What is the lowes per ratings you let take 3's? Topic

I generally have everyone at -2 until they hit 80+ per and decent speed, but not sure if that is too high?

For example what about someone with 88 speed and 79 perimeter, I was thinking of trying -1 and hope for around 35%?

Anyone care to share how they work 3 point distro?

10/24/2014 9:01 PM
what division? what position?
10/24/2014 9:09 PM
I go -1 if they are over 40, 0 if they are around 50-60, +1 if they are like 60-80 and +2 if they are above that, but if they are also good at LP, I will make it lower. I'll be interested in what others say.

10/24/2014 10:36 PM
Unless you're playing D1 that is way to high........There are lots of good threads on this......Listen to emy's advice,in it;  it is the best
10/24/2014 11:34 PM
This is for D3 and mainly PG/SG/SF, and does potential have any effect for example would a 65 perimeter blue shoot better than 65 perimeter black if they have similar spd/bh?  

Chapel at over 40-60 are they able to shoot at a respectable percentage?  I've never tried more than one game generally on accident with anyone below 75 shooting -2 and when I did have them anything higher most never even made 1 shot.
10/25/2014 1:02 AM
any thank you trenton for showing those threads!
10/25/2014 1:02 AM
I don't necessarily look @ the per attribute specifically but more as part of the equation for a per shooter.
i think the per rating is probably close to half of the equation but also ath, speed, bh and IQ is factored into it as well imo.
I had a guy once that had 85 per but his ath was bad (around 47 i think), speed was in the mid 60s, bh was like 48 and he was worse than a guy with 65 per but better ath/spd/bh ratings (all were in the 80s except ath and it was low 70s).  Granted I didnt have either setup for +1 but just wanted to make a point..  Usually if a guy is 75+ in my "formula" i will make them a +1 and in extremely rare cases a +2 depending on how high they rank.  My brother and I share info (formulas) and he has a guy right now that is 76ath/82spd/99per/95bh and he has him at a +1 as he ranked 89 with our little formula and he shot 38% (56 of 148) last season from 3.  He has debated on making him a +2 just to see how he performs but hasn't pulled the trigger yet to my knowledge. 

10/25/2014 1:12 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 10/24/2014 9:01:00 PM (view original):
I generally have everyone at -2 until they hit 80+ per and decent speed, but not sure if that is too high?

For example what about someone with 88 speed and 79 perimeter, I was thinking of trying -1 and hope for around 35%?

88 speed and 79 PER, assuming decent BH, can easily be an 16+ PPG scorer on good %s primarily from 3 in any offensive system.  I wouldn't put that guy at any less than 0 under any circumstances.

I'm sure there's actually an exception, maybe if I have an absurdly good 3-point shooting team.  But it's a stretch.

10/25/2014 1:50 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/25/2014 1:50:00 AM (view original):

88 speed and 79 PER, assuming decent BH, can easily be an 16+ PPG scorer on good %s primarily from 3 in any offensive system.  I wouldn't put that guy at any less than 0 under any circumstances.

I'm sure there's actually an exception, maybe if I have an absurdly good 3-point shooting team.  But it's a stretch.

55 bh so I had him at -2 for most of the season as spd/per were still increasing and not where they are now and -1 towards the end of the season so a 7/20 from deep is limited sample size, so I'm thinking the bh is going to negate the spd/per, but I am going to try him out at 0 to start the season and keep here there unless he drops under 35% from deep then I'll rethink it.
10/25/2014 3:09 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 10/25/2014 3:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/25/2014 1:50:00 AM (view original):

55 bh so I had him at -2 for most of the season as spd/per were still increasing and not where they are now and -1 towards the end of the season so a 7/20 from deep is limited sample size, so I'm thinking the bh is going to negate the spd/per, but I am going to try him out at 0 to start the season and keep here there unless he drops under 35% from deep then I'll rethink it.
I would set him at 0 and give him more distro than Hause. Better speed/ath and good LP for a guards means he could be a very efficient scorer.
10/25/2014 10:17 AM
Not to go too far off topic but what is the guys free throw shooting like. If he is a bad free throw shooter I would definitely increase his threes, but if he is a very good free throw shooter I would tend to let him make up that point from the charity stripe. Okay that's not true, I've never had a very good free throw shooter
10/25/2014 10:24 AM
House is a C ft shooter while Jones is a C+

I actually had Hause have a super high distro setting I think 28 last season and he shot pretty well considering how much of the offense he was, but I do plan on having Jones have a much higher distro setting, but I'm not sure if I will have him higher than Hause, especially since Jones doesn't have "great" bh skills for a PG and can sometimes turn the ball over a lot.
10/25/2014 2:48 PM
I'm not going to give away details too finely, but I'd have fairly similar distros for Jones, Hause, and Murphy.
10/25/2014 3:01 PM
3pt shooting is the most misunderstood and underutilized weapon in HD. That being said, I am an aggressive attack coach based on 20 years RL experience and my utiliziation of the "3" in HD, I know what works for me. The short answer is that type of high PE, low distro will cost you 4-5 games a year. At least that's what it gives me a year. I love to beat teams with high ratings on paper but who in fact defend their own 3pt shooting by underutilzing it.

Only, let me put it another perspective. A 50% big is a potential All Conference performer and most coaches would be happy to have one. Yet a lot of coaches are reluctant to let a 33% 3pt shooter shoot. They produce the same amount of points on the same amount of shots. Now let's take that a step further. 35% from 3 = 53% 2, 37%= 56% and 40%=60%. 33% is good, 40% is unbelievable!

If we play a game and everything else is virtually equal, your formula will provide you with 3-4 made 3's a game for 9-12 points. I'm going to shoot about 23-25 3's and my average over all seasons in HD is  between 37-38%. If i shoot 25 @ 37% = 9.25 shots made or a little over 27 points. I have outscored yet by 15-18 points JUST by a more aggressive approach to 3's. I win decisively soley because I utilized the 3 better than you. I can't give you my formula because I don't want coaches getting more aggressive. It happens to be one of my big advantages. I will say generally my 50 PE guys start shooting 3's at 0. There are adjustments from there depending on their %.

I hope this different point of view gives you something to think about in formulating you coaching style. Best of luck in the future.

5 3 shooter
10/26/2014 2:02 PM
Who you are playing is a huge component as well.  The skills of the defenders and type of defense should play a huge roll in your +/- setting.
10/26/2014 6:52 PM
123 Next ▸
What is the lowes per ratings you let take 3's? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.