Best value draft pick you've had? Topic

The last digit is # of pro years. 

Grimsley got 1.  No others in Coop.
Flores threw 300+ innings.
Frank was already mentioned.
Saunders got 499 AB. 

I think you'll find most 6th and beyond are role guys. 
10/17/2014 3:21 PM
Anthony Nagy was pick 481 (14th round).  He has a major league Gold Glove and a career OPS of 797 at age 26 in just over 1000 AB.  

Of course, it took DitR in successive seasons (ages 19 and 20) to get there.  
10/17/2014 3:52 PM

I think he specifically tried to exclude DITR.

10/17/2014 5:22 PM
He did.  That's why I 'fessed up...  you had broken the ice with Hubbard and his DitR, which you were also upfront about.  I didn't mean that Nagy's development was anything other than dumb luck on my part, and some of the guys other people posted were clearly just good draft picks.  I've never had a pick that low play that much for me without a DitR, except very early on, when I played bad players more often.

Partial hijack-- I occasionally acquire players with DitR specifically in mind.  The DitR process is not all luck... I often spend a couple of my 4-7 round picks on guys that I think will become something if they get a DitR (usually defensive catchers with low DUR), and sometimes try to acquire them as trade throw-ins.  Luis Lee is the best I've done using this strategy.
10/17/2014 7:40 PM
Not my pick, but the best I ever saw was http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=2785198. Sorry about posting that way, I am on an iPad. Pick 136, .924 OPS, 15 year ML career, nearly 300 HR's, strong defensive catcher.
10/17/2014 9:07 PM
Again, not my pick, but http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=2988894 was pick #124 and has 6 rings. You might call him the most decorated later round pick.
10/17/2014 9:14 PM
I'm going to be pretty pleased with this guy:  http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6822660

Just drafted him in the #30 spot.  Projects to 95-85-66-63-64.  For a #30 that's a heck of a hitter...if he hits projections.  Just 18 years old...
10/20/2014 12:35 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: D.J. Wheeler was a good value at 80 (my first ever HBD draft).  Other than that I might have a 25th man who plays defense well or a good defensive catcher come in rounds 4-5, but that's about it.
10/20/2014 2:10 PM
Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I think the best late round pick I've made was a RP in the 6th round who never made it past AA but turned into a very good pitching coach.

I've had a few 4th round Cs and 1-2 very good D SSs who played several seasons on my ML teams and/or others.  Like Mike said, none of them worth keeping if they started asking for more the $2M.

10/21/2014 5:19 PM

Claimed off the WW  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: George Frye

Drafted 664 and no sign of DITR.   Only 70 AB for me but he's crushing it.    452 career AB, .796 OPS, mostly in pitcher's parks.   He might do quite well in Albuquerque.

10/22/2014 12:26 PM
Would be nice if there was a way to mark threads like this for new HBD players or anyone who want to field better teams and is willing to put in a bit of time every few months.

This is a tutorial on how to get value out of the 4+ rounds of the draft. Something that's not likely to happen unless you understand how to identify the types of players that will be way down in the initial draft rankings yet can fill roles on winning teams for 3-6 seasons.  They almost certainly won't be going to all-star games, but they provide better value than spending millions on aging FAs or trading players who can play positions harder or more important to fill.
10/22/2014 2:53 PM
The problem with acquiring info from the forums is too much of it is personal opinion, bullshit theories or unsubstantiated claims.    A nice example is the "unrated abilities...." thread.    A user claimed that handedness and AA/AS of pitchers could have an effect on CS% based on 53 innings of work.    New HBD players may not know how to figure out good/bad advice. 
10/22/2014 3:04 PM
One of my favorite players -  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Stuart Chapman

Pick 171 - I didn't draft him, but claimed him off Rule 5.  Usually you see a lot of these guys who can only DH or play 1B, but he could play COF and even 3B without embarrassing himself completely.  Got a lot of starts against lefties, pinch-hit a bunch, and got a few huge hits for me in the postseason.  Being a switch-hitter, when he had to face a RHP, he didn't fall on his face either. Solid player.
10/22/2014 3:29 PM
Mike - I agree, to a point.

The reason I don't bother rating posts (we can't rate threads) is because I don't think there's any way to search or rank threads by Most Popular, number of stars, etc.

User ratings don't create a perfect ranking system, but in other forums, if I'm looking for info and a look at posts with a lot of thumbs up or 4-5 star ratings, I usually get pretty good info.  So I suspect the same would could here.

In the "Unrated Abilities" thread, while I agree with you it seems to initial post / theory is wrong, the follow-up posts have some good info for those who want to get better at HBD.  You, tec,and others showed how to find stats and then look at them vs. ratings to test theories.  Good stuff for those who care.

The info in "Unrated Abilities" belongs in a category named something like - "Things That Might Win/Lose You 1 Game Every 2-5 Seasons".  Good info in there, but the odds of it all coming together to impact you making the playoffs or not is very small.  I think the number of thumbs up it would get would reflect that.

On the other hand, posts about pitcher control, pitch quality, how defense works (what you don't see in +/- plays), etc. are pretty important to getting off to an OK start in HBD or setting yourself up to lose for many more seasons than you need to as a newbie.

And there are other posts that highlight areas of the game where there different approaches that all yield reasonable results.  The importance of pitch calling vs. C hitting, for example.  In other forums, threads like those get high ratings, too.

None of this is going to happen. Just an idea.  And sorry for hijacking the thread.

10/22/2014 3:43 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Best value draft pick you've had? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.