I Formation vs. Pro Set Topic

Is there really any differences in these two sets in how to approach them game planning wise - speaking more as the offensive mind set than how to defend.

I'm running 2 teams (both Florida in different worlds) in I Form & they frankly don't score. I'm running Pro Set with 2 other teams (Navy & So Miss) and they light it up & finish in the top 10 WIS ranks annually even at lesser conferences.

I run the same exact plays, distributions in the playbook & settings (players) in the formation settings & practice times in the IQ's and get drastically different results so far. I thought these sets would be seemingly identical but maybe the subtle differences in where the WR's are or the FB placement etc really does mean something...i don't know but my results in IF suck.

Anyone have any insights?
3/3/2015 3:04 PM
Well....I run Pro Set at D2 in two different worlds.  Its a pass first (and sometimes pass only) approach, and I light it up pretty good, even with sub-par talent.  When defending, I've had more trouble defending the I-form vs the Pro Set.

While this may not help you, my thoughts have been that the I-Form was slightly more "potent" than the Pro Set (especially from a running perspective).  Your situation goes against what I thought.

In your situation, perhaps it is the "lesser conference" issue getting into the mix and making it seem like the Pro Set is more potent?
3/4/2015 6:20 AM
perhaps - but i beat USC this year with Navy and mcbeth (also USC) with southern miss in the rose bowl when we went 15-0 (as jmcgarry) and my OOC scheduling with those teams are top notch. I dont know, perhaps its just the young QB's i have at UF lol. really thats what makes an offense go. we are doing a little better today.
3/4/2015 12:18 PM
Well, there go all of my thoughts....I'll just go back to the corner!!!
3/4/2015 4:29 PM
I think that Pro-Formation works better, since I like to use the I-Formation.
3/4/2015 9:28 PM
Mix it up. Keep the opposition guessing. That's my philosophy. I don't know why people get so fixated on one woman.
3/4/2015 10:14 PM
http://tinyurl.com/onr2gm4
3/4/2015 10:19 PM
Agree with bj, but have had good success with the I formation, including a RB that set the all-time Hayes single-season rushing record for I-AA mainly out of the I.  I do recruit a fullback as a lead back, but I have a couple of different formations with the I that I use. One keeps the tight end in as a blocker and another releases him as a receiver and I run out of both formations.

But even saying that, I see a lot more people use Pro Set and seem to use it more effectively than the I.
3/5/2015 7:31 PM
I Formation vs. Pro Set Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.