TOC Abuse? Using a Mop-Up to Blow-Up Opponent's PA Topic

Has anyone ever seen this?

The Tournament of Champions is strict from the start on fatigue. Let's suppose a team goes into it with a pitching staff that is  underrepresented in IP/162. The team makes it past one round but it includes a couple extra-inning games and the owner's staff is now significantly fatigued. He decides to take his cheap mop-up pitcher (say Billy Milligan 1904 with 27 IP/162) who is already fatigued down to 0% and start him in Game 1 of the next series, making all the moves that force him to pitch as much of the game as possible. That would do two things in that team's interest, one "good," but one really "bad."

Good:  It would help the rest of his pitching staff recover from fatigue.
Bad:  It would run up his opponent's PA's and potentially fatigue its fielders/hitters, potentially for the remainder of the series (and the TOC if it wins that round).

So, has anyone seen this done in a TOC?

Is there anything built in to stop it?
2/24/2015 3:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8o5fxnDUjs
2/24/2015 4:26 AM
I think the only 6 PA per game count for fatigue.
2/24/2015 11:10 AM
Yes, for hitters, any PA greater than 6 in a single game do not count for fatigue purposes.
2/24/2015 11:18 AM
A-HA!!!  (As you see, I'm not all that experienced in getting very far in TOC's.)   ;-` 

And thank you, IP for the sentiments (said of course in my manly way).

Prithee, is there any similar capping of pitcher's fatiguing?

Edit: Thanks, Skunk!

2/24/2015 8:26 PM (edited)
Unfortunately, there's no similar cap to pitcher fatigue
2/24/2015 12:40 PM
I have used a mop-up guy to start the first two games of a TOC...my progressive teams vs. the cookie-stacked Addie Josses of the world. I get so tired of facing those teams that since I know I'm going to lose anyway, I met as well push up the fatigue for the hitters...given that many of these teams also are light on plate appearances.

I would love to see a separate TOC for Progressives...heck, I would like to see any signs of life from WIS on SLB.

2/25/2015 1:44 AM
I have intentionally blown games in the TOC so I could start better rested starters.  However, I doubt using a fatigued starter at 0% would do much in a TOC except wear down your own bullpen.
3/3/2015 1:10 AM
TOC Abuse? Using a Mop-Up to Blow-Up Opponent's PA Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.