Rookie Progression?!?! Topic

What is the optimal progression period for a high prospect rookie.

1 year at each level providing he does well? or 1/2 year per level? etc.

So at 1 year won't make the majors till his 6th year, 3 at half years?

If you bump too soon and they do bad, moving them back down the best option? or leave them till they get better?

Has any player ever went straight to Majors and done well?

just curious best way to mold my rookies, without missing their prime leaving them too long in minors.

Thanks!!!

3/24/2015 1:13 PM
Good players should be in the majors by their 4th/5th season.   You can move them up as you see fit but, if he's wasting away in the minors during his 6th season, he's obviously not that good.
3/24/2015 1:15 PM
Thanks Mike!
3/24/2015 2:29 PM
To expound a little further, I treat RL/LoA/HiA pretty much the same.    A player will start in one of those.   The next season, he'll be in HiA, at worst, or AA if I have earlier call-up plans for him.   The season after, AA or AAA.   And, finally, AAA or BL.    Some have largely skipped AAA if not completely skipped it.
3/24/2015 2:44 PM
What I was taught although I am still pretty much an intermediate at this game- Lets say you draft a solid player at age 20.

1st season (20yrs old) -  1/2 season Rookie league, 1/2 season Low A

2nd season (21 yrs old) - 1/2 season High A, 1/2 season AA

3rd season -(22 yrs old) - 1/2 season AAA, possible 2nd half MLB player call up depending on ratings, also depends if there is good playing time available at Majors.

4th season - (23 yrs old) - If he is not at MLB level wait for a rating jump while in AAA, if he is ready have a spot open for him on MLB opening day!

I wouldnt take this as a super strict plan but as a general idea, each player may require a little longer time or shorter time at any level.
3/25/2015 4:06 PM (edited)
I'm not so rigid on step-by-step promotions. If I draft or sign a player that I feel is a potential MLer, I will put him at the highest level in which he would be a starter. That is assuming the coaches get better as you go up in levels. For a high school draft pick, I usually will not start him higher than High A, but might promote him to AA before the end of the season if he will still be a starter at that level.
3/25/2015 4:27 PM (edited)
For better prospects I usually go from rookie/double a/triple a. I'd rather have them in the majors a tad earlier opposed to a tad late most of the time.

3/25/2015 8:17 PM
In that scenario, unless your better coach is in RL, you'd be better off starting him in LoA/HiA. 
3/26/2015 8:31 AM
just to lessen the jump between levels? 
3/27/2015 7:08 PM
Because the prospect would benefit from better coaches at Hi A compared to the coaches in RL
3/27/2015 7:12 PM
I never start anyone worthwhile at Rookie League. Thusly so I'm able to sign the worst coaches and save a few thousand bucks
3/28/2015 12:35 PM
That makes sense. For whatever reason I just have always started guys in rookie ball. Because of that I've made sure to get good coaches at that level. I never have anyone worthwhile at Low A and didn't start using High A much until recently. 
3/29/2015 12:59 AM
Rookie Progression?!?! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.