Who has the best chance to beat Kentucky? Topic

West Virginia could give UK some trouble if they can make it a ragged, ugly game.  In other words, a typical Bob Huggins coached team game.

Notre Dame, for as good as they are offensively, are just too small.  Wichita State, meh.

I think of the teams remaining, these teams would have the best chance.  Please note, I'm not saying necessarily that they "will" win, only that they would have the "best chance":

Arizona, Duke, Wisconsin, Louisville. 

Why Louisville?  Rivalry game and of the biggest proportions at that stage.

Arizona plays such good defense and rebounds so well that it's hard to see either team having anything resembling a comfortable margin throughout the entire game.

Wisconsin is Wisconsin, fundamentally sound, better offense than usual, not quite as good of a defense as usual.  Frank Kaminsky really would be the X factor in that game.  He's a nightmare matchup for your average big man.

Duke would have to win by outscoring Kentucky, but when they bring their A+ game, no one in the country scores as easily as they do.  Jahlil Okafor versus that UK front line would be, literally, epic.

The only other team that I think might have a realistic chance is Michigan State and that is simply because of Tom Izzo.  At this point, he needs to just legally change his name to Mr. March Madness.  When it comes down to the "one-and-you're done" aspect of the NCAA tournament, I don't believe that anyone is tougher to eliminate than he is.  I'm a huge Duke fan (and have zero love for the Spartans) and yes, that last statement includes Mike Krzyzewski.  If I needed a coach to win me one single NCAA tournament game, I think Tom Izzo is as good of a choice as anybody alive.

3/23/2015 7:18 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 3/22/2015 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Where is the NOBODY answer?
NOBODY..............is unbeatable.
3/23/2015 7:19 AM

It's the old adage.  Only Kentucky can beat Kentucky.

The opponent has to play Zone.  Play with a lot of heart, and  Kentucky has to have a really poor night shooting.

Kentucky does have periods of not being able to score, because I don't think they have a pure scorer on the team, but it rarely hurts them in the long run.  They have too many big, tall athletic players who can win with just their defense.
3/23/2015 12:14 PM
Next team up is WVU!  I would love to Coach Huggins to continue his success over their Coach!
3/23/2015 12:25 PM
I'm looking forward to what Huggins daughter - who is also a program assistant at WVu - will say about kentucky

http://kysportsconnection.com/bob-huggins-daughters-hurl-vile-insults-at-dez-wells-during-ncaa-tournament/

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/33851/20150323/bob-huggins-daughter-calls-maryland-player-a-rapist-on-twitter-photo.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/03/23/bob-hugginss-daughters-make-rape-jokes-about-marylands-dez-wells/
3/23/2015 2:59 PM
The path for Kentucky

UK - WVU : I think WVU will give a good game, play their heart out, but talent isn't high enough to upset Kentucky. They make it close in the first quarter, then Kentucky pulls away in the second.

UK - Notre Dame : The offense is there for Notre Dame, but that UK frontline just is too big. They wear down Notre Dame and win it rather easily.

Then it's the big game : Wisconsin or Arizona. This is where they lose.

3/23/2015 3:50 PM
Personally I think people are giving wisconsin a better chance than they actually have.  Besides Frank they have no size Hayes and Decker are both 6'8/6'9ish and Wisconsin doesn't have a "ton" of depth their starters all avg a ton of minutes.

Granted Wisconsin has a better chance than most teams, but I think they are being overestimated in what chances they have.

I think Arizona has the real best chance, Arizona has the NBA athleticism, size as well as experience to matchup against kentucky
3/23/2015 4:52 PM
40-0.  the train has left the station boys.
3/23/2015 5:22 PM
Can I vote for the NCAA? It may not be this season, but everywhere he's gone, his team has forfeited games due to rules violations. One more school and NCAA needs to ban him for awhile.
3/25/2015 2:32 AM
Posted by supersloth33 on 3/25/2015 2:32:00 AM (view original):
Can I vote for the NCAA? It may not be this season, but everywhere he's gone, his team has forfeited games due to rules violations. One more school and NCAA needs to ban him for awhile.
Matter of time it catches up to him again.

They may go 40-0 but this is not as great of run as most want to say it is. They played a weak schedule. Ooooo they beat a down Louisville and UNC. The SEC is a joke of a basketball conference. I'm tired of hearing they could beat NBA teams. Schedule some good college teams before you talk about beating NBA teams!!! This team isn't even a top 20 team all time
3/25/2015 11:56 AM
Posted by whitey34 on 3/25/2015 11:56:00 AM (view original):

They may go 40-0 but this is not as great of run as most want to say it is. They played a weak schedule. Ooooo they beat a down Louisville and UNC. The SEC is a joke of a basketball conference. I'm tired of hearing they could beat NBA teams. Schedule some good college teams before you talk about beating NBA teams!!! This team isn't even a top 20 team all time
in non conf kentucky played kansas, unc, louisville, ucla, and texas. can you even name 1 high end team with more big games on the non conf schedule? now their conference schedule, yeah... pretty weak. thats out of their hands though.

edit: hilarious, i see you are a duke fan, known for ridiculous easy non conf schedules. classic. 
3/25/2015 1:49 PM (edited)
And yet they've let Coach K and Duke win a title, and a runner-up finish, while using ineligible players.   No vacating of a title; no forfeiture of games, no loss of scholarships....nothing!

I'm not a Kentucky fan but the way the NCAA has looked the other way with Duke is galling
3/25/2015 2:02 PM
Zags FTW .... Ky loses before they get to them however.

3/25/2015 2:07 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/25/2015 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by whitey34 on 3/25/2015 11:56:00 AM (view original):

in non conf kentucky played kansas, unc, louisville, ucla, and texas. can you even name 1 high end team with more big games on the non conf schedule? now their conference schedule, yeah... pretty weak. thats out of their hands though.

edit: hilarious, i see you are a duke fan, known for ridiculous easy non conf schedules. classic. 
Sorry gillispie, Have to disagree with you here.  Texas is talented but suck!  UCLA horrible and shouldn't got into the field.  Louisville can't score.  UNC type 2 personality, can beat anyone and can lose to anyone. So Non-Conf schedule not as tough as you might think.  If nobody gives Gonzaga credit for beating UCLA than don't give Kentucky credit.  **** MD non-conf schedule was better than Kentucky's
3/25/2015 2:37 PM
yeah, some of those teams aren't really great that year, but year in year out, those are some scary names. games are scheduled in advance, not like you can cherry pick the top couple teams each year. maybe "name one big school with more big name games" was a stretch but its definitely not nearly the cupcake non conf many perennial elites favor. at the least its a respectable non conference, and probably more than that.

i just looked at maryland's non conf and have NO idea where you are coming from on that one... not that that is really the point.
3/25/2015 2:49 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...13 Next ▸
Who has the best chance to beat Kentucky? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.