I don't believe in poaching. My question is how do you prevent people from coming in late and winning recruit? He was considering me and right before signings he kicked me off and considered someone else. When a recruit is considering you after first cycle how much effort do you still put into pprevent that? Also how much effort do you need to get him to be tight or very solid with your team?
10/19/2014 10:17 AM
Posted by terps21234 on 10/19/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
I don't believe in poaching. My question is how do you prevent people from coming in late and winning recruit? He was considering me and right before signings he kicked me off and considered someone else. When a recruit is considering you after first cycle how much effort do you still put into pprevent that? Also how much effort do you need to get him to be tight or very solid with your team?
Not exactly sure about how much effort is required to make them *tight* or *very solid* with your team, but I thought I remember it being in the ballpark of 30 home visits or the equivalent efforts. 

As far as preventing poaching, there's not a whole lot you can do besides conserving money to leave yourself enough budget to battle back. If you have one recruit that you REALLY want, I suppose you could dump a big portion of your budget into him early on and considering credit will make it tougher for your opponents to poach, especially at the last minute. 

P.S. You'd best start believing in poaching, because other coaches aren't going to hold back from using this strategy against you and it will only help you succeed if you use it yourself. 
10/19/2014 11:33 AM (edited)
The tight message is somewhere between 23-26 HV's.  
10/19/2014 11:48 AM
I think the OP meant he doesn't believe in such a thing as poaching as it concerns this game. I could be wrong though.
10/19/2014 2:25 PM
Posted by supersloth33 on 10/19/2014 2:25:00 PM (view original):
I think the OP meant he doesn't believe in such a thing as poaching as it concerns this game. I could be wrong though.
Yes. I believe that any recruit is not yours until they sign. I don't believe in the word poaching. Like, he's mine why did you poach/steal him from me.
10/19/2014 2:56 PM
P.S. I will go after someone's recruit till the very end. Part of the game. I just want to know how to prevent it.
10/19/2014 2:59 PM
I think the only way is to always expect it to happen. Keep money saved up in case you need to battle. I've never got a recruit *tight* in DII, I think that's using way too much money too early.
10/19/2014 3:17 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 10/19/2014 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by supersloth33 on 10/19/2014 2:25:00 PM (view original):
Yes. I believe that any recruit is not yours until they sign. I don't believe in the word poaching. Like, he's mine why did you poach/steal him from me.
My bad, thanks for clarifying!
10/19/2014 3:29 PM
Posted by scaturo on 10/19/2014 11:48:00 AM (view original):
This is for the first few WOTS messages that come out/update.  As signings near, I've been *tight* with a recruit on the update 6 hours before signings with just 12 HV.  (All 12 HV were spent early on and the WOTS message changed from "definitely leaning towards" to *tight* without additional effort from me).  

To me, the only thing you can really do to prevent being "poached" is to not be seen in battles; that's probably the only thing that'll give other coaches reasons to pause before coming in on your guy.  At D1 the reality seems to be if a higher prestige school has the money and distance is comparable, there's almost nothing you can do to prevent them from taking your guy.  It's more about having sound backup plans in case you get poached than taking measures to prevent getting poached.
10/19/2014 3:45 PM
All is fair in love, war and recruiting as the old WIS saying goes, provided you aren't breaking the TOS.Coaches get angry when it happens to them, because they have high expectations that the player will sign with them. It's like that girlfriend you thought you had and then all of a sudden she slipped out of your hands and is now going with someone else. Player isn't yours until he signs.
10/19/2014 4:30 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 10/19/2014 3:45:00 PM (view original):
This is for the first few WOTS messages that come out/update.  As signings near, I've been *tight* with a recruit on the update 6 hours before signings with just 12 HV.  (All 12 HV were spent early on and the WOTS message changed from "definitely leaning towards" to *tight* without additional effort from me).  

To me, the only thing you can really do to prevent being "poached" is to not be seen in battles; that's probably the only thing that'll give other coaches reasons to pause before coming in on your guy.  At D1 the reality seems to be if a higher prestige school has the money and distance is comparable, there's almost nothing you can do to prevent them from taking your guy.  It's more about having sound backup plans in case you get poached than taking measures to prevent getting poached.
Yeah, I have seen that as well.   I don't recall how much effort I put in but I thought it was odd.   I wasn't sure if it was because of considering credit or a reduction in the requirement to be tight.
10/19/2014 5:27 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 10/19/2014 3:45:00 PM (view original):

Ok. That sounds reasonable (12 visit). This was DII and I wasn't in battles. Had 4 open schollies and 3 guys only considering me. I just sent calls to keep interest. My bad, now I know to send more. I kept money in reserve, but he must of came hard because I countered with like $3,000 and 8 pm signings he signed with other team.
10/19/2014 7:53 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/19/2014 4:30:00 PM (view original):
All is fair in love, war and recruiting as the old WIS saying goes, provided you aren't breaking the TOS.Coaches get angry when it happens to them, because they have high expectations that the player will sign with them. It's like that girlfriend you thought you had and then all of a sudden she slipped out of your hands and is now going with someone else. Player isn't yours until he signs.
+1. My point exactly. Made the point in the beginning. Just want to know how to prevent it. I didn't send enough after he was considering me. Now I've learned.
10/19/2014 7:57 PM
A lot will depend on the school and level of recruit. I have had a guy tight for under $1500.  This is actually something I think should require more effort.  Especially for top level guys it should take a minimum of 20K to be tight.
10/20/2014 2:17 PM
I've been told it's no so much about how much money you've put into the recruit but how much you have to put in him. Most of the time if a higher prestige school comes in to "poach" they do so because you're overextended. As a previous poster stated - being in battles is one way to get poached - not being tight with a recruit is another - and pretty much not paying attention from 2pm to 8:01 pm of the last cycles before signing. (I've done this and had plenty of money to stop the opposing coach).

But I think the best thing you can do is keep an eye on what's going on around you. Know who has open schollies but no considerings throughout the entire cycles before signing - these are usually the prime poachers laying in wait to catch you unawares.
10/20/2014 4:18 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.