Rule V Leg #48 Draft Thread Topic

Posted by spikeboots on 4/22/2015 10:17:00 PM (view original):
I think it's fluff thay you can't pick your team and your 5 keepers.Practicaly every owner has had many teams over and over and been around long enough to know the core 5 for every team. Pick a team it takes 2 minutes to decide your keepers and 1 minute to send off a site mail to the commish.Easy peasy.
The amount of teams that have 5 easy keepers is maybe a half-dozen and that's high if anything. Look at some old drafts and see how much keeper variance there is.
4/23/2015 10:54 AM
We all have busy schedules, but because  the nature of this league focuses on the excitement of the draft itself, if an owner is unable to get his keepers in within 24 hours of "picking his team", maybe commish should draft for him.  
4/23/2015 11:03 AM (edited)
I agree with ff09. As I said in an email to a couple of owners, I was around the 17th, 18th, 19th and the morning of the 20th waiting to pick my team. a BS work issue hung me up for 12 hours in picking my team but I still sent in my keepers within an hour of picking my team. 24 hours is a good amount of time to figure things out. I mean you know what's going on when you join the league.  I really don't think it is fair to keep everyone else hanging and would support any penalty the commish decides.
4/23/2015 11:07 AM (edited)
I have no problem with replacing chronically late owners - we certainly have some - but if you're whining about someone waiting until they get home or to the next day before making a keeper selection you're just being a dick for no reason.
4/23/2015 11:20 AM
I've been a commissioner for many leagues where we draft in the forums. It's quite amazing how instituting a penalty will get the chronic stragglers moving. Without any penalty, some people just don't feel there's any urgency to keep things moving... after all, it's just fake baseball. What they don't understand, is 22 or 23 other people made a concerted effort to get their pick(s) submitted in a timely manner and their efforts are essentially being made meaningless. I think that's simply being inconsiderate.

If a legitimate issue comes up, then we can certainly understand and forgive. But it seems like it's always the same 2-3 people who are the bottlenecks in these types of drafts.

I guarantee if you institute a penalty, the stragglers will somehow find a way to get their picks submitted in a timely manner.
4/23/2015 11:27 AM
Having never instituted any kind of penalty in a theme league like this, or been part of a league that has one, I really have no idea what would be a reasonable penalty for tardiness.  A payroll hit?  Losing an extra player?  Losing a keeper?  I'm open to suggestions.

Also, what constitutes tardiness worthy of penalty?  A few random thoughts:
  • Failure to submit initial five keepers within 36 hours of franchise draft completion.
  • Failure to submit next keeper within 36 hours of player draft round completion.
Totally spitballing here.  Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.  Whatever we decide here would likely be implemented NEXT season. 
4/23/2015 12:30 PM (edited)
Fernando Valenzuela, Dodgers
4/23/2015 12:59 PM
For the initial five keepers, I would go to the wait list and give the replacement the option to pick a different team, and of course his five initial keepers.

For the draft, maybe the person loses that keeper.

36 hours after the completion should be plenty of time.
4/23/2015 1:23 PM
Dang i wanted fernando. I will go w JR Richard hou
4/23/2015 1:52 PM
Orel Hershiser - LAD
4/23/2015 4:04 PM
Dodgers are off the board
4/23/2015 4:06 PM
Page one updated.
4/23/2015 4:12 PM
Timed schedule is set for tomorrow, and sitemailed it to all.
4/23/2015 6:38 PM
Posted by tjefferson on 4/23/2015 11:20:00 AM (view original):
I have no problem with replacing chronically late owners - we certainly have some - but if you're whining about someone waiting until they get home or to the next day before making a keeper selection you're just being a dick for no reason.
I am not whining about real life intruding but I do think that having an indefinite time period as the norm for making your basic selections isn't right. We have a timed draft to keep everything moving along. Why not have some sort of time period in which you need to make your initial keeper selections? Seems pretty straight forward to me. oh and my name is rick not dick. lol
4/23/2015 6:45 PM
Worked well for me last leg, let's go with it again:

Rico Petrocelli, Boston

4/23/2015 7:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...17 Next ▸
Rule V Leg #48 Draft Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.