The mystery of Paul Hayes Topic

I mean, from 480ish to 802 as a junior after he got redshirted. Anyone got a recruit who did as well? DII.
11/22/2014 6:58 PM
Might want to include a link. Can't find this guy on any of your teams.
11/22/2014 10:24 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2766848

It's a Coachvegas player. I stumbled onto that incredible player while studying the 3pts lineups he was talking about.
11/23/2014 9:42 AM
Yeah, he's about done as a Junior but who cares. I'll get to play him at his max for his whole senior year. He has been our team leader since he was a Soph. He has been leading our conference in scoring all year. I love him!
11/23/2014 10:19 AM
I just had a player graduate as a 4 year senior at DII, ending overall of 871
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?&pid=2812673
11/23/2014 2:22 PM
I've got this guy on my D2 Kentucky Wesleyan team in Wooden. He was in ineligible his first season so he's still got the second half of this year and all of the next. He also still has SIX categories with average potential left (I guess seven if you want to count his Work Ethic).

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2781913
11/23/2014 3:06 PM (edited)
Posted by zorzii on 11/23/2014 9:42:00 AM (view original):

It's a Coachvegas player. I stumbled onto that incredible player while studying the 3pts lineups he was talking about.
I wouldn't call him an incredible DII player. Perhaps an incredible DIII player, but he's not even the best player on that team. You're cheating yourself if you're looking at overall rating to evaluate a player's ability. This particular player has spectacular work ethic, durability, and stamina so his rating is inflated. Don't get me wrong, he's perhaps one of the top 10-15 juniors in the country, but for high-level DII, he's a below average defensive player.
11/23/2014 3:47 PM
car, not sure what your recruit and are looking at in cores but he's 96 reb, 100 lp, 93 sb. He's a center with 52 spd, 60 ath, 95 stamina and he can handle and pass some. Your focusing on a 61 d! Give me a break. I'd take him  at D2 anytime on any team in any world. And he is my best player on this team. Which is a FB/P team.
11/23/2014 4:56 PM
Best D2 guard I've had (on paper) was Jeremy Lee, but he only capped out at 765
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?tid=14131&pid=2805181
11/23/2014 5:03 PM
Yeah your guard was incredible Tarv! Did he bring a NT to your name? (Smile)
11/23/2014 5:10 PM
Lost in the title game, unfortunately. 
11/23/2014 5:33 PM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 11/23/2014 4:56:00 PM (view original):
car, not sure what your recruit and are looking at in cores but he's 96 reb, 100 lp, 93 sb. He's a center with 52 spd, 60 ath, 95 stamina and he can handle and pass some. Your focusing on a 61 d! Give me a break. I'd take him  at D2 anytime on any team in any world. And he is my best player on this team. Which is a FB/P team.
Yeah, he isn't an elite defender but I don't think he is below average......his offense certainly makes up for his so-so defense.
11/23/2014 7:08 PM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 11/23/2014 4:56:00 PM (view original):
That guy, obviously contrary to some opinions, is a badass D2 player. Any D2 coach who says that they'd pass this guy up because his Def is "only" at 61 is either (a) trying to be contradictory just to get an argument started, or (b) clueless. He could very easily be the focal point of a team that's capable of winning the NC. Very easily. Oh, and he is FAR from being a "below-average" defender at high level D2 play.

If I were a D2 coach, I would take that guy in a heartbeat, wouldn't think twice about it, and would be glad as hell he was on MY team.

Some people on here act like players like this are a dime a dozen, that you can find them at the end of recruiting just sitting there undecided. The fact is, these type guys are program changers. Get just one and you've got a chane to do some damage in the NT in D2. Get two and you've got a more than decent chance to be playing in the Final Four. Get more than that and you better be winning a title. Everybody always wants to point out the faults of these players when the fact is that these players are just nasty for D2/D3 (really, there should never be a player like that that slips to a D3 team. In fact, a low level D1 team probably should have scooped him up, truth be told). With the right gameplanning, they can be virtually unstoppable and you don't have to have "maxed out" ratings in every category to have them play like that.

Once again, in case it got lost in all that rambling above, ANY D2 coach who says that they wouldn't recruit the player in question (Coachvegas' player), for whatever reason, is either lying just to get an argument started or is clueless. Period.
11/23/2014 7:41 PM (edited)
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 11/23/2014 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 11/23/2014 9:42:00 AM (view original):

I wouldn't call him an incredible DII player. Perhaps an incredible DIII player, but he's not even the best player on that team. You're cheating yourself if you're looking at overall rating to evaluate a player's ability. This particular player has spectacular work ethic, durability, and stamina so his rating is inflated. Don't get me wrong, he's perhaps one of the top 10-15 juniors in the country, but for high-level DII, he's a below average defensive player.
It's comical really. Using your own criteria of subtracting for WE, Stam, and Dur since it inflates ratings and gives people a false sense of how good a player is, I did the same thing with your Princeton roster.

Funny, the guy who you said would be "perhaps an incredible DIII player" has a higher remaining total than everyone currently on your roster, save one player. THAT'S YOUR D1 ROSTER! Perhaps, his player isn't as bad as you seem to want him to be, or perhaps you're aiming far too low with your own recruiting?
11/23/2014 7:31 PM
I mean, sure, that guy is good but wouldn't you rather have that guy with an 80 ath and 80 defense to go along with all his other ratings? What a disappointment that guy is so close.

I've only won one championship and it was at the DII level. Both starting bigs had athleticism in the 60s and rebounding in the 90s and defense in the high 60s or low 70s. So, yeah, that guy will do just fine

So silly
11/23/2014 7:46 PM
123 Next ▸
The mystery of Paul Hayes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.