60M Owners Draft & Analysis Topic

No offense Brianjw, please don't hurt me haha
10/16/2014 6:16 PM
Fortunately you don't have to trade down if you don't want to build your team first - you can just intentionally let the deadline pass and let the person behind you jump you in line.

Against the spirit of the theme, possibly, but the option is there if you really wanted.

10/16/2014 6:28 PM
Posted by alleyviper on 10/16/2014 6:28:00 PM (view original):
Fortunately you don't have to trade down if you don't want to build your team first - you can just intentionally let the deadline pass and let the person behind you jump you in line.

Against the spirit of the theme, possibly, but the option is there if you really wanted.

Right, I'm not against the theme.  The 3 other owners in my division earned their places and I did not earn that right so I wouldn't intentionally violate the rules because I believe in the integrity of the theme.  That is not my point of contention.  It was simply the rules are written the way they are and I think they should be adhered to.  I may be outnumbered in that opinion in which case so be it. My roster is submitted and my team is entered so I have no more say until we begin.
10/16/2014 6:38 PM (edited)
I do agree that knowing someone else's roster and being able to design your roster around that fact is an advantage.  It looks like some people feel that advantage is greater than allowing others to pick their players first.  Luckily there is a means to remedy this as alleyviper points out (however, that wouldn't work if all 4 owners felt the exact same way as they'd all just not submit and the draft would just drag on) and that's just to not make your picks and let the person behind you go ahead (you could probably just tell them to go first too if they wanted to speed things up).

I guess I've always wondered if some of the themes were meant to be fair to all owners (whether they be at the top of the race or the bottom) or if some themes were meant somehow to reward the top owners or maybe even try and level the playing field.  I think Schwarze does a great job designing these themes and is trying to make each theme as fair as possible (regardless of who is better/worse).  So its a tricky thing to balance advantages to some to disadvanges in others.
10/16/2014 7:32 PM
Picking early is an advantage, no doubt in my mind. Playing against a roster isn't worth much unless somebody drafts an extreme team, and even then you only play 14  games against them and you've compromised your roster against everybody else.
10/16/2014 8:07 PM
Quote post by Jdh34 on 10/16/2014 6:29:00 PM:

If you are confident that its not an advantage I encourage you to send your roster to all managers, not just your division.  Prove me wrong.

I'm perfectly OK with sending my own roster to any owner in any division who meets EITHER of the following criteria:

1.  Has already submitted their rosters such that it can NOT be modified.

2.  Is subjected to being unable to pick any of my players due having to adhere to my division blacklist.

Realistically this means I could theoretically sitemail everyone who's already submitted their roster (say you would be able to see my roster but if you've already submitted as well then you can't do anything about it).  If you could, then you would gain an advantage over my team but what disadvantage did you have to adhere to balance things out?

If for example each owner would pick say 5 players that overlap the next, the only difference is that the team captain instead of find out at the start of week 3 that 15 guys have to be replaced, he would find out that 5 players were picked at 1 week intervals.  While he could replace those 5 almost immediately, he wouldn't know for sure those 5 new guys where his and he might still have to find yet another 5 of the same replacements.  My suggestion to send sitemails to all 3 owners was just to help speed up what is already a long drawn out drafting process.

10/16/2014 8:56 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 10/16/2014 8:07:00 PM (view original):
Picking early is an advantage, no doubt in my mind. Playing against a roster isn't worth much unless somebody drafts an extreme team, and even then you only play 14  games against them and you've compromised your roster against everybody else.
100%
10/16/2014 10:51 PM
A lot of interesting discussions with this theme.

When I came up with this theme idea, it was my intention to help the "lower ranked" teams by giving them the roster-selection priority.  But I could also see the teams picking later having a slight offsetting advantage of seeing the other rosters.  This slight advantage really comes into play only if there are extremes in the other roster(s).  For example, if the first three rosters avoided HR hitters, the division captain could grab lower-whip pitchers with higher HRs.  Or if nobody in the division drafted SBs, the captain could get away with a lesser throwing arm from his catcher.  But it's more likely that the three teams will have a number of different conflicting strategies, thus limiting that advantage.

That being said, I'm sure brianjw will figure out the exact perfect strategy to dominate his three division mates. 
10/16/2014 11:11 PM
Posted by schwarze on 10/16/2014 11:11:00 PM (view original):
A lot of interesting discussions with this theme.

When I came up with this theme idea, it was my intention to help the "lower ranked" teams by giving them the roster-selection priority.  But I could also see the teams picking later having a slight offsetting advantage of seeing the other rosters.  This slight advantage really comes into play only if there are extremes in the other roster(s).  For example, if the first three rosters avoided HR hitters, the division captain could grab lower-whip pitchers with higher HRs.  Or if nobody in the division drafted SBs, the captain could get away with a lesser throwing arm from his catcher.  But it's more likely that the three teams will have a number of different conflicting strategies, thus limiting that advantage.

That being said, I'm sure brianjw will figure out the exact perfect strategy to dominate his three division mates. 
And I'll be interested to read his strategy should he be kind enough to post it when we get going
10/17/2014 4:08 AM
I wasn't really planning to look too closely at the other rosters. As rbow said, there are plenty more games against teams outside your division to take worry about.

That said, if all three teams in the division have D--- arms at catcher, or HR/9 rates over 2, or all left-handed pitchers, there might be some reason to adjust. But otherwise it is hard to get away from what usually works at low caps - as well-balanced a team as possible.
10/17/2014 12:42 PM
Posted by mildnhazy on 10/16/2014 10:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rbow923 on 10/16/2014 8:07:00 PM (view original):
100%
110%
10/17/2014 3:25 PM
It would be great if everybody that has completed his 60M roster, to go ahead and enter it into the league. 

MLB
10/20/2014 2:55 PM

I will need the division captain to site-mail me all four of his division's rosters once they are available, as I need to check the rosters reported are the same as those entered into the league.

10/22/2014 8:40 AM
I have a team ready to go but I want to try and squeeze a little bit extra out of it some time tonight. If I don't have the time it's ready to be sent out, though.
10/23/2014 8:23 AM
I will use this post to track roster submissions...

Red = roster submitted
Bold = entered into the league

Draft Results

NL East AL East AL Central NL Central NL West AL West
Round brianjw discodemo ybjsports WaitNSee yankeeso7 mllama54
------------- ----------------------- ----------------------- ----------------------- ----------------------- ----------------------- ----------------------
Rd 1  Jdh34  rmdriskill  rickysdad44  crystalao  calhoop  jbohrman
Rd 2  jmissirlis  dougpalm  sford  alleyviper  contrarian23  jjgreen14
Rd 3  bardin  schwarze  mildnhazy  rbow923  mpitt76  buddhagamer
11/3/2014 2:23 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
60M Owners Draft & Analysis Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.