What is the lowes per ratings you let take 3's? Topic

another thing you can do jay, is play a lot of 3-2 zone...that way your small forward AND your other guard's defensive ratings can help "boost" Deberry, since those 3 players will be working as a "unit"...
10/30/2014 6:56 PM
Posted by andrew5975 on 10/30/2014 6:56:00 PM (view original):
another thing you can do jay, is play a lot of 3-2 zone...that way your small forward AND your other guard's defensive ratings can help "boost" Deberry, since those 3 players will be working as a "unit"...
I will definitely try!! Thanks for the tip!
10/31/2014 2:08 AM
Thanks Coachvegas, nice post. It probably will get me to the NT... I am in the CT finals in my conference and I won a game with threes against a rival I did not beat with another strategy! Maths!
10/31/2014 7:52 AM
Jay, I gotta go with Emy on this one. If he has some upside still in that def rating. At D3 I think he could be a tremendous scorer his last two seasons. Especially if you "hide" him in a 3/2 defense. I have seen some just horrible ratings for one or two guys on defense just not seem to hurt that much in the overall course of a season.  He has too low of a def rating for me to recruit him.... however, I may be the one a guy like that lights up and beats in the 2nd round of the NT. GL let us know what his Jr and Sr seasons look like.

10/31/2014 11:06 AM
Posted by mizzou77 on 10/31/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Jay, I gotta go with Emy on this one. If he has some upside still in that def rating. At D3 I think he could be a tremendous scorer his last two seasons. Especially if you "hide" him in a 3/2 defense. I have seen some just horrible ratings for one or two guys on defense just not seem to hurt that much in the overall course of a season.  He has too low of a def rating for me to recruit him.... however, I may be the one a guy like that lights up and beats in the 2nd round of the NT. GL let us know what his Jr and Sr seasons look like.

Yes I will let you guys know!  Recruiting starts Wednesday so have to find defenders to make an impact on the zone to get this team the stops it needs!
10/31/2014 11:50 AM
What is he something like 20-70-20 (ATH-SPD-DEF)?   You can easily pair him up with a 80-20-80 "SF"   and then with a passable defender at PG be in decent shape.   The 3-2 zone is the best way to hide a crappy defender in my opinion.
10/31/2014 2:26 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/31/2014 2:26:00 PM (view original):
What is he something like 20-70-20 (ATH-SPD-DEF)?   You can easily pair him up with a 80-20-80 "SF"   and then with a passable defender at PG be in decent shape.   The 3-2 zone is the best way to hide a crappy defender in my opinion.
I don't think this would be good at all...  That 80-20-80 SF is a fairly average defender in a 3-2...

It doesn't average individual ratings, it averages defensive efficiency.  And the perimeter defensive efficiency of a 20 SPD SF is probably not much above average.
10/31/2014 5:15 PM
What is defensive efficiency if not an average of ratings?
10/31/2014 10:36 PM
It is an average of ratings, but it's done on the individual player level...  You can't inherently compensate for a low ATH/DEF guy by having another guy who has high ATH/DEF; you just compensate for having a bad defender by having a good defender.  And the guy you described is an elite defender in a 2-3 zone, but not worth the likely recruiting cost if you're planning to run almost exclusively 3-2.
11/1/2014 2:21 AM
Are you sure about that?   I just sent in a ticket to check.
11/1/2014 9:57 AM
Another salient point is that you surrender the tactical advantage of the zone defense if you overcommit yourself to a player who forces you to stay in either the 2-3 or the 3-2.  As long as you're comfortable changing the starting lineup and bringing the guy off the bench if you play a team that demands a 2-3 (IE little perimeter scoring but dangerous big men), you can mitigate that.  Some guys get very married to their starting lineups, though.
11/1/2014 4:24 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/1/2014 2:21:00 AM (view original):
It is an average of ratings, but it's done on the individual player level...  You can't inherently compensate for a low ATH/DEF guy by having another guy who has high ATH/DEF; you just compensate for having a bad defender by having a good defender.  And the guy you described is an elite defender in a 2-3 zone, but not worth the likely recruiting cost if you're planning to run almost exclusively 3-2.
I think it was gillespie awhile back that defenders ARE averaged together. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure
11/3/2014 9:48 AM
Posted by arssanguinus on 10/27/2014 8:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by coachvegas44 on 10/26/2014 2:02:00 PM (view original):
3pt shooting is the most misunderstood and underutilized weapon in HD. That being said, I am an aggressive attack coach based on 20 years RL experience and my utiliziation of the "3" in HD, I know what works for me. The short answer is that type of high PE, low distro will cost you 4-5 games a year. At least that's what it gives me a year. I love to beat teams with high ratings on paper but who in fact defend their own 3pt shooting by underutilzing it.

Only, let me put it another perspective. A 50% big is a potential All Conference performer and most coaches would be happy to have one. Yet a lot of coaches are reluctant to let a 33% 3pt shooter shoot. They produce the same amount of points on the same amount of shots. Now let's take that a step further. 35% from 3 = 53% 2, 37%= 56% and 40%=60%. 33% is good, 40% is unbelievable!

If we play a game and everything else is virtually equal, your formula will provide you with 3-4 made 3's a game for 9-12 points. I'm going to shoot about 23-25 3's and my average over all seasons in HD is  between 37-38%. If i shoot 25 @ 37% = 9.25 shots made or a little over 27 points. I have outscored yet by 15-18 points JUST by a more aggressive approach to 3's. I win decisively soley because I utilized the 3 better than you. I can't give you my formula because I don't want coaches getting more aggressive. It happens to be one of my big advantages. I will say generally my 50 PE guys start shooting 3's at 0. There are adjustments from there depending on their %.

I hope this different point of view gives you something to think about in formulating you coaching style. Best of luck in the future.

5 3 shooter
Yah gotta account for free throws in your formula.
With my Beloit team in crum i have had some decent 3 pt shooters over the last few seasons- James Buckley(graduated last season), Willie Tozier and Morris Masters
11/3/2014 5:34 PM
http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12233
http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=4974

If anyone would like to take a look at those two teams and give me some suggestions for where you would set the 3pt +/-, I rarely go above 0, but am open to suggestions.
11/4/2014 12:23 PM
I would play Costa and HArris at a+1 or +2.
11/4/2014 12:31 PM
◂ Prev 123
What is the lowes per ratings you let take 3's? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.