Always RS an STL??? Topic

I have what I think is an interesting dilemma.  I signed an STL OL who will be the #10 overall GUESS OL (60.7).  He is 71/71 str/blk but only 26 WE.  This is D-II.

Anthony Schultz  

Given the composition of my roster, he will #10 on my depth chart.  Realistically, he probably will not start for me until his 3rd season (as a JR or RS SO).

If he were not an STL recruit, there is 0 chance I would red shirt him.  But he is, hence the dilemma.  I'm sure as a RS he has a shot at becoming an 80+ GUESS rated OL by the time he graduates, which is pretty spectacular.  But I'm strongly considering RS someone else (I have my other 2 RS set).

So the question - do you ALWAYS RS an STL recruit?  In the end I likely will RS him but I am curious on others thoughts.
5/28/2015 10:56 PM (edited)
My own opinion is there are Very Few "Always" in this game.  
        Big part of any decision is the circumstance : For ex: Would your team be better off if he started ? Or not redshirted and just went up the chain from bottom to top progression in the depth chart. 
          Big part depends on his attributes . Is he a STL with great numbers, then you have something special . And if you  can afford to redshirt him it's not a bad idea. Def RS if you cant start a great STL. 
     We tend to lose focus sometimes because one player may have such potential. But what move is best for the consistent winning of the team ?
5/28/2015 11:03 PM
Mojo: I agree with your analysis completely.  That's why I am having the internal debate.  I think the common thought process is that you would always RS an STL OL and get him starting as soon as possible.  In this instance, I'm not 100% convinced it makes the most sense for my team and the style I play. It is hard to make an educated guess without knowing exactly the mechanics of how the sim functions.  But one thing that we think we know - the OL is "averaged" across the board - makes having a stand out OL less valuable than at other positions - in my opinion.  And the style of game I consistently face from top teams - NDB pass especially - make other positions far more valuable to me.
5/28/2015 11:25 PM
Based on the fact that he is only 26 WE would lessen my thoughts about a redshirt for him.  From my experience, a STL with that low of WE is not much different than a standard above average potential prospect.  I don't normally redshirt OL very often either because I feel I get more value using it at other positions.  
5/29/2015 2:42 AM
I agree with georgehd. The low WE will hamper his development, unless you were to start him as a freshman. Then the WE would improve a lot in his first season. But it sounds like starting him right away is not the best thing for your team. I'd redshirt him and see what happens, unless you have other players that are more worthy of a redshirt. I don't redshirt linemen and tight ends very often.
5/29/2015 7:49 AM
If he is SITL, redshirt him.
5/29/2015 9:58 AM
Posted by vhoward415 on 5/29/2015 9:58:00 AM (view original):
If he is SITL, redshirt him.
I agree with this one... His low WE will cause him to develop more slowly but if he has that extra year it will help down the road.
5/29/2015 2:00 PM
always always always RS
5/29/2015 3:11 PM
I would redshirt him, and I am confident I would make sure he is starting as a redshirt freshman. That WE will be fine. If you redshirt him and start him all four years, I suspect it will end up in the 60s or 70s
5/29/2015 3:53 PM
Redshirt him and get him as many starts as you can. That's pretty much the blueprint for STL.
5/29/2015 6:18 PM
Redshirt him.  STL growth over 5 seasons > STL growth over 4 seasons.  Low WE growth over 5 seasons > low WE growth over 4 seasons.  You'll get enough growth out of him his redshirt year that he should be able to play at least half of every game as a redshirt FR, thus get credit for a start. Maybe play him entire game vs SIMs and lesser teams. His WE is below the threshold to increase much even starting his entire career, but you won't need it if he is STL and gets PT and starts.
5/29/2015 6:53 PM
Get him 30% PT right away. He will qualify for starts, raising his low WE 10-16 points a season, depending on your PO success..
5/29/2015 9:52 PM
I don't think you can get a 10-16 point increase when WE is at 26.
5/29/2015 10:53 PM
The lower an attribute is the bigger it grows quickly. Get him FR starts for 2 Ex games and 16 others and watch. WE is a different animal, it is grown with Potential and Starts......... WE, Practice minutes, and Potential, determine the growth of everything else.
5/30/2015 12:12 AM (edited)
Do starts count in Ex games??

5/30/2015 12:47 AM
123 Next ▸
Always RS an STL??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.