Unlucky Sim? Or bad coaching on my part? Topic

Box Score 

Lost by 5 and 3 players on the other team rated 20,18,21 in PER combined for 4/4 shooting from 3.  As well as one of those guys being 12 ath 15 spd going 4/4 overall and 2/2 from deep.  My team also had 25 fouls, with an enourmous ath/spd advantage at every position and I'm running a man-man def.

My Team

3/30/2015 2:47 PM
Looks a bit unlucky to me. You played a -4 which might have played a part on their 3 point shooting but with their ratings there is no way you could have known that they would shoot that well.
3/30/2015 4:15 PM
Posted by timjmiller on 3/30/2015 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Looks a bit unlucky to me. You played a -4 which might have played a part on their 3 point shooting but with their ratings there is no way you could have known that they would shoot that well.
I mean there best perimeter rating is 58 and they shot 44%, it's not like I played a -4 with a bunch of high 60's or 70's which is reasonable this is just downright absurd to have a team shott 44% with their best player 58 in PER.  And it seems to be happening a lot to me, I guess I need to stop running -3,4,5's against these crappy sim teams as they still beat me.  And I still can't believe a 12 ath 15 spd C went 100% for the game against me..
3/30/2015 4:37 PM
I would have been doing the same thing...playing a big minus (I'd have gone -3, but nothing wrong with the -4 you had -- same principle) and begging them to shoot over the top of it all game. I was going to say there's no way that team approaches 7-for-16 in another game this season, but then I noticed they'd gone 5-for-10 just two nights earlier, which also makes no sense with those atrocious perimeter ratings, especially since it's a non superclass Sim team, so you can't even explain it away with huge IQ differentials or something. 

Mark it up as a head-scratcher, realize there's probably nothing you could have done against that particular set of random numbers and fight on. You've got a good team there. 
3/30/2015 4:43 PM
Prob a bit unlucky...I don't ever sink to -4, but that's just me.  I've gone HAM over a game that I didn't think I should have lost but have learned to accept these circumstances afterwards.  They've got a lot of JRs and SRs, they were at home, you arguably swung too much on the defensive positioning...NBD...GL going forward man, it's nice to see some new blood in the game :)
3/30/2015 9:19 PM
FWIW, here's a little of colonels19 showing his hand...not only do I look at PERs and LPs when I'm determining defensive positioning...I also look at the game log of my opponent to check their 3 point stats/percentages.
3/30/2015 9:21 PM
Wow!.....That's insightful!
3/30/2015 9:27 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 3/30/2015 9:21:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, here's a little of colonels19 showing his hand...not only do I look at PERs and LPs when I'm determining defensive positioning...I also look at the game log of my opponent to check their 3 point stats/percentages.
Colonels is right though.....this team shoots way to many 3's to go -4 (most sims do)......they took about 25% of their shots as 3FG's and have some capable shooters,  I would have gone -1 or -2......the two sucky guys just got lucky, that ain't your fault although they are less likely to take and hit if you aren't in a -4.
3/30/2015 9:50 PM
I learned something myself here, so thank you!  I have had my share of bad Sims over the years and I ALWAYS scratch my head.  Sometimes it amazes me how bad the guy or guys are that burn me!
3/31/2015 8:24 AM
Yeah I never go -4 or -5 unless I play zone. It just causes to many more fouls. Also SIM adjust throughout the game if you play a heavy minus or heavy plus. Against SIM I go from +2 to -2 no more.  If they don't shot a lot of 3's and you go -4 I've noticed they will shoot a ton of 3's. Same as +4 they will shoot a ton of 2 pointers
3/31/2015 10:49 AM
I stay in the +2/-2 range against sims but have no problem going -5 against humans if it is called for....I rarely go more than +3 though
3/31/2015 12:27 PM
Posted by scaturo on 3/31/2015 12:27:00 PM (view original):
I stay in the +2/-2 range against sims but have no problem going -5 against humans if it is called for....I rarely go more than +3 though
+1
3/31/2015 2:41 PM
i just have the most unlucky team 19 missed free throws and a missed game winning overtime dunk as time expires... this game hates me.
4/1/2015 3:16 AM
Oh, be fair about those free throws. You shot a ridiculous number of free throws and still shot above 65% from the line. Your guards even shot 40% from outside! Granted it was only 2/5 but those guys have very low perimeter ratings!

Those games suck to lose. All it takes is for one other thing to go right in that game and you win. Or at least that's how I think about those games afterwards. I lost in the NT against a team that went 13/13 from the line and the bench was 7/7 from the field. Lost by two on a last second shot. Some of the games are so much fun!
4/1/2015 5:29 AM
I've had a season where lost something Ike ten games by three or less, including 6 in overtime. Those do happen and you just ride with them and move on.
4/1/2015 5:49 AM
Unlucky Sim? Or bad coaching on my part? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.