What is the lowes per ratings you let take 3's? Topic

Posted by coachvegas44 on 10/26/2014 2:02:00 PM (view original):
3pt shooting is the most misunderstood and underutilized weapon in HD. That being said, I am an aggressive attack coach based on 20 years RL experience and my utiliziation of the "3" in HD, I know what works for me. The short answer is that type of high PE, low distro will cost you 4-5 games a year. At least that's what it gives me a year. I love to beat teams with high ratings on paper but who in fact defend their own 3pt shooting by underutilzing it.

Only, let me put it another perspective. A 50% big is a potential All Conference performer and most coaches would be happy to have one. Yet a lot of coaches are reluctant to let a 33% 3pt shooter shoot. They produce the same amount of points on the same amount of shots. Now let's take that a step further. 35% from 3 = 53% 2, 37%= 56% and 40%=60%. 33% is good, 40% is unbelievable!

If we play a game and everything else is virtually equal, your formula will provide you with 3-4 made 3's a game for 9-12 points. I'm going to shoot about 23-25 3's and my average over all seasons in HD is  between 37-38%. If i shoot 25 @ 37% = 9.25 shots made or a little over 27 points. I have outscored yet by 15-18 points JUST by a more aggressive approach to 3's. I win decisively soley because I utilized the 3 better than you. I can't give you my formula because I don't want coaches getting more aggressive. It happens to be one of my big advantages. I will say generally my 50 PE guys start shooting 3's at 0. There are adjustments from there depending on their %.

I hope this different point of view gives you something to think about in formulating you coaching style. Best of luck in the future.

5 3 shooter
Yah gotta account for free throws in your formula.
10/27/2014 8:23 AM
Athleticism 52

Speed 76

Rebounding 2

Defense 47

Shot Blocking 2

Low-post 31

Perimeter 76

Ball Handling 68

Passing 64

Work Ethic 21

Stamina 74

Durability 52

FT Shooting B  
Speaking of 3 point shooting in FB. What should I do with this guy?  Good FT shooting and good Per, BH, and SP
10/28/2014 10:39 AM
Athleticism 19

Speed 81

Rebounding 17

Defense 22

Shot Blocking 2

Low-post 1

Perimeter 73

Ball Handling 58

Passing 69

Work Ethic 33

Stamina 68

Durability 42

FT Shooting B  
What about him. Should he shoot 3's or drive for FT?
10/28/2014 11:11 AM (edited)
Division?
10/28/2014 2:34 PM
Kifer in the zero range, and I'd probably have Wells at either zero or plus one; with that 19 ath, probably not going to get much in the way of free throws.
10/28/2014 4:03 PM
I have a kid by the name of Deberry that I feel is going to be a stud.  He started as a freshman (promised him as I thought it might be a bad season).  Didn't have any distro throughout the season but thought why not at the end.  Now, he improved tremendously over the season but when I gave him the green light he was 72spd/73per/75BH.  The two games I gave him the green light he went 5-12 and 7-21 from the arc or just over 36%.  As a sophomore I will give him more touches throughout the season, but he won't shoot 20+ 3's a game.  But I do expect him to shoot 35-38% from three next season with primarily +2.  Now, that will also change depending on defense because his FT shooting is also very strong.
10/28/2014 4:30 PM
Division II.
10/28/2014 5:55 PM
Posted by jaymc2007 on 10/28/2014 4:30:00 PM (view original):
I have a kid by the name of Deberry that I feel is going to be a stud.  He started as a freshman (promised him as I thought it might be a bad season).  Didn't have any distro throughout the season but thought why not at the end.  Now, he improved tremendously over the season but when I gave him the green light he was 72spd/73per/75BH.  The two games I gave him the green light he went 5-12 and 7-21 from the arc or just over 36%.  As a sophomore I will give him more touches throughout the season, but he won't shoot 20+ 3's a game.  But I do expect him to shoot 35-38% from three next season with primarily +2.  Now, that will also change depending on defense because his FT shooting is also very strong.
You mean like against fcp you would drop his 3 att.
10/28/2014 5:57 PM
I think you have to be careful about what you call a stud.  Granted, Deberry is a pretty good player in the sense that he can score, and without knowing remaining potentials I'm guessing he has room to become a VERY good shooter.  That being said, the guy's ATH and DEF are so bad, he really would never be a guy I wanted to start.  Even as a senior with great IQ, he won't be able to guard anybody.  And since it looks like you press, he'll probably commit a lot of fouls and have trouble staying on the court.

A guy who can give you 15+ PPG off the bench can be useful, but when he's this bad defensively, it's still a mediocre +/- contribution.  I think there are a lot of coaches who underutilize average defenders who are very good scorers, especially if they have a secondary strength.  Too many guys prioritize defense too highly and ignore players who might be adequate defenders with, say, great scoring and rebounding potential, or great scoring and PG skills.  But there are limits, and I think Deberry is pushing them.  I'm not saying I'd never recruit him, perhaps on a team that was desperate for some outside shooting to balance the offense.  But he'd have to be very cheap, and I'd never plan to start him at any point in his career.  When a guy's that bad defensively, he's hard to count on (because of fouling issues) and hard to make a particularly positive contributor because of the scoring he'll allow.  When I project a guy to his senior year and then figure he might be little better than a push coming off the bench against some sophomore on an average team, I need a very good reason to recruit him.  Again, I'm not saying never.  But I would also never call him a stud.
10/28/2014 6:00 PM
terps, on your Ohio Valley team I would play Kifer +2, Wells +1, Zakarion +2, Rodriques 0, Luckett 0. Then I would adjust up or down based upon percentages. If  you would like any other info, site mail me.
10/28/2014 10:00 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 10/28/2014 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jaymc2007 on 10/28/2014 4:30:00 PM (view original):
You mean like against fcp you would drop his 3 att.
Right.  Or maybe if he has a weak defender on him that I want to get in foul trouble by driving (again since he should be a decent free throw shooter), or things like that
10/29/2014 2:59 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/28/2014 6:00:00 PM (view original):
I think you have to be careful about what you call a stud.  Granted, Deberry is a pretty good player in the sense that he can score, and without knowing remaining potentials I'm guessing he has room to become a VERY good shooter.  That being said, the guy's ATH and DEF are so bad, he really would never be a guy I wanted to start.  Even as a senior with great IQ, he won't be able to guard anybody.  And since it looks like you press, he'll probably commit a lot of fouls and have trouble staying on the court.

A guy who can give you 15+ PPG off the bench can be useful, but when he's this bad defensively, it's still a mediocre +/- contribution.  I think there are a lot of coaches who underutilize average defenders who are very good scorers, especially if they have a secondary strength.  Too many guys prioritize defense too highly and ignore players who might be adequate defenders with, say, great scoring and rebounding potential, or great scoring and PG skills.  But there are limits, and I think Deberry is pushing them.  I'm not saying I'd never recruit him, perhaps on a team that was desperate for some outside shooting to balance the offense.  But he'd have to be very cheap, and I'd never plan to start him at any point in his career.  When a guy's that bad defensively, he's hard to count on (because of fouling issues) and hard to make a particularly positive contributor because of the scoring he'll allow.  When I project a guy to his senior year and then figure he might be little better than a push coming off the bench against some sophomore on an average team, I need a very good reason to recruit him.  Again, I'm not saying never.  But I would also never call him a stud.
Just overlooking I get where you are coming from, but I changed it up.  I am going to zone and have ideas of what I want at different spots on the court.  One of those spots is a pure scorer, which Deberry can fulfill that role more often than not.  I agree his defense isn't up to par but like you said, so many coaches are scared of guys like this because of not being able to defend that if they are above average in scoring they let them go.  So since I play zones (and some of my other "spots" are pure defenders) I feel I will have a successful time with Deberry.
10/29/2014 3:01 PM
He's too bad to start still...  Especially in a 2-3, he'd kill your perimeter defense, no matter how good the other guy is.  You could have a high-D1 caliber guard paired with him (90+ ATH/SPD/DEF) and you'd still have below-average perimeter defense.  And since your other guy is absurdly unlikely to be THAT good, you'll have very poor perimeter defense.
10/30/2014 1:43 AM
He likes the player. He has a plan to use the player. He thinks his plan will work and he's obviously going to try his plan. Let him try it and see if he can deal with the results. If he can, then his plan worked. If he can't, then he learned something about the game.
10/30/2014 2:20 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 10/30/2014 2:20:00 AM (view original):
He likes the player. He has a plan to use the player. He thinks his plan will work and he's obviously going to try his plan. Let him try it and see if he can deal with the results. If he can, then his plan worked. If he can't, then he learned something about the game.
Haha!! Right!!! I am not saying I am correct, I am saying in my mind I think it will work.  And if not, as you said, live and learn.
10/30/2014 3:56 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
What is the lowes per ratings you let take 3's? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.