$120M Choose Your Own Theme XIV (waitlisting) Topic

We are back for the 14th season of this theme-themed theme.

Sometimes, themes out there can be overly restrictive, complicated, or just not interesting. Or sometimes you get an idea for a theme, but you know it would be nearly impossible or simply too boring to fill an entire league around that one theme idea. In this league, you get to avoid all those problems because you're the one choosing your theme, and no one else can use it.

Build a team entirely of guys named Dick, an all-franchise squad, (almost) anything you want. If you want to pick a theme that uses some randomized variables, I'll be happy to do the randomization for you to get started.

League # sitemailed after signing up your theme

$120M Cap
No AAA
No DH
No Waiver Wire
No trades
No clones (unless your theme specifically involves clones)
Injuries on
Standard 24-team schedule
Any stadium

Additional rules:

Themes must affect all 25 players on your roster. No offense-only or pitching-only themes.
No stat-restriction themes will be allowed. So nothing like "All my hitters will hit over .330 and my pitchers will have OAVs under .200". Your team should have an actual theme and not just stat restrictions.

Describe your theme details when signing up so I can Ok it and verify rosters more easily...I'll reserve the right to deny a theme if it offers virtually no restrictions at all (For example: "My team will not have any players named Zeke" is not a reasonable theme).

Please try to choose a team name that somehow identifies your theme.

Feel free to get creative or crazy. Have some fun and good luck to all who play...

Wall of Champions
I - Pfattkatt (Triples Theme)
II - Pfattkatt (Deadball Players Theme) 2-time champ
III - Skunk206 (All names had Mc, O', or -son)
IV - Skunk206 (All players shared a last name with a HOFer from another sport)
V - thurst63 (All hitters had fewer than 10 HR, all pitchers allowed fewer than 10 HR)
VI - josiah31 (All left-handed players)
VII - alleyviper (All players are former MVPs, Cy Youngs, RotYs and Rolaids Relief winners)
VIII - Skunk206 (All players cloned except the 25th man - "Walternates")
IX - uncleal (All players from seasons ending in 8)
X - dweigel (All players played their entire career for one franchise)
XI - Skunk206 (All players from Chicago franchises) 4-time champ
XII - alston (Franchise soup)
XIII - jbar8888 (All batter first names and pitcher last names start with J, B, A, or R)

TOC Champs
Season IV - Skunk206
Season XIII - jbar8888
7/22/2015 1:07 PM (edited)
Owners and their themes: (bold = team is entered and roster is OK, * = league number sent)

*1. Skunk206 - All players' first names will end with the double-E sound in honor of my dog, Roxie
*2. fatboydad54 - "Can I Buy a Vowel?"  All players' last names will begin with a,e,i,o or u.
*3. hacker7 - All New York Yankees
*4. pinotfan - All player seasons will end with 6
*5. SophieGiants - All player salaries will end in 0
*6. ghsisler - "War of the Roses" All player names will contain one of Rose, York, Lancaster, Red, White, Henry, Edward, George, Richard, King, Queen, Prince, Duke, Earl, Tudor
*7. flakfizer - All players will share a link to random BBR page of Mark Gardner (teammates, same birthday, played in 1st/last game, etc.)
*8. Lanny - All players' last names will begin with M
*9. gewrite - "Te Amo Cuba"  All players born in Cuba
*10. vtspirits - "Just WIN, Baby"  All players born in states beginning with letters W, I, N
*11. Yaz2Schill - "Yaz2Schill Twist"  All players were teammates of either Carl Yastrzemski or Curt Schilling twisted to any year of their careers
*12. cwillis802 - All African-Americans
*13. tribe_fan_09 - All players from Cleveland franchises
*14. magellan9872 - All Reds
*15. alston - All players will have birthdays in the same month as alston, November
*16. d_rock97 - All players will come from a different country (country soup)
*17. yargespd1 - All players born on 5/26 or a teammate of someone born on 5/26
*18. jmcoombs1 - All players from teams based in California
*19. hogger0223 - All players will have played for the Padres, but season used must be a non-Padre season
*20. midknight - All players will have appeared in a box score on 6-8-57
*21. 2chair - 2014 BJ Upton must accumulate 600 PA and all other players' last names will begin with B, J, U, P, T, O, N
*22. finn2030 - All players will be 6'1" per baseball-reference.com
*23. doubletruck - Walter Johnson - Every player's last name starts with one of the letters in Walter's name, twice for each letter (4 O's but 3 N's to make 25)
*24. randy_114b - All players from the 1960's 

Preseason sign-ups for season 15

2chair - 5 random seasons (1891, 1900, 1956, 1975, 2014) and at least 3 players from each season
flakfizer - TBD
alston - All players from teams with a color in their nickname
7/10/2015 11:01 PM (edited)
As per my usual custom, I'll post my roster below for easy verification and transparency:

Benny Kauff
Tony Gwynn
Johnny Mize
Mickey Cochrane
Freddy Lindstrom
Tony Lazzeri
Harry Heilmann
Arky Vaughan
Sandy Alomar, Jr.
Howie Clark
Ricky Ledee
Jimmy Moore
Tubby Spencer
Addie Joss
Sandy Koufax
Christy Mathewson
Andy Rincon
Ferdie Schupp
Johnny Rigney
Buddy Groom
Hong-Chih Kuo
Harry Coveleski
Marty Bystrom
Neftali Feliz
Bobby Jenks
5/22/2015 9:29 PM
I'm in, TBD!
5/22/2015 10:30 PM
Ditto!
5/22/2015 10:59 PM
Can I Buy A Vowel

All players last names will begin with a,e,i,o or u.

5/23/2015 2:19 AM
Posted by fatboydad54 on 5/23/2015 2:19:00 AM (view original):
Can I Buy A Vowel

All players last names will begin with a,e,i,o or u.

Ok
5/23/2015 10:58 AM
I'd like to give it a go again with a "Wars of the Roses"  theme.  It was the White Rose of the House of York vs. the Red Rose of the House of Lancaster.   Key people involved included the names Henry, Edward, George, and Richard.  Team will be made of people with at least one of these in their names (first or last):
Rose/York/Lancaster/Red/White/Henry/Edward/George/Richard/King/Queen/Prince/Duke/Earl.  Hank/Ed/Eddie/Rich/Rick, etc. are not allowable variations.
5/23/2015 1:29 PM
Posted by ghsisler on 5/23/2015 1:29:00 PM (view original):
I'd like to give it a go again with a "Wars of the Roses"  theme.  It was the White Rose of the House of York vs. the Red Rose of the House of Lancaster.   Key people involved included the names Henry, Edward, George, and Richard.  Team will be made of people with at least one of these in their names (first or last):
Rose/York/Lancaster/Red/White/Henry/Edward/George/Richard/King/Queen/Prince/Duke/Earl.  Hank/Ed/Eddie/Rich/Rick, etc. are not allowable variations.
Ok
5/23/2015 2:16 PM
I'll of course be back.  Just have to do a tiny bit of research to make sure my plan is viable.
5/24/2015 10:54 AM
Can't wait to see what you come up with...
5/24/2015 12:11 PM
Alright, let's see if this works. It is possible that this is a complete failure and I have to try something else, but I think it should work.  Skunk, I'll get you to go to a random BBR page, and keep hitting random until you get a player who would appear in the WIS database (ie, post-1885, meets the min PA/IP).  Let me know who Random Dude is.  

My team will be the Tribute to Random Dude.

All the teammates (of course Random Dude is one the team) will be drawn from the biographical information of Random Dude.  They will share birthdays, birth years birth locations, death information, be twisted teammates from his first or last game, be drafted in the same draft, and so on.  I'll post the connections here to save the trouble of tracking them down.

Alright, here's the connections to Mark Gardner.  Thank god for a California kid.

Tim Raines -- Expos teammate
Tony Gwynn -- Opponent in first game
Roberto Alomar -- opponent in first game
Frank Chance -- born in California
Harry Heilmann -- born in Cali
Joe Cronin -- born in Cali
Gary Carter -- Expos teammate
Stan Hack -- born in Cali
Randy Asadoor -- born in Cali
Micah Hoffpaiur --born on March 1
Dave Martinez --  Expos teammate
Razor Shines -- Expos teammate
Dick Schofield (jr) -- Born in 1962
Skip Schumaker -- born in Cali
Darren Daulton -- born in 1962
Don Drysdale -- born in Cali
Roger Clemens -- born in 1962
Randy Johnson -- born in Cali
Tom Seaver -- went to Fresno City College
Dennis Eckersley -- born in Cali
Tiny Bonham -- born in Cali
Doug Fister -- went to Cal State Fresno
Mike Scott -- born in Cali
Doug Henry -- born in Cali
Mark Gardner -- is Mark Gardner

6/2/2015 6:18 PM (edited)
Posted by flakfizer on 5/24/2015 6:11:00 PM (view original):
Alright, let's see if this works. It is possible that this is a complete failure and I have to try something else, but I think it should work.  Skunk, I'll get you to go to a random BBR page, and keep hitting random until you get a player who would appear in the WIS database (ie, post-1885, meets the min PA/IP).  Let me know who Random Dude is.  

My team will be the Tribute to Random Dude.

All the teammates (of course Random Dude is one the team) will be drawn from the biographical information of Random Dude.  They will share birthdays, birth years birth locations, death information, be twisted teammates from his first or last game, be drafted in the same draft, and so on.  I'll post the connections here to save the trouble of tracking them down.

Nice.   And your random player bio is...Mark Gardner

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gardnma01-pitch.shtml

Not great himself, but he played for 4 different teams and I think you'll be able to put together some decent twisted teammates.
5/24/2015 10:27 PM
Id love to join and my theme is Te amo Cuba....all players are born in Cuba
5/25/2015 9:13 AM
Just "WIN" baby! All players born in states starting with W, I or N.
5/25/2015 9:51 AM
1234 Next ▸
$120M Choose Your Own Theme XIV (waitlisting) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.