Pitchers Hitting < 50 PA Topic

My understanding is that for pitchers who had fewer than 50 real-life plate appearances, the sim uses a standard historical pitchers hitting average to determine how those pitchers will do at the plate.  My question is, does anyone know what exact numbers the sim uses for this?  My guess is something along the lines of .150/.175/.200, but does anyone know for sure?

A quick Google search turned up this article, which cites the fact that pitchers hitting has steadily gotten worse over time.  I wonder if WhatIf adjusts the pitchers hitting numbers accordingly.  I'm guessing not:
www.sportsonearth.com/article/71693338/
3/2/2015 9:20 PM
I don't have an answer to your question, barracuda, but they for those pitchers with < 50 PA, they've said they add their numbers to their established norm.
3/3/2015 5:26 AM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 3/3/2015 5:26:00 AM (view original):
I don't have an answer to your question, barracuda, but they for those pitchers with < 50 PA, they've said they add their numbers to their established norm.
Really?  I did not know that.  Interesting.  So, in a very simple case, if the established norm is 8 for 50, and a pitcher went 4 for 10, his stats would be based on 12 for 60?

I kind of like that.  It's better than making every <50PA pitcher hit exactly the same, which is how I thought it worked.

Thanks!
3/4/2015 2:46 AM
I once used 2000 Esteban Yan in a low cap league.  He really sucked as a pitcher and ended up hitting about .200 with 3 home runs.  So ArlenWilliams statement sounds about right.

I was hoping he'd hit a home run in 100% of his at bats.  That would have been awesome.
3/4/2015 3:38 PM
Pitchers Hitting < 50 PA Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.