Most under-rated pitcher in baseball today? Topic

Is it just me thinking this? 

Nothing to take away from Kershaw, Verlander, Hernandez, Harvey, Wainwright etc. all of whom deserve the praise they receive. 

But Johnny Cueto has for some years seemed to me to be right up there in the elite and to not get quite the same notice or respect. 

Granted, I live overseas and miss some things, especially in contemporary baseball and often am catching up a season or so late on things: the opposite of the damned in Dante's Inferno who could see the future but not the present or past, so as time moved on they would see less and less and eventually nothing as an eternal punishment (obligatory Italian culture and literature reference). 

Here are Cueto's numbers:  (lifetime WHIP of 1.17 in 6 seasons and almost 200 games pitched)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28955/johnny-cueto

Here is one list from 2013 that did not even list him among the top 11 starters:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1661589-mlbs-best-starting-pitchers-ranking-the-top-10/page/1

2/22/2015 6:24 AM
Chris Sale?
Jose Quintana?

Both elite and young
2/22/2015 11:19 PM
How about Anibal Sanchez, been unreal for the Tigers
2/23/2015 1:38 AM
Jordan Zimmerman is now reaching his peak, he's been good for 4 years but last year was his first season where he started striking guys out......that's usually a good sign.
2/23/2015 6:49 AM

Lance Lynn?  Not quite up to Zimmerman's or Sales' level but pretty good none-the-less.

2/23/2015 5:48 PM
Posted by italyprof on 2/22/2015 6:24:00 AM (view original):

Nothing to take away from Kershaw, Verlander, Hernandez, Harvey, Wainwright etc. all of whom deserve the praise they receive. 

But Johnny Cueto has for some years seemed to me to be right up there in the elite and to not get quite the same notice or respect. 

Granted, I live overseas and miss some things, especially in contemporary baseball and often am catching up a season or so late on things: the opposite of the damned in Dante's Inferno who could see the future but not the present or past, so as time moved on they would see less and less and eventually nothing as an eternal punishment (obligatory Italian culture and literature reference). 

Here are Cueto's numbers:  (lifetime WHIP of 1.17 in 6 seasons and almost 200 games pitched)

Here is one list from 2013 that did not even list him among the top 11 starters:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1661589-mlbs-best-starting-pitchers-ranking-the-top-10/page/1

You read it here first folks ! 

Though I am technically rooting for the Mets (since if I don't pretty much everyone I know will kill me - Mets fans have no sense of humor - ask Willie Randolph), and though I would not count them out because....1969 and 1986 (very weird ways to win World Series), a great historic baseball city, and even a nice town like Kansas City winning a Series would not be an entirely unwelcome thing (I write safely 7,000 miles from all my friends who would as aforementioned kill me for writing this). KC fans were at the forefront of the demand for a more equitable distribution of baseball resources in the 1990s, rightly so. 

Still it ain't over.

But remember: italyprof, right about Cueto, right about Greinke v. Guidry, right about capitalism. ..

ADDENDUM:

In the interest of fair play and transparency, I feel that I am obligated however to post this box score from just this morning in which Greinke kicked the *** of one of my theme league teams 3-2. Though he only went 6.2 IP and needed bullpen help (Guidry woulda gone the distance against us !):

https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=25485585&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95

So I stand by my Guidry over Greinke position, consider my view of Cueto confirmed by events, and point out that no new evidence suggesting that capitalism is very nice has come to light recently. 
10/29/2015 6:07 AM (edited)
Posted by d_rock97 on 2/23/2015 1:38:00 AM (view original):
With a 4.99/1.28/.252 in 2015 you might want to reconsider this statement
10/29/2015 8:37 AM
Posted by rback on 10/29/2015 8:37:00 AM (view original):
With a 4.99/1.28/.252 in 2015 you might want to reconsider this statement
I posted that in February
10/30/2015 1:19 AM
Posted by italyprof on 10/29/2015 6:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by italyprof on 2/22/2015 6:24:00 AM (view original):

You read it here first folks ! 

Though I am technically rooting for the Mets (since if I don't pretty much everyone I know will kill me - Mets fans have no sense of humor - ask Willie Randolph), and though I would not count them out because....1969 and 1986 (very weird ways to win World Series), a great historic baseball city, and even a nice town like Kansas City winning a Series would not be an entirely unwelcome thing (I write safely 7,000 miles from all my friends who would as aforementioned kill me for writing this). KC fans were at the forefront of the demand for a more equitable distribution of baseball resources in the 1990s, rightly so. 

Still it ain't over.

But remember: italyprof, right about Cueto, right about Greinke v. Guidry, right about capitalism. ..

ADDENDUM:

In the interest of fair play and transparency, I feel that I am obligated however to post this box score from just this morning in which Greinke kicked the *** of one of my theme league teams 3-2. Though he only went 6.2 IP and needed bullpen help (Guidry woulda gone the distance against us !):

https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=25485585&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95

So I stand by my Guidry over Greinke position, consider my view of Cueto confirmed by events, and point out that no new evidence suggesting that capitalism is very nice has come to light recently. 
What? !! I comment on the World Series, capitalism and Greinke all in one post and no one takes me on for a fight? I can't provoke anyone on this site anymore. I miss boogerlips. 
10/30/2015 7:12 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
and that's coming from a guy with 'debater' in his nom de plume
10/30/2015 12:23 PM
I get the joke, unreal for his $18m meaning "unreally" unreliable and unhealthy.
10/30/2015 1:12 PM
sigh. I miss boogerlips. Where the heck is he, anyway?
10/30/2015 1:21 PM
He accidentally swallowed the boogers.  He's gonna be out for a while.
10/30/2015 2:10 PM
Posted by redwingscup on 10/30/2015 1:12:00 PM (view original):
I get the joke, unreal for his $18m meaning "unreally" unreliable and unhealthy.
That was back in February. He had a really good 2013 and 2014 season
10/30/2015 2:21 PM
12 Next ▸
Most under-rated pitcher in baseball today? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.