What happened to the old Admin??? Topic

Posted by gillispie1 on 10/14/2014 11:00:00 PM (view original):
i dont know anything about the basketball or tarek's latest adventures, but about 5 years ago, after the release of potential, he got called into the big boss's office and fired on the spot. no notice or anything, he said it took him totally by surprise. im guessing they had been thinking of getting rid of him for a while and the disaster that was the release of potential gave them all the excuse they needed. then seble took over, and his first patch to fix potential really did a very good job, it was the best release he's done actually. overall the short version of seble vs tarek is, tarek knew the game better. seble has done a total engine rewrite though (at which point numerous annoying bugs were introduced and many have yet to be eradicated), so he does know it decently from the programming side, but has no experience whatsoever actually coaching. that lack of insight into what its actually like to be a consumer, its his biggest weakness. but in terms of communication, seble is much more straight forward and open. he tries to give good answers, and he tries to take our feedback into account. too much maybe even - he lacks the background to put our complaints into context. his biggest failure was the change to recruit generation several years ago in d1, from which an entire third of the d1 population abandoned d1. its come back a little but not close to what it was. he had good intentions - and his attempt was rooted in good advice from the community. but because he lacks the context and the vision, he didn't realize what a disaster he was creating (the vets immediately recognized the problem upon release, but, he didn't listen, and hasn't touched it since). and also because he doesn't test stuff out with us first, in a beta world or something, we often find ourselves "paying to beta test". but when it comes down to it, seble is a pretty nice guy who has good intentions, even if they are sometimes a bit misguided. 

i think that pretty adequately sums up the "admin situation" since you left...

The best answer ever and why I feel that D1 was so much fun back in the day.  The talent level is bad and why do 4 star players suck?  You got A+'s fighting over a 2 Star center but the 4 Star PF nobody goes after and ends up at a C prestige school after the school puts in 100 HV's.  Seble should bring back the origional generation of players 1-25 5 Star, 26-50 4 Star, etc...etc.  It's like he wants to keep the rich rich and the schools at the bottom D1 at the bottom with the hope you win your CT 4 times to move your school from a C- to a B-.  SMH
10/15/2014 2:58 PM
I definitely wouldn't be against more talent going around but that's a large amount of studs lol
10/15/2014 3:11 PM
Posted by iwanturmind2 on 10/15/2014 1:00:00 PM (view original):
It changed when fox took over I believe. Then it became about subscription
id agree with that.
10/15/2014 3:18 PM

Rednation that how it was before Sebel changed it and why so many players left.

10/15/2014 4:25 PM
interesting   very interesting
10/15/2014 7:12 PM
tarek was definitely more hands on and in tune with the game. You guys that mentioned Cincinnati might be able to validate this, but I remember a few years back some Cincy area HDer's would gather 1-2 times a year at local establishment. It seems like I remember someone saying tarek showed up at one of them
10/16/2014 2:19 AM
Posted by drewby04 on 10/16/2014 2:19:00 AM (view original):
tarek was definitely more hands on and in tune with the game. You guys that mentioned Cincinnati might be able to validate this, but I remember a few years back some Cincy area HDer's would gather 1-2 times a year at local establishment. It seems like I remember someone saying tarek showed up at one of them
There were many WIS outings covering all of WIS not just HD. There were several annual Wrigleyfests in Chicago. Other get togethers were held in Cincy, Detroit, Boston, Toronto, and probably some locations I forgot. I believe that Tarek attended most if not all of them. He usually paid the bar tab too. He was a very outgoing guy who loved his creation as much as his users.
10/16/2014 3:07 AM
They should have on of those WIS outings in the New York area.  I would love to see that happen in the future.
10/16/2014 8:41 AM
Interesting how people remember Tarek's departure differently. All in all Tarek was a good cat and I wish him well in all his current business ventures.

There's one team in HD D-1 that's there specifically because I asked him to add it, and I was amazed and impressed that he did it.
10/20/2014 11:39 PM
The only complaint I had about tark was his inability to admit errors.   It would take him weeks, after many coaches pointed out a possible glitch, to finally admit that the "game wasn't running as I planned."

On the other hand, he was very willing to keep the schools up to date. On one occasion, I pointed out that he had Murray State in Tennessee instead of Kentucky. He corrected it within hours.  There were 3 or 4 other times when a school changed names (Columbia Union became Washington Adventist, for example). He changed them immediately. 

I've pointed out name changes to seble as well but he's not interested in changing them even though it's a simple process.  So, we still have:

1)  Wisconsin-Green Bay and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  Athletically, the schools and the Horizon Conference dropped the Wisconsin a long time ago. The schools prefer simply  Green Bay and Milwaukee. 

2) Philadelphia Biblical should be  Cairn

3) Augusta St. should be Georgia Regents
10/21/2014 4:30 AM (edited)
Posted by alblack56 on 10/15/2014 5:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by drewby04 on 10/14/2014 11:24:00 PM (view original):
the original concept was tarek's baby wasn't it? I think it was originally a way to compare college basketball teams from different years and generations and the logic was spun off to hoops dynasty. To me, it was unbelievable when I first heard about it. I grew up on a game called something like "real life basketball" It used real stats of college teams and comparative value attributes to play. It was great, expect you had to flip little cards to play and the games took forever. Hoops dynasty had that feel. I will say, the computer has made simplified a lot of this "fantasy" sports.

I'm remember rolling dice in APBA baseball, the 10 minutes between plays in electronic football, and the spring breaking in "bas-ket" I almost forgot about "talking football" with those little disks. And "see action" football with the animated guys. talk about taking forever. It would take an hour to play a quarter.
I still have my 1973 Strat-O-Matic baseball game, including the player cards.   My first sports 'game', however, was the Johnny Unitas electric football game. The players moved via vibration....of course, they could just as easily move backwards. LOL

Lance McAlister's name was 'SHOTGUN'.  In his best season, he took Butler to the title game

I have an old Kentucky Derby board game circa 1930 passed down to me.  It's got 6 horses named Funny Face, Tipperary, Eddie Canter, Hot Cha!, Prosperity, and Rumba.  You'd probably be interested in that Al.  I also have an old baseball board game passed down:  1941 Ethan Allen's All-Star Baseball Game.  For football, my grandfather had Tom Hamilton's Football Game from 1930.  

After playing with them as a child, it's fun to look at it now as a piece of history and connecting to my past.     

10/21/2014 5:24 PM
Sorry plumpy, I should've just sitemailed Al. Didn't mean to potentially derail this thread.
10/21/2014 6:09 PM
Posted by barretchap on 10/21/2014 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Sorry plumpy, I should've just sitemailed Al. Didn't mean to potentially derail this thread.
Lol...no worries! 

I like it when a thread takes a life of its own and grows in different directions.
10/21/2014 6:51 PM
Posted by jtkines on 10/14/2014 10:54:00 PM (view original):
I vaguely remember that conversation. Lance McCalister was the radio host. Use to have him on a couple times of year. I don't think Lance is involved in Hoops Dynasty anymore. Can't remember what his user name was. Didn't think it was Homer. That is what the radio stations handle at the time was (homer 1530).
Lance Mcalister may be back.  His coach name was SHOTGUN, which has recently joined two worlds now. 
10/25/2014 2:27 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 10/25/2014 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jtkines on 10/14/2014 10:54:00 PM (view original):
I vaguely remember that conversation. Lance McCalister was the radio host. Use to have him on a couple times of year. I don't think Lance is involved in Hoops Dynasty anymore. Can't remember what his user name was. Didn't think it was Homer. That is what the radio stations handle at the time was (homer 1530).
Lance Mcalister may be back.  His coach name was SHOTGUN, which has recently joined two worlds now. 
I emailed him and yes indeed he is back!!!
10/26/2014 2:01 PM
◂ Prev 12
What happened to the old Admin??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.