Posted by jc1796 on 11/15/2014 12:09:00 PM (view original):

I was thinking about ways to keep GD interesting - and thought maybe there could be some cool challenges outside of trying to win your conference and a NC.  People could sign up for a challenge and then post their progress.  It would be a "game within the game".

Here are a couple I thought up.  I'd love to hear some other examples.  If enough people are up for it, we could devote a thread to each one and pin it so people could sign up...
  • Win a bowl game coaching Hawaii with a roster 100% full of islanders.

• In D3 (or D2) challenge a D1A SIM team to an exhibition game and win.

• The 100 point club..

You get the idea.  Any others?  

In D3 (or D2) challenge a D1A SIM team to an exhibition game and win

My D2 team took down a D1AA team and two D1 teams this past exhibition. Granted the D1 teams weren't BCS but they were D1.
11/21/2014 12:31 PM
This is a good thread and something I think about a lot. I actually think the game would be a lot better if it officially tracked some of this stuff. We probably all have had our eye on a school or two where the challenge of succeeding is much tougher than elsewhere. This isn't often the case at the lower levels, but it's definitely the case in D1. 

Here are somethings that could be tracked:

1) First coach to win a title at a particular school in all worlds.
2) All-time greatest coach at a particular school (across all worlds)
3) Biggest / quickest turnaround.

In the good old days when D3 was 90%-100% full, I liked turning around teams that were abandoned by coaches that purchased 5 or 10 seasons and then left. I don't know if this is still the case, but those teams frequently didn't have a practice plan in place, so the players would bleed attributes over time. I took over a U-Chicago team that had many players with overall ratings under 200, and if I remember correctly, 1 or 2 players that were in the double digits. I remember the senior QB had thrown over 200 INT's and 0 TD's.
11/21/2014 3:42 PM
I came up with my own challenge to help maintain my interest at Boston College/Bryant. I am attempting to schedule, and defeat, every team in Division IA. Trying to balance this goal with maintaining a decent SOS is actually quite a juggling act. I have also found that the human coaches of quite a few of the teams I "need" to play don't seem to purchase seasons ahead of time, so they don't show up on the scheduling page.
11/22/2014 5:37 AM
How about a huge comeback. It seems either both teams are about even and the scores pretty close throughout or its a blow out. There seems to be very few big come from behinds (25+ points). No Dennis greens saying they are who we thought they were.
11/22/2014 5:25 PM
Posted by spcbuzzard on 11/22/2014 5:25:00 PM (view original):
How about a huge comeback. It seems either both teams are about even and the scores pretty close throughout or its a blow out. There seems to be very few big come from behinds (25+ points). No Dennis greens saying they are who we thought they were.
Now THAT is a good idea. To get the bar set, I'll start with a game in Warner D1AA this season where a 20-0 half time finished as a 20-24 result. So the starting figure is 20. There is bound to be much higher than that so it should be easy for anyone to add a higher difference as and when it happens
11/23/2014 2:20 AM
I am going to go through this thread and summarize the challenge ideas, and then perhaps do a vote on the ones we like best.
11/23/2014 11:16 AM
Posted by kev959 on 11/21/2014 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jc1796 on 11/15/2014 12:09:00 PM (view original):

I was thinking about ways to keep GD interesting - and thought maybe there could be some cool challenges outside of trying to win your conference and a NC.  People could sign up for a challenge and then post their progress.  It would be a "game within the game".

Here are a couple I thought up.  I'd love to hear some other examples.  If enough people are up for it, we could devote a thread to each one and pin it so people could sign up...
  • Win a bowl game coaching Hawaii with a roster 100% full of islanders.

• In D3 (or D2) challenge a D1A SIM team to an exhibition game and win.

• The 100 point club..

You get the idea.  Any others?  

In D3 (or D2) challenge a D1A SIM team to an exhibition game and win

My D2 team took down a D1AA team and two D1 teams this past exhibition. Granted the D1 teams weren't BCS but they were D1.
I hesitated to post in this thread, because I'm not into brag posts. But, with my Central Oklahoma team (Hayes) I have scheduled all of my exhibition games against D1A sims for 4-5 seasons now. Generally, the non-BCS teams are beatable, but it hasn't happened against BCS schools. Until today:

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=5100294

It's a sim, and it's a pretty crappy roster for a BCS school, but still, it IS a win with a DII team against a BCS school.
12/20/2014 2:33 PM
Helgi - that is very impressive!  Just for fun I went to GUESS and looked at your average GUESS player rating and Illinios'.  You have a kick *** team in D2 (#1 GUESS) with a 64.23 rating.  Illinios was ranked #77 in GUESS with a 68.38 average.  Given you are a great coach, I think I am not as surprised as I initially was.  A great D2 team might catch a bad D1A team every now and then.  But you did destroy them, not just beat them.  Very cool.
12/20/2014 3:03 PM
Yeah... I have had a good run at UCO. I never intended to stay (I've driven through Oklahoma before, but have no attachment to the school, region, etc). But, I just haven't been able to bring myself to leave.

I hadn't looked at the D1A GUESS reports. Given how bad Illinois is, I'm not sure it counts... Oh well. Will have to keep trying.
12/20/2014 3:31 PM
Here's a challenge idea:
mfnmyers coaches St. Olaf in eight different worlds. He has won more than 3,300 games with an .801 percentage, 166 conference titles and 15 national championships. The challenge is to take Carleton College, which is in the same town (Northfield, MN), in one of those worlds and end St. Olaf's dominance.
12/20/2014 9:03 PM
How about field a CC winning team with one player from each of the 50 states on the roster.
12/24/2014 9:25 AM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.