Draft Strategies Topic

$60m.

Picking 3rd wasn't much of a handicap, only a few of the players I wanted were taken. Probably because I wanted a lot of part timers and that's not a popular strategy. I just assumed Gary Carter would be gone and didn't check for him, though I'm happy with Brad Inge at this cap. I got my favorite low cap SS Mark McLemore. at 2B I'm trying Johnny Evers in a new for me year because his performance history shows a + play every 5 games. Aaron Ledesma's 300pa are needed to back both of them up. at 3B I chose a moneysaver in Ossie Vitt, 660 pa for $2.6m and he won't be too awful at this cap. at OF/1B I went with mostly fulltimers simply because I'm running out of roster spots after using 13 of them on pitchers. using $/pa as my main guide I wasn't finding much difference between the top prospects and could have selected any of a number of players. ended up with Enos Slaughter, Shawn Green, Bruce Campbell, and Larry Biitner. My 3 remaining bench players are among my cheapest hitters based on $/pa, ironically they are my top 3 hitters when sorted by OPS. Hinske, Mouton and Leyritz. My 5500pa are probably among the highest in the league. Planning to play slightly fatigued is popular at low caps but no matter how many times I crunch numbers I never come to the conclusion that this is the best play.

Drafting pitchers was based mainly on $/ip and total innings without trying to fill roles. As a result I have 8 pitchers in the 60-100 inning range and only one over 200ip. Since most of them are deadballers there are a lot of SP who can start as needed. Yes, my pitching is stuck in the deadball era again even though deadballers aren't as essential at low caps. I still think they are priced better and I like not having to worry about home runs. Greg Maddux is my only modern era pitcher and I was glad the 74ip version was still available here. This was a picthing team at first, then I gradually cut the pitchers pay until they were down to $29m. Rankin Johnson was my best pitcher until I switched him from NL to AL version with the same stats for half a million less. Rube Eberhardt is the only pitcher left with salary over $2500/ip.

$80m All Star game 1987

I saved this one for last because it looked like a tedious process. There are a few shortcuts but for the most part the draft involves selecting full teams from various years and then comparing them to see which is best. We can't build the best team for $80m, not even close, so it's all about finding the best value for the money. too many years to consider so I only looked at years with a few obvious names and playing in a pitchers ballpark. most of my attention went to the 1980s. I tried 2001 but pitching didn't quite work, then I gave up on the modern era. I tried 1934 and I was rooting for this team since it was more interesting, but ultimately not as good. I tried 1969 and 1970, pitching was a little better but speed and defense weren't in the same league. It all came down to a tossup between 1986 and 1987. team stats were virtually identical, not surprising since they had a lot of the same players. I studied the differences and noted that '86 had a better 3rd SP while '87 had better closers. That settled it, 1987 it is.

Orel Hershiser is the Ace. #2 is Mike Scott but not in his best year I settled for the more economical 2nd best. completing the rotation with the overrated Jack Morris and the mediocre Rick Reuschel. Long relief consists of SPs in low inning seasons, Saberhagen Langston and El Sid. Closing out with Henke Howell Franco and Plesac. Carter is the obvious catcher. I stubbornly insisted on Raines even though at $6M he proved to be an albatross making roster construction difficult. made up for it with cheap years from Wade Boggs and Willie Randolph. under $5M years from Keith Hernandez, Ozzie Smith and Rickey Henderson. final OF slot is a platoon of Harold Baines and Eric Davis. Tony Gwynn and Hubie Brooks provide some cheap stamina off the bench.

$90m Real team

This theme wasn't as complex as some of the other puzzle themes. I did my first draft in one sitting and then kept the nucleus of the team intact as I swapped the minor players in and out for a month. Seemed like the weak hitter should be a catcher, I never considered anything else. also a good place to save money so I chose Brian Downing for a mere $3 mil. HoJo seems like a good choice here because there are no deadball pitcher to suppress HR and because he qualifies for the theme in 3 categories. I ended up using him for Steals. Ben Zobrist is value priced at 2b, qualifying with 100 whiffs.

That's it for the easy picks, now I have to think. Ralph Kiner was another nicely priced hitter, and his 700+ pa were helpful with stamina. He qualifies for HR or Walks. I took the homers and used Rusty Staub for Walks. The 2 golden glovers were hard to draft because they were all overpriced. I looked for players with a huge amount of + plays because they are not charged extra for anything beyond a normal A+. Tommie Agee patrols Centerfield. I didn't know wether my A/A infielder should be 1b or 3b. the first basemen are better but that position is so much easier to fill anyway. I tried both and settled on Machado at 3rd, partly because of his high pa. That completes my theme requirements for hitters, throw in Roy Cullenbine at 1b platooning with a couple bench players.

I went with a strong rotation of Sutton Tudor Brown and Norris. If you're wondering why I kept talking about value priced hitters it's so I could pay these guys. And it's not my normal style to go all out for SP, I normally like a strong and deep bullpen. That's just what the theme calls for when I can't use converted SPs in the pen. Francisco Cordero is my 35 save guy but he won't be closing he's more of a middle reliever.

$100m Charlie Hickman

Stuck in the deadball era again. I briefly looked at modern teams and couldn't scrounge up enough good pitching. First search was for players who were teammates of 2 or more big pitchers. I looked at the Cubs big pitching years but nobody spanned enough useful years. Giants stars were too spread out. checked out White Sox 1910-17 but overlooked Gandil, all I found was Jim Scott. Though it would be fun to build a team around an $800k mopup I found someone I liked better. While looking at '08 Addie Joss team I saw sitting at the end of the bench Charlie Hickman who I remember from the big '02 Blues team including Bill Bernhard. Hickman played with some good hitters, and with Kid Nichols and Earl Moore also on board I'll surely get enough innings.

Teams from the turn of the century typically have bad defense but not so here. In the infield Hickman, Jimmy Collins and Nap Lajoie all have excellent range, though George Davis at SS could be a bit of a problem. In the OF it's hard to turn down Billy Hamilton and his .480 obp. Selbach and Van Haltren complete the outfield. Ossie Schreckengost is an adequate catcher, though finding a backup for him was a challenge. Roster construction was for this theme was awkward and I'm left with 5 superfluous bench layers.

2013-14 AL draft

What a mess. There was an insane run on SP in the early rounds. When that happens I don't participate, instead I build a team based on hitting and a big bullpen. I draft several top hitters, lots of good RP, then draft good part time hitters while everyone else is catching up with somewhat weaker fulltimers. Fill in with leftover SP late in the draft. That was my drafting strategy here. It didn't work out so well because I miscalculated how deep the SPs would be drafted. I grabbed as many RP innings as I could, then got stuck with 3 horrible SP. If I survive into the 5th inning I can win some games. And this is an excellent playoff team if I ever make it that far.

I also tanked Shortstop because the 12th ranked SS wasn't that bad. That plan backfired when several people took 2 shortstops. When there's no salary cap there's no limit to your bench players. So what went right? I got one of the top hitters at each of several positions, good defense, a strong DH platoon, 400 innings of setup/closer quality pitching, and a good spot starter I can throw in key matchups. It's hard to predict how this team will do.

2-4-8 draft

An interesting and frustrating draft. Luck could play a major factor in this draft since it's so hard to predict what will be available. I tried to stay flexible, leaving myself multiple options and backup plans. In trying to cover every possibility I may have ended up with a shortage of true impact players. and I didn't expect the salary cap to sneak up on me so fast. This doesn't look like a $110m team, I think they would lose to a $100m open team.

I traded down from the #4 spot because I incorrectly thought lower positions were better. at #4 I probably would've taken schwarze's 1906, though I was nervous about the Cubs surviving until late 2nd round. at #10 I took the best year remaining for deadball pitchers, 1910. I was hoping to get the White Sox and either the A's or Senators. We know what happened to Walter Johnson. I was able to get the other two franchises.

Ed Walsh is my Ace followed by Chief Bender with Frank Smith helping out and Eddie Collins at 2B. Jack Coombs was available in case I needed lots of innings. after much agitation I went with Coombs rather than a coalition of relievers. Next I took 2001 with a big Giambi year, Eric Chavez at a troublesome 3b slot, Foulke in the pen, and there were quite a few borderline players I could use if needed. In the end I needed Magglio Ordonez and 5 bench players. Actually 2001 wasn't my first choice, I took it now because I thought it was less likely to be available next round. This plan backfired when 1935 and 37 were claimed. I considered 1933 but it broke the bank. So I took 1990 with Rickey Henderson, Fisk the best available C outside of the 30s, a part time Frank Thomas sharing DH with my entire bench, McGee a cheapish OF, and several RP I could use. No urgent need remained so I used the last pick to improve the team wherever I could. I chose several years and drafted mock rosters. while I was agonizing over which was best most of them got claimed, making my choice easier. 1951 Eddie Joost was a nice improvement at SS.
11/25/2014 6:21 PM

60M – Almost Picked Last
Safeco Field

It’s been well documented that I’m not particularly fond of low-cap leagues.  I’ve had uneven results in low cap leagues in past tournaments.  Because you sort of have to use all 25 players, playing a 60M cap league can be a managerial headache.  Anyway, before the draft, I had built my entire offense.  Even though I know the smart owners will draft A+ catcher arms, I still want as much speed as I can get.  Since I assumed players like Coleman and Raines would be gone, I went with a bunch of platoons with extremely high SB/SBOPP.  The only two non-SB hitters I had on my original team was G.Carter and Boggs, and sure enough, they both got taken in Round 1.  I ended up having to make a few changes to the offense to get things to work, but I kept most of my high SB guys.  I am a little light in PA.  Here is the roster:

C: Gene Tenace  (.367 obp, 26 HRs, A+ arm)
1B: Ferris Fain  (.415 obp)
2B: Davey Lopes & Julio Cruz (96/112 SBs)
3B: Ken Oberkfell  (.373 obp)
SS: Ryan Theriot  (28/32 SB)
OF: Dave Collins & Michael Bourn  (78/93 SBs)
OF: Gary Redus & Miguel Dilone  (75/88 SBs)
OF: Raja Davis & Otis Nixon  (95/113 SBs)
UT:  Bobby Valentine  (.405 obp)

F
or pitching, I have 1280 total innings with no true mop-up guys.  My four SPs (’03 Siever, ’15 Fisher, ‘06 Maddox, ’06 Wang) total 989 innings.  My eight bullpen guys are mostly low-inning SPs (i.e., 25-45 IP) with whips in the 1.05 to 1.15 range.  I will have to actively manage the bullpen as these pitchers will fatigue quickly.  I may have to ride my SPs a little more than I normally do.  Playing in Safeco should help.

Hitting Stats: 5229 PA, .260 avg, .356 obp, .368 slug, 380 SBs @ 84.8%, $30.95M
Pitching Stats:  1280 IPs, 2.88 era, .257 oav, 1.17 whip, 0.42 hr/9, $29.03 M

80M – Nineteen Eighty-eight
Riverfront Stadium

I knew I wanted a team in the 1980’s so I could get my favorite cookie-cutter speed guys.  I chose 1988 although I did briefly look at the other seasons in the mid-to-late 1980’s as well.  I like my starting pitching staff of ’85 Hershiser, ’92 Clemens, ’86 Gooden and ’81 Knepper.    The bullpen of D.Jones, Plesac, J.Russell, Worrell and Cone is a downgrade from the starting staff.  Sadly, I couldn’t fit in Eckersley.    The offense was initially very strong, but due to lack of PA, I had to downgrade Brett & Molitor to Mattingly and Reynolds.  Here is the starting lineup:

C:  Gary Carter (.360 obp, A+ arm)
1B: Don Mattingly  (.303 avg, .351 obp, .477 slug)
2B: Harold Reynolds  (.283 avg, .340 obp)
3B: Wade Boggs  (.330 avg, .430 obp)
SS: Ozzie Smith  (.380 obp, 35/44 SBs)
OF: Rickey Henderson (.305 avg, .394 obp, 93/106 SBs)
OF: Vince Coleman  (.363 obp, 109/131 SBs)
OF: Bobby Bonilla  (.363 obp, .487 slug, 26 HRs)

H
itting Stats (excl <300K guys): 5385 PA, .295 avg, .373 obp, .418 slug, 237 SBs @ 84.3%, $37.1M
Pitching Stats (excl. <300K guys):  1312 IPs, 2.45 era, .219 oav, 1.08 whip, 0.41 hr/9, $41.3 M

90M – Three Studs & a Dud
Braves Field

I kind of put this team together haphazardly.  I didn’t have a specific strategy other than to get lots of switch hitters.  I started with the hardest categories to fill, the A+ range OF and the A/A infielder.  I originally had Bill North as my A+ OF but changed to Willie McGee (not really sure why).   I went with Ozzie Smith at SS because I like his .367 obp and his 43 SBs at 83%.  The next category to fill was HRs.   Hmmm… switch hitter, good OBP… bingo!  Ken Singleton.  Thought about Chipper but knew Boggs would be on my roster (100 walks).  Zobrist is a great value 2B and filled the 100 K’s category.   That left three positions and two categories (speed and .270/.360/.450 hitter).  I still needed C, 1B and OF.   Raines is the obvious choice for speed.  I decided 1B would be easier to find good platoon options.  Needed the A+ arm and Wynegar was a perfect fit and was relatively inexpensive.    My 1B platoon is K.Hernandez (.424 obp) and David Segui (.406 obp).  Barbarie (.353, .435, .515) will get some ABs at 2B and SS and be the primary pinch hitter.

For pitching, I wanted to set myself up for the playoffs, so I went with three stud SP’s and one cheap guy who tends to overperform for his salary… My starters are ’64 Drysdale (0.96 whip), ‘97 Maddux (0.95) and ’96 K.Brown (0.94).  My cheap SP is ’06 Chien-Ming Wang.   Ironically, in my first four games, my three studs all lost but Wang won – so typical.  I spent $46M on offense and $34M on SP, which left about $10M for relievers.  As a result, my bullpen is weak.  I took six sub $2M guys, most with whips in the 1.10-1.14 range.  This team will be frustrating to watch as I expect to blow a lot of leads late. 

Hitting Stats (excl <300K guys): 5544 PA, .308 avg, .397 obp, .451 slug, 144 SBs @ 84.2%, $45.3M
Pitching Stats:  1388 IPs, 2.47 era, .233 oav, 1.06 whip, 0.39 hr/9, $43.9 M

No Cap - $79M Worth of Crap
PNC Park

I wish I would have had some kind of game plan going into the draft, but I basically  just reacted to what others were doing.  My one goal was to pick early every round, so I made an effort to keep my salary down.  This started with passing up Madison Bumgarner in the first round and instead taking Tanner Roark.  I got three decent SPs early (Roark, Zimmerman, Hamels).  My SP4 (Nolasco) and SP5 (Stults) are probably above average compared to other team’s SP4 and SP5.  The bullpen is solid with Neshek (0.79 whip), Siegrest (0.88), Peavy (1.04), Storen (0.98) as my top 4 guys.   I don’t have the best pitching in the league, but we’re above average in most of the key categories (whip, hr/9, k/bb ratio). 

The offense is pretty mediocre.  My best hitters are Posey (.311, .364, .490), Beltran (.296, .339, .491) and Belt (.289, .360, .481).  That’s not very exciting.   Most of my hitters have an OBP of .340 or better, just not a lot of power.  Only two teams have fewer total HRs than my team.  At least I make up for it by being slow too.  We’re ranked 10th of 12 NL teams in SBs.  I would be thrilled if we could finish with a .500 record.  At least we’re in the division with the lowest salary.

Hitting Stats:  5880 PA, .284 avg, .349 obp, .439 slug, $41.9M
Pitching Stats:  1381 IPs, 2.80 era, .240 oav, 1.13 whip, 0.62 hr/9, $37.5 M

$100M - Cy Falkenberg’s Emery Ball
League Park II

I will admit that I didn’t look at any other players besides Falkenberg.  I knew I wanted a player to link to 1908 Addie Joss, and once I discovered Falkenberg, I liked the team enough to quit looking.  There are a number of different reasonable permutations with Falkenberg.  I went with more of a “stars and scrubs” philosophy.  I have four hitters over $7M (Lajoie .384, .445, .514; Wagner .355, .414, .518; Kauff .370, .447, .534 and J.Jackson .373, .460, .551), one player at $5M (McKechnie .304, .368, .377) and no other hitters over $3.5M.

My pitching staff is led by ’08 Joss, ’08 W.Johnson (0.96 whip) and ’11 V.Gregg (1.05 whip).  Long relievers / spot starters include ’05 B.Wolfe (196 ip, 1.09 whip) and ’10 C.Young (175 ip, 1.08 whip).  My other relievers are H.Wiltse (0.94), Falkenberg (0.90) and L.Wright (1.00).  I like this team the best.

Hitting Stats (excl <300K players):  5465 PA, .330 avg, .395 obp, .454 slug, $52.8M
Pitching Stats (excl <300K players):  1393 IPs, 1.85 era, .216 oav, 0.97 whip, 0.05 hr/9, $45.5 M

$110M – Chicago Indians 06-23-84-08
League Park II

I picked 1906 over 1909 because I figured I could get the St. Louis Browns / Baltimore Orioles late as my second franchise to go along with the Cubs.  1906 Barney Pelty (0.95 whip) fit real nicely with Brown, Pfiester and Reulbach.    While scouting for various seasons, I stumbled upon 2014 as a fantastic year for Orioles & Cubs relievers so that was going to be my third round pick. 

I completely changed strategies as my third round pick approached.  I realized that I was going to get stuck with too many right-handed hitting power hitters if I didn't jump in and take one of those last few remaining years from the 1920's.   I soon realized that 1922 was a perfect fit.  I could get my starting SS (Hollocher .340 avg, B/B), my catcher (O'Farrell .429 OBP A+ arm), a stud K.Williams (.332, .402, .620) and even G.Sisler (.420) if I had the salary cap room.  But 1922 went 2 picks in front me by ybjsports (Cubs/Pirates).  I decided to take 1923 (over 2014).  Hollocher was only a half-season player, O'Farrell was still good at C, Ken Williams was still a stud, but 1923 also had some really good Indians hitters (Speaker .380, Sewell .353, Jamieson .345) and the Indians had only been taken once. 

If 2014 had come back to me in round 4, I'd probably take them and stick with the Browns/Orioles strategy.  But dougpalm unexpectedly took 2014 (for the Phillies relievers).  I knew bardin would take Cleveland, but I was pretty certain nobody else in front me would and I was right.   Realizing I could use 1906 Joss (to replace Pelty) and also add a really strong 1906 Nap Lajoie, I figured the Indians would be a good fit (plus it would deny the Indians to anybody else).

It didn't take long for me to realize how hard it would be to fill in a bullpen and find enough cheap players, making me regret not taking 2014.  I also discovered that I was spending too much salary and needed to cut corners somewhere.  2007 was the perfect remedy for that.  There were lots of 200K scrubs available, plus Rafael Betancourt's stud RP year.  Also R.Perez (0.92 whip) and C.Marmol if needed.  WaitNSee (Indians/Tigers) snatched 2007 early in round 5 and I was scrambling again.  2008 was an o.k. alternative.  No stud RPs but some acceptable ones plus I found the other half of my DH platoon (Shin-Soo Choo .309, .397, .549).  I'm using Sewell 50% at SS and 50% at DH (with Hollocher as a part-time SS).

In order to get enough IPs and enough PAs at catcher, I had to dump O'Farrell and regrettably the stud '06 Nap Lajoie.  Now I have a platoon at C with J.Kling (.312) and N.Clarke (.359).  I had to downgrade Lajoie to ‘84 MVP Ryne Sandberg at 2B - the only reason I selected that season with my last pick.

Here is my lineup
C: 1906 Johnny Kling (.312, .357, .420, B/A/A-, 400 PA)
C: 1906 Nig Clarke (.358, .404, 486, 207 PA)
1B: 1906 Frank Chance (.319, .419, .430, A/B)
2B: 1984 Ryne Sandberg (.314, .367, .520, A/B+)
3B: 1906 Harry Steinfeldt (.327, .395, .430, B/D+)
SS: 1923 Joe Sewell (.353, .456, .479, D+/C+) --> will play DH 50%
SS: 1923 Charlie Hollocher (.342, .410, 423, B/B, 315 PA)
OF: 1923 Tris Speaker (.380, .469, .610, B/C+)
OF: 1906 Jimmy Sheckard (.262, .349, .353, A-/B)
OF: 1906 Elmer Flick (.311, .372, .441, B/C+)
DH: 2008 Shin-Soo Choo (.309, .397, .549, 370 PA)

Pitching
1906 Addie Joss (299 IP, 1.72 ERA, .218 OAV, 0.93 WHIP, 0.10 HR/9)
1906 Mordecai Brown (296 IP, 1.04 ERA, .202 OAV, 0.93 WHIP, 0.03 HR/9)
1906 Jack Pfiester (268 IP, 1.51 ERA, .194 OAV, 0.94 WHIP, 0.11 HR/9)
1906 Ed Reulbach  (233 IP, 1.65 ERA, .175 OAV, 1.01 WHIP, 0.08 HR/9)
1906 Jack Taylor  (158 IP, 1.83 ERA, .223 OAV, 1.05 WHIP, 0.06 HR/9)
2008 Rich Harden (71 IP, 1.77 ERA, .157 OAV, 0.97 WHIP, 0.76 HR/9)
2008 Craig Breslow  (47 IP, 1.91 ERA, .202 OAV, 1.13 WHIP, 0.19 HR/9)
2008 Kerry Wood  (66 IP, 3.26 ERA, .219 OAV, 1.09 WHIP 0.41 HR/9)

Hitting Stats (excl <300K players):  6261 PA, .324 avg, .401 obp, .470 slug, $60.8M

Pitching Stats (excl <300K players):  1463 IPs, 1.68 era, .201 oav, 0.98 whip, 0.14 hr/9, $48.1 M

11/28/2014 10:04 AM (edited)
Nobody else wants to share?
12/1/2014 9:44 AM
Posted by schwarze on 12/1/2014 9:44:00 AM (view original):
I finally got over my embarrassment and tried to post it last night, only to get blocked by some kind of error I had never seen before on here. I'll try to post it again tonight. If anything, it should at least be a guide of what not to do.
12/1/2014 12:19 PM
Posted by rickysdad44 on 12/1/2014 12:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by schwarze on 12/1/2014 9:44:00 AM (view original):
I finally got over my embarrassment and tried to post it last night, only to get blocked by some kind of error I had never seen before on here. I'll try to post it again tonight. If anything, it should at least be a guide of what not to do.
Has anyone gotten this message before? I get it every time I try to copy from Word and paste.

A problem has occurred while trying to process your message. If this is the first time you have received this message, simply try again. If you continue to receive this message, please verify that you are not using any unordinary characters in your message. If you continue to have trouble, please contact customer support.
12/2/2014 4:39 AM

60m:

87W-75L at Comerica Park

1. Owner draft:

My plan was to build a speed team with an A+ arm catcher. So I wanted my division mates to use different strategies. Then I did a little research on how people built their teams in round 1 70m leagues. Based on my data, crystalao and alleyviper were likely to choose OBP/OPS players and average arm catchers. That is why I selected them. I selected rbow923 because I believed he was going to take OBP/OPS guys and left speed guys such as Vince Coleman to me. The result shows the strategy worked.

2. Position players:

Most position players I wanted were available then. Here is my roster:

(Player -> Reasons to pick)

Joe Morgan '69 (L) -> PAs & speed & steals & obp

Vince Coleman '86 (S) -> PAs & speed & steals

Otis Nixon '97 (S) -> PAs & speed & steals

Bip Roberts '92 (S) -> speed & obp & AVG

Gary Carter '75 (R) -> A+ arm & OPS

Ron LeFlore '80 (R) -> speed & steals

Ozzie Smith '90 (S) -> speed & steals

Jack Doyle '95 (R) -> relatively fast & A+ range & AVG

3. Pitching:

My original goal was to draft ~1400 Innings. Then I figured out innings are really expensive in low cap leagues. So I decided to go with ~1350 innings, and eventually got 1333 innings --- 978 innings from 4 SPs, 201 innings from 4 RPs, and 144 innings (wanted ~200) from mopups. Unfortunately, 1333 innings were not enough for this team. All the pitchers fatigued quickly and stayed at about 60%~90% in early season (due to extra innings and some high pitch count games). So I was forced to blow some games and got my SPs and RPs rested. Since then I have maintained my SPs at about 80%~95% and my RPs at 90%~100%. The strategy worked and the team went into the LCS. The team was then stopped by jmissirlis’ team which won the world series later.

Hitting Stats: 5337 PAs, .264 avg, .342 obp, .354 slg, 440 SBs @ 77.6%, $29.58M

Pitching Stats: 1333 IPs, 2.36 era, .250 oav, 1.15 whip, 0.18 hr/9, $30.41 M

-------------------------------------------------

80m:

109W-53L at Riverfront Stadium

1. Position players:

I have tried 1981, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1992, and 2007 all-star teams. Then I figured out the 1988 team got the most cookies (Coleman, McGee, Ozzie Smith, Dawson, Gary Carter, Boggs, Rickey Henderson, Eckersley, ….). The problem is, there are four OF cookies in 1988 and I can only have three. They are Coleman, McGee, Dawson, and Rickey Henderson. I took Coleman and McGee first because they are switch hitters. I decided to take Dawson ’90 instead of Rickey Henderson ’88 for two reasons. First, Dawson ’90 can hit a lot of homeruns at Riverfront Stadium. Second, Dawson ‘90 is cheaper. Here is my roster:

(Player -> Reasons to pick)

Vince Coleman '87 (S) CF -> PA & speed & steals & OBP & cheap

Ozzie Smith '87 (S) SS -> PA & speed & steals & AVG & OBP & defense

Harold Reynolds '89 (S) 2B -> PA & speed & AVG & defense

Willie McGee '90 (S) RF -> speed & AVG & range

Andre Dawson '90 (R) LF -> HR & AVG & steals & cheap

Gerald Perry '88 (L) 1B -> speed & AVG

Wade Boggs '96 (L) 3B -> AVG & OBP & cheap

Gary Carter '75 (R) C -> A+ arm & SLG

Bobby Bonilla '98 (S) PH -> AVG & SLG

Darryl Strawberry '95 (L) PH -> AVG & SLG

2. Pitching:

I picked Dwight Gooden '86, Orel Hershiser '88, Bob Knepper '81, and Roger Clemens '92 as my starters (997 innings), and they won 82 games for me. I picked Dan Plesac '03, Doug Jones '88, Jeff Russell '89, and Dennis Eckersley '88 as my major RPs (264 innings). Finally I picked cheap RPs to eat innings - Bob Forsch '88, Dave Rucker '88, Donnie Moore '88, and Todd Worrell '93. The team was doing great (109 wins) and made the LCS. But it was then defeated by contrarian23’s team which won the world series later. 

Hitting Stats: 5571 PAs, .295 avg, .360 obp, .399 slg, 259 SBs @ 76.6%, $38.91M

Pitching Stats: 1390 IPs, 2.67 era, .228 oav, 1.10 whip, 0.52 hr/9, $40.96 M

-------------------------------------------------
90m:

86W-76L at Royals Stadium

1. Position players:

I usually draft 12 pitchers, of which 1~3 are mopups to eat innings. But in this theme I can only have 11 pitchers. So I decided to allocate more money to pitching, and less money to position players. My budget for position players (including bench) was $42M. The following is my roster:

(pick order: player, type -> reason to pick)

1: Richie Ashburn '59 (L), 270/.360/.450 hitter -> PA & speed & OBP & A- range & cheap

2: Asdrubal Cabrera '09, inf with A/A def -> considered Ozzie Smith and Asdrubal Cabrera. Chose Cabrera eventually.

3. Howard Johnson '89, 35+ HRs -> speed & steals & OPS & cheap

4. Willie McGee '90, OF w/ A+ range -> speed & AVG & cheap

5. Bip Roberts '92, 40+ SBs -> speed & steals & AVG & OBP & cheap

6. Kevin Young '99, 100+ K -> PA & relatively fast & A range & SLG

7. Lance Berkman '04, 100+ BB -> PA & AVG & OPS (chosen over Bobby Abreu)

8. Johnny Roseboro '64, $500K+ -> A+ arm & AVG

9. Dave Anderson '90, $500K+ -> AVG & backup inf

10. Micah Hoffpauir '08, $500K+ -> AVG & backup of

2. Pitching:

I decided to draft ~1000 quality innings for starters; ~250 high-quality innings for setup and close; ~150 mediocre innings for long relief. The team made the world series. Here is my roster:

(pick order: player, type -> reason to pick)

1: John Tudor '85 (L), sp1 -> IP & ERC#

2: Harry Brecheen '48 (L), sp2 -> IP & ERC#

3: Kevin Brown '96 (R), sp3 -> IP & ERC#

4: Bob Knepper '81 (L), sp4 -> IP & cheap

5: Barry Latman '58 (R), 11- saves rp -> my favorite cookie

6: Cla Meredith '06 (R), 11- saves rp -> my favorite cookie

7: Bill Henry '64 (L), 11- saves rp -> ERC#

8: Mariano Rivera '10 (R), 30+ saves rp -> ERC#

9: Marshall Bridges '60 (L), 11- saves rp -> ERC#

10: Jamie Moyer '96 (L), 11- saves rp -> cheap & IP & IP/G

11: Darrell Jackson '79 (L), 11- saves rp -> cheap & IP & IP/G

Hitting Stats: 5602 PAs, .297 avg, .374 obp, .442 slg, 178 SBs @ 71.2%, $42.73M

Pitching Stats: 1367 IPs, 2.07 era, .218 oav, 1.01 whip, 0.38 hr/9, $47.20 M

-------------------------------------------
2013-14 AL/NL Draft, No Cap:

94W-68L at Busch Stadium (II)

I was the last one to draft players in round 1. My original plan was to select an ace (Kershaw, Cueto, Harvey, Fernandez, Wainwright, Bumgarner…) but all aces were gone at that time. I didn’t want to waste my first pick on a #2 pitcher. So I decided to fill position holes first, and tried to build a team with good defense and speed. Most quality pitchers had gone when I began to draft pitching. Therefore the team has very weak pitching.     

The team is not as good as the record (94W-68L) indicates. The team won 94 games because the starter Yovani Gallardo ’14 ($3.8M) pitched like a Cy Young winner before the trade deadline (17W-3L & 2.5 era). However, everything came back to normal after the deadline. Well, I mean lose, lose and lose! Fortunately, Mike Fiers tossed a no-no at the last game. The team made the playoffs because of the game. The game changed the winner of the 2015 WIS championship as well.

My roster is here:

(pick order, player -> reason to pick)

1 Yadier Molina '13 (R) -> A+ arm & ops

2 Matt Carpenter '13 (L) -> avg & obp

3 Denard Span '14 (L) -> speed & steals & defense & avg

4 Everth Cabrera '13 (S) -> speed & steals & defense

5 Angel Pagan '14 (S) -> speed & defense & avg

6 Nolan Arenado '14 (R) -> defense & slg

7 Adrian Gonzalez '14 (L) -> slg

8 Scott Feldman '13 (R) -> IP

9 Billy Hamilton '14 (S) -> speed & defense

10 Mike Fiers '14 (R) -> #ERC & IP/G & closer

11 Shelby Miller '13 (R) -> IP

12 Yovani Gallardo '14 (R) -> IP

13 Tyler Clippard '14 (R) -> #ERC & setup

14 J.P. Howell '13 (L) -> #ERC & setup

15 Hector Rondon '14 (R) -> #ERC & setup

16 Tom Koehler '14 (R) Wade Miley '13 (L) -> IP

17 Carl Crawford '14 (L) Chris Owings '14 (R) -> bench

18 Wil Nieves '13 (R) Brandon Cumpton '13 (R) -> bench & setup

19 Jerome Williams '14 (R) Blaine Boyer '14 (R) -> setup & long relief

20 Pedro Alvarez '13 (L) Jorge De La Rosa '14 (L) -> bench & IP & to get into NL East for no reason

Hitting Stats: 6034 PAs, .285 avg, .337 obp, .437 slg, 182 SBs @ 74.6%, $50.41M

Pitching Stats: 1518.7 IPs, 3.34 era, .236 oav, 1.20 whip, 0.84 hr/9, $36.78 M

1/28/2015 2:24 PM (edited)

100m One Key Player & Teammates:

88W-74L at West Side Grounds

I had tried several key players, including Hickman, Zimmerman, Joss, Falkenberg, Hofman, Gandil, Jimmy Slagle .... Then I rated and analyzed these teams as the follows (some data are missing):

1. Zim: A starters, A+ bullpen, B+ offense, B+ defense -> overall A-

2. Gan: A+ starters, B+ bullpen, B offense, A- defense -> overall B+~A-

3. Hof: A starters, B+ bullpen, A+ offense, A- defense -> overall A- ~A

4. Hic: A- starters, B+ bullpen, A+ offense, B defense -> overall A-

5. Fal: A- starters, B+ bullpen, A offense, B defense -> overall B+~A-

Based on the analytical result I chose Solly Hofman’s team in the beginning. Then I changed my mind and chose Zimmerman’s team instead because I love strong bullpen. The Zim’s team made the LCS. It was then defeated by rbow923’s team (Hickman’s team) which won the world series later. Here is my roster:

Lineup

Johnny Evers '12 (L) 2B*

Benny Kauff '17 (L) CF*

Frank Schulte '11 (L) LF*

Heinie Zimmerman '12 (R) 3B*

Cy Williams '16 (L) RF*

Vic Saier '13 (L) 1B*

Johnny Kling '08 (R) C *

Joe Tinker '12 (R) SS*

BENCH

Roger Bresnahan '14 (R) C *

Bob Fisher '14 (R) SS*

Jay Kirke '18 (L) 1B*

Alex McCarthy '15 (R) 2B*

Jimmy Smith '17 (S) 2B*

Jim Thorpe '19 (R) RF*

Rotation

Orval Overall '09 (R)

Mordecai Brown '08 (R)

Ed Reulbach '09 (R)

BULLPEN

Earl Moore '13 (R)

Fred Toney '18 (R)

Orlie Weaver '10 (R)

Rube Kroh '10 (L)

Charlie Smith '11 (R)

Ferdie Schupp '16 (L)

Phil Douglas '15 (R)

Art Nehf '19 (L)

Hitting Stats: 5922 PAs, .302 avg, .372 obp, .436 slg, 210 SBs @ 45.5%, $49.14M

Pitching Stats: 1459 IPs, 1.68 era, .203 oav, 0.96 whip, 0.08 hr/9, $50.83 M

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

110m 2-4-8 Draft

79W-83L at League Park (II)

Round 1 pick: 1903 -> wanted to get several decent deadball pitchers and position players at a time. Then I found 1903 Indians got what I needed.

Plan before Round 2 pick -> wanted Indians, Braves, 1921 (position players), 1968/1995/1994 (starters), 2012 (bullpen)

Round 2 pick: Indians 

Plan before Round 3 pick -> unchanged

Round 3 pick: 1921

Plan before Round 4 pick -> 1994, 1995, and 1968 were gone. Then I came up with a backup plan: Tigers, 2007 (bullpen and position players), and 1946 (starter Hal Newhouser).

Round 4 pick: Tigers

Plan before Round 5 pick -> unchanged

Round 5 pick: 2007

Plan before Round 6 pick -> 1946 was gone. I was forced to choose Bill Donovan ’03 to replace Hal Newhouser ’46. Then I decided to take 1954, hoping to add bullpen depth.

Round 6 pick: 1954

To conclude, I had made more than one mistakes during the draft. The team didn’t make the playoffs. In retrospect I shouldn’t have selected 1921 in round 2; the team could win 5-10 more games if I got 1946.

Lesson learned: a starting pitcher year is more valuable in this kind of theme.

Hitting Stats: 6204 PAs, .342 avg, .401 obp, .517 slg, 107 SBs @ 51.4%, $59.77M
Pitching stats: 1510 IP, 2.17era, .218 oav, 1.04 whip, 0.17 hr/9 $50.19M

1/30/2015 1:20 AM (edited)
Excellent writeup WaitNSee.  Obviously, you put a lot of time and effort into building your teams.  I love the fact that you scouted the other owners tendencies in the round 1 $70M theme, prior to the Owner draft.  It paid off.
1/29/2015 12:27 PM
Draft Strategies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.