true.

I don't remember the exact number of pitches per inning used but it is somewhere around 15.4.  A few of us on the baseball council suggested going to a straight IP/162 + 10% allowance, but that was 2-3 years ago.  They never responded if I remember correctly.
6/9/2015 8:57 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
mensu1954 is right of course, I was writing quickly, because I figured people would read the links I had posted which would give the fuller picture. Yes fatigue is about pitch counts, not IP. Thanks.
6/11/2015 6:40 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.