What happened to the old Admin??? Topic

I heard him (Tarek I think) talking on Homer's radio show one night about Hoops Dynasty and his new invention that was a basketball with a chip inside. 

Has he been heard from?

Does Homer still play Hoops Dynasty???
10/14/2014 7:58 PM
I vaguely remember that conversation. Lance McCalister was the radio host. Use to have him on a couple times of year. I don't think Lance is involved in Hoops Dynasty anymore. Can't remember what his user name was. Didn't think it was Homer. That is what the radio stations handle at the time was (homer 1530).
10/14/2014 10:54 PM
i dont know anything about the basketball or tarek's latest adventures, but about 5 years ago, after the release of potential, he got called into the big boss's office and fired on the spot. no notice or anything, he said it took him totally by surprise. im guessing they had been thinking of getting rid of him for a while and the disaster that was the release of potential gave them all the excuse they needed. then seble took over, and his first patch to fix potential really did a very good job, it was the best release he's done actually. overall the short version of seble vs tarek is, tarek knew the game better. seble has done a total engine rewrite though (at which point numerous annoying bugs were introduced and many have yet to be eradicated), so he does know it decently from the programming side, but has no experience whatsoever actually coaching. that lack of insight into what its actually like to be a consumer, its his biggest weakness. but in terms of communication, seble is much more straight forward and open. he tries to give good answers, and he tries to take our feedback into account. too much maybe even - he lacks the background to put our complaints into context. his biggest failure was the change to recruit generation several years ago in d1, from which an entire third of the d1 population abandoned d1. its come back a little but not close to what it was. he had good intentions - and his attempt was rooted in good advice from the community. but because he lacks the context and the vision, he didn't realize what a disaster he was creating (the vets immediately recognized the problem upon release, but, he didn't listen, and hasn't touched it since). and also because he doesn't test stuff out with us first, in a beta world or something, we often find ourselves "paying to beta test". but when it comes down to it, seble is a pretty nice guy who has good intentions, even if they are sometimes a bit misguided. 

i think that pretty adequately sums up the "admin situation" since you left...

10/14/2014 11:00 PM
the original concept was tarek's baby wasn't it? I think it was originally a way to compare college basketball teams from different years and generations and the logic was spun off to hoops dynasty. To me, it was unbelievable when I first heard about it. I grew up on a game called something like "real life basketball" It used real stats of college teams and comparative value attributes to play. It was great, expect you had to flip little cards to play and the games took forever. Hoops dynasty had that feel. I will say, the computer has made simplified a lot of this "fantasy" sports.

I'm remember rolling dice in APBA baseball, the 10 minutes between plays in electronic football, and the spring breaking in "bas-ket" I almost forgot about "talking football" with those little disks. And "see action" football with the animated guys. talk about taking forever. It would take an hour to play a quarter.
10/14/2014 11:24 PM
yeah, tarek is the founder of WIS and the original creator of HD and a bunch of other WIS stuff. i live in cinci like he does, i always have wanted to look him up and buy him a drink. i have wanted to make my own basketball sim for a long time, just busy and stuff, so it would be really cool to talk to him about the technical challenges he faced as a programmer and game designer, and stuff. on top of how cool it would be to meet him as a relatively hardcore HD fan, obviously.
10/14/2014 11:28 PM
I would def play Jeffsketball
10/15/2014 12:35 AM
Posted by drewby04 on 10/14/2014 11:24:00 PM (view original):
the original concept was tarek's baby wasn't it? I think it was originally a way to compare college basketball teams from different years and generations and the logic was spun off to hoops dynasty. To me, it was unbelievable when I first heard about it. I grew up on a game called something like "real life basketball" It used real stats of college teams and comparative value attributes to play. It was great, expect you had to flip little cards to play and the games took forever. Hoops dynasty had that feel. I will say, the computer has made simplified a lot of this "fantasy" sports.

I'm remember rolling dice in APBA baseball, the 10 minutes between plays in electronic football, and the spring breaking in "bas-ket" I almost forgot about "talking football" with those little disks. And "see action" football with the animated guys. talk about taking forever. It would take an hour to play a quarter.
I still have my 1973 Strat-O-Matic baseball game, including the player cards.   My first sports 'game', however, was the Johnny Unitas electric football game. The players moved via vibration....of course, they could just as easily move backwards. LOL

Lance McAlister's name was 'SHOTGUN'.  In his best season, he took Butler to the title game
10/15/2014 5:48 AM (edited)
ADMIN. WAS DESTROYED IN THE "CHICKEN WARS" BY THE ORCW!
10/15/2014 6:07 AM
Tarek's latest venture:

http://cerkl.com/#page-work

And this is the basketball, I think it is now available in Apple Stores:

http://www.94fifty.com/

10/15/2014 6:25 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 10/14/2014 11:28:00 PM (view original):
yeah, tarek is the founder of WIS and the original creator of HD and a bunch of other WIS stuff. i live in cinci like he does, i always have wanted to look him up and buy him a drink. i have wanted to make my own basketball sim for a long time, just busy and stuff, so it would be really cool to talk to him about the technical challenges he faced as a programmer and game designer, and stuff. on top of how cool it would be to meet him as a relatively hardcore HD fan, obviously.
"relatively" hardcore?

10/15/2014 7:30 AM
Posted by davis on 10/15/2014 6:25:00 AM (view original):
Tarek's latest venture:

http://cerkl.com/#page-work

And this is the basketball, I think it is now available in Apple Stores:

http://www.94fifty.com/

that basketball thing is pretty neat.

its kind of funny, if you go look at the cerkl thing, the first page is like, what if... you could send email or something. but the first screen is just what if... , i wonder if admin put that there? would be pretty funny if so...
10/15/2014 11:06 AM
I remember playing with him in Div 2 a long time ago in Phelan.  I actually forgot what school he had but it was a great school.  That conference was a beast though and I loved the game until protential came out.  To be honest it was better the old way because you can build a player and team the way you wanted it.  I never been good with protential and still learning the game.  Seble had a test run awhile back and hundred of players joined the test.  Then he took like a month to start it and guys forgot about it.  He ran it for a few days then scrapped it and we all wanted to play more of it and he stopped it from running and only listined to a couple of players.  He could of had the test world run for a while like they did in Gridon Dynasty.  That was the last bit for me and just took my interest away from the game.  To be honest a friend joined and we talk about the game at work and great coaches like billyg, kmasonbx, hawk and shiqpta have helped me get into the game more.   Also getting to a BCS conference finally helped me also.  I miss admin he was a good dude and loved the game very much.  I feel if he would of stayed the game would of progressed more (like no real updates since the protential fiasco) and the generation of recruits were WAY better with Admin.
10/15/2014 12:15 PM
TArek was a really cool guy. Ive been on here since Whatif was created. My buddy was another guy who worked for the company, no longer with them, GOt to meet lots of ppl in the office, seemed like a great place to work for a while, then things changed.

i enjoyed taking all their money in poker games.
10/15/2014 12:23 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 10/15/2014 12:35:00 AM (view original):
I would def play Jeffsketball

+1 lol!
10/15/2014 12:23 PM
It changed when fox took over I believe. Then it became about subscription
10/15/2014 1:00 PM
12 Next ▸
What happened to the old Admin??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.