Where are the HBD players? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2014 12:15:00 PM (view original):
No, it really isn't.  

In order to play HBD, you have to know how to work a computer.  If you want something, maybe even if it doesn't exist, you can plug it into a search engine.  Presto!  You can get it or find that such a thing doesn't exist.    For instance, I want baby rhino eggs.    Guess what?  They don't exist.   But Wal-Mart, Target and ebay have some sort of related item.   A baby rhino was in the Bronx Zoo in November 2013 and there is a such a thing as Rhinoceros Iguana that actually does lay eggs.

It's silly to think someone seeking a simulated baseball game can't find this site in a matter of seconds or that someone who wants to play a simulated baseball game will be swayed into coming to this site by an ad saying "Hardball Dynasty.  You're in charge!!!"
Your assuming people want something and don't know it exists. What I and several others are saying is it wouldn't even cross the mind of a lot of people and some of those people might think it's the coolest thing ever IF they were to find out about it.

Remember Carl from Slingblade. The guy thought mustard and biscuits was the best thing in the world to eat. Then one day he tried "french fried taters", cause the place didn't have mustard and biscuits. Later he discovered potted meat and couldn't get over how great it was. 

Carl is NEVER gonna imagine Filet Mignon and Lobster no matter how much he may enjoy both once he was introduced to them.
11/23/2014 6:48 PM
Your use of a mentally-challenged person to make your point is a bit confusing but OK.  

I'll go a little deeper into what I believe to remove confusion.   FOX should advertise WifS.   They have unlimited resources to do so, therefore, it's silly not to do it.  But my point is that this is a very limited market.   I assume everyone here knows 20 people well enough to "talk HBD" with them.   More than likely, everyone here has played fantasy sports.    Anyway, to my point, when I found WifS, I told EVERYONE about it.  I was in three fantasy leagues, played softball for 2-3 teams and, if I had friends that weren't in my leagues or on my teams, I told them over beer. My guess is I talked WifS with 50+ people.   No one joined.   Several looked at it and the responses varied from "Looks dumb" to "Seems nerdy" to "Too time consuming" to "So you can't win money?", etc, etc. 

My guess is everyone on this site has told more than a couple of people.   People who have similar interests.    I wonder how many people have joined via "word of mouth"?    I'm thinking not that many.  Otherwise, people in worlds that a slow to fill, would be bringing in their friends.   It's not happening.

It's just a limited market.   You can show me ads for shamwow all day.   Won't matter.  I don't want one.   But, if I did, I'd plug it into a search engine to see if it existed.
11/23/2014 7:30 PM
Soooooo.....decided to look a little deeper.    Usually when someone has trouble with his world filling, we get one of these threads.    The thread creator is in LEG.  Rolled on 11/15 wih 7 openings.    Not surprisingly, they had an owner disappear on 9/30.   Did they replace him?  Nope.   If your commish is negligent, don't be shocked when your world goes to ****.   The commish:  Thunderclese. 

A lesson to n00bs:
Avoid worlds that don't replace missing owners.  
11/23/2014 9:11 PM
The OP is also commish of Negro League.   Rolled 11/13.   Missing owner since 10/4.  Not quite as bad but, if you want a quick roll, find a damn replacement.

He's also in Happy Jack.  14 openings.   
11/23/2014 9:17 PM
Yet, somehow, it's someone else's fault.
11/23/2014 9:18 PM
Even better, the sinofan created a recruitment thread for Negro Leagues on 11/19.   SIX DAYS after the world rolled.   I can't even find one for LEG.

The band leaders for "More advertising" don't even advertise their worlds.    In a free forum. 
11/23/2014 9:29 PM
No, it really isn't.  

In order to play HBD, you have to know how to work a computer.  If you want something, maybe even if it doesn't exist, you can plug it into a search engine.  Presto!  You can get it or find that such a thing doesn't exist.    For instance, I want baby rhino eggs.    Guess what?  They don't exist.   But Wal-Mart, Target and ebay have some sort of related item.   A baby rhino was in the Bronx Zoo in November 2013 and there is a such a thing as Rhinoceros Iguana that actually does lay eggs.

It's silly to think someone seeking a simulated baseball game can't find this site in a matter of seconds or that someone who wants to play a simulated baseball game will be swayed into coming to this site by an ad saying "Hardball Dynasty.  You're in charge!!!"

Not everyone knows this exists. Odds are, it would have a draw to an older crowd. That crowd especially might not know this sort of thing exists. I don't rightly care whether you're saying they should advertise or not. But you saying "if people want to play sim sports they would be playing sim sports" is quite possibly the most ignorant statement I have ever read.
11/23/2014 9:56 PM
Supply and Demand.  Market is flooded, demand decreases.  Eliminate every world that has not filled in 30 days.  Advertising would help, but would not solve the baseline problem.
11/23/2014 9:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2014 7:30:00 PM (view original):
Your use of a mentally-challenged person to make your point is a bit confusing but OK.  

I'll go a little deeper into what I believe to remove confusion.   FOX should advertise WifS.   They have unlimited resources to do so, therefore, it's silly not to do it.  But my point is that this is a very limited market.   I assume everyone here knows 20 people well enough to "talk HBD" with them.   More than likely, everyone here has played fantasy sports.    Anyway, to my point, when I found WifS, I told EVERYONE about it.  I was in three fantasy leagues, played softball for 2-3 teams and, if I had friends that weren't in my leagues or on my teams, I told them over beer. My guess is I talked WifS with 50+ people.   No one joined.   Several looked at it and the responses varied from "Looks dumb" to "Seems nerdy" to "Too time consuming" to "So you can't win money?", etc, etc. 

My guess is everyone on this site has told more than a couple of people.   People who have similar interests.    I wonder how many people have joined via "word of mouth"?    I'm thinking not that many.  Otherwise, people in worlds that a slow to fill, would be bringing in their friends.   It's not happening.

It's just a limited market.   You can show me ads for shamwow all day.   Won't matter.  I don't want one.   But, if I did, I'd plug it into a search engine to see if it existed.
uh, great argument. You only know a sham wow exists because of advertising.
11/23/2014 10:00 PM

“A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.” – Henry Ford

11/23/2014 11:45 PM
Posted by frankum on 11/23/2014 9:56:00 PM (view original):
No, it really isn't.  

Not everyone knows this exists. Odds are, it would have a draw to an older crowd. That crowd especially might not know this sort of thing exists. I don't rightly care whether you're saying they should advertise or not. But you saying "if people want to play sim sports they would be playing sim sports" is quite possibly the most ignorant statement I have ever read.
Are you saying people, older people in particular, don't know about sims?

That is the most ignorant statement I've ever read.
11/24/2014 7:10 AM
Posted by frankum on 11/23/2014 10:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2014 7:30:00 PM (view original):

uh, great argument. You only know a sham wow exists because of advertising.
Uh, your ignorance is showing again.    One wouldn't search "shamwow", one would search "cleaning towel".
11/24/2014 7:12 AM
Posted by Thunderclese on 11/23/2014 11:45:00 PM (view original):

“A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.” – Henry Ford

Sez the guy who isn't advertising his world he's trying to fill. 
11/24/2014 7:12 AM
A few "sim" games old people have never heard of:

Earl Weaver Baseball - 1987
Simcity - 1989
Baseball Mogul - 1997

I won't even bother to bring up the "Strat-o-matic" series of games that started in the 60s.  Or the fact that military simulations have probably taken place since the Dark Ages.   

It's borderline ludicrous to think people don't know sports simulation games exist. 
11/24/2014 8:13 AM
Nonetheless, here's what should happen today:

Everyone screaming "ADVERTISING!!!!" should tell everyone they know, with similar interests in sports or fantasy games, about WifS.   Hell, since it's believed that people would love this game if they only knew about it, you should offer to buy them lunch and beer if they don't stick around past the first season.   Then, after you've got these hundreds of people to sign up, come back and tell me how wrong I am.   

I'd love to hear it. 
11/24/2014 8:15 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Where are the HBD players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.