Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Posted by moranis on 10/8/2014 1:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 10/8/2014 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Mississippi is clearly the better team?  So, just so we're clear, if Bama and Mississippi were playing on a neutral field on Saturday and you were forced to place your life savings on one of them, you're taking Mississippi?

Because that would mean you think they are actually the better team.  You're talking who currently has the better resume, which has always been the disconnect between you and Mike.

I'm talking about best based on the factors used by the committee to determine best.  There are 4 identified categories.  Strength of Schedule, Head to Head, Common Opponents, and Championships won.  They then have a catch all of unnamed categories, presumably way less important since they aren't named.  Mike keeps going to the imaginary 5th category and just ignores the first four.  The first four are the ones that matter the most.  

I have no idea who wins on a neutral field.  I do know that both teams made crucial mistakes (each team's lost fumble was devastating).  I know that Ole Miss started to find their groove in the second half (just 100 yards in the first half, they more than doubled that in the second).  Maybe because Ole Miss was at home they started out the game much flatter due to the increased pressure, but settled down at half time and the team in the second half was the real team or maybe they used the home crowd to get going and play above themselves.  Maybe Alabama let the crowd get to them or maybe they didn't.  Who knows.  What is known, is that Mississippi beat Alabama and they didn't do it on some freak play.  They didn't do it when Alabama's QB got injured.  There were no extenuating circumstances.  Mississippi is better than Alabama right now.  Just look at the criteria.  They show that.
That's a lot of words to basically say "Yeah, you're right, I'm talking about who has the better resume right now."  Of course, having the best resume right now and a buck will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

We get it - Mike refuses to rank teams the way you want him to.  Do you have to rehash the same argument with him every week?

10/8/2014 1:28 PM
Yes, until I put OSU in the top 10 and say "If they win the B10, there's no way they can't be included in the playoff."
10/8/2014 1:35 PM
The crux of his problem is that I don't have a problem with a loss if the team has opportunities to prove it was a fluke.   That crushes the B10 because the conference is down.   MSU/Oregon was the big game for them and they lost.   WI, OSU, Nebraska and MSU were potential top 20 teams.   Now it's just MSU.  It's a bad look for the B10. 
10/8/2014 1:45 PM
I think Ohio State is probably in the 15-20 range right now.  The young QB has looked significantly better of late and they have made real strides, but the Va Tech loss is definitely bad.  I'd have Michigan State in the 10-13 range at this point.  Both of those teams are ranked higher in the polls than I would have them.  I'm not sure I'd have Nebraska ranked though don't really have an issue with them at 21.  No other Big Ten team is even in consideration.  Makes it a pretty bad conference on the whole (though outside of FSU not sure the ACC is any better).

Missouri on the other hand is leading the SEC East and lost at home to Indiana.  The same Indiana that is one of the worst teams in the Big Ten.  
10/8/2014 3:30 PM
Unless/until GA takes hold of the SEC East, that side of the SEC is not relevant(see my example of GA beating Bama in the SEC champ) to any playoff discussion.

Clemson lost to GA and FSU.   All three were expected to be top 15 or so.    Clemson shutout NC State who hung 41 on FSU.   Clemson shouldn't be in the playoff talk but they're probably in OSU/Nebraska territory as far as quality of team.    I've been saying all along that FSU only has two games on the schedule.   The ACC is B10 crap comparable.   Pretty sure that's why ND semi-joined the ACC.
10/8/2014 3:46 PM
looks like Bama is going to barely get by Arkansas, but will pull it out.  Miss. St. looked great.  Seems like they should be the clear #1 team right now.  
10/11/2014 9:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/5/2014 5:47:00 PM (view original):

My top 5:

FSU
Auburn
Baylor
ND
Bama

Sorry, MS, I need to see more.

Do you think Ole Miss and Miss St are legit now?  Bama will not be in the four team playoff this season.
10/12/2014 2:29 AM
Miss St is.   TAMU hangs their hat on beating SC.   SC looks like a 7-5, 6-6 team.
Ole Miss snuck by Bama(who certainly looks vulnerable) and beat TAMU. 

My top 5:
FSU - I think everyone is guilty of comparing them to 2013 FSU.  I know I am.
Miss State - Looks like a contender but their big wins are LSU(proven to be crap), TAMU(see above) and Auburn.  They still have work to do.
Oregon - I think they're gonna win out
Bama - I still believe they're a top 4 team
ND/Baylor - I don't think either team will be there at the end.  Both looked rough yesterday in wins.

10/12/2014 7:53 AM
1.  FSU - won again.   As I said, I think we're guilty of comparing them to 2013 FSU.  
2.  Auburn - lost Miss St.  Weren't in the game.  Marshall missed open receivers.   I mentioned this as a potential problem earlier.  
3.  Miss St - impressive in beating Auburn.
4.  Ole Miss - rolled TAMU but TAMU doesn't look like much if you throw out the SC game(and you should).
5.  Baylor - 21 point comeback with 11 minutes left to beat TCU 61-58.   Won't be around long.
6.  ND - beat UNC 50-43.   UNC scored 43?  WTF?
7.  Bama - snuck by Arkansas.   Might be making the same mistake with comparing them to previous teams.
8.  MSU - handled Purdue.  Despite earlier claims, MSU might sneak back into the hunt.
9.  TCU - choked it away to Baylor.   Last we'll hear from them.
10. Arizona - missed FG late to lose to USC.   Last we'll hear from them.
11. Oklahoma - snuck past Texas.  TEXAS????   Baylor game looms big.
12. Oregon - took care of UCLA in UCLA.  UCLA out while Oregon is getting healthy.
13. Georgia - smoked Mizzou without Gurley.  GA might be able to get back into the hunt by winning out.
10/12/2014 8:01 AM
Bama was so impressive against Arkansas that you still maintain they are a top 4 team.  Quit being ridiculous.  That is Bama's 4th game where they have looked average, one of which they lost.  Bama just does not look like a top tier team and their record certainly indicates as much. 
10/12/2014 12:28 PM
I'll repeat, for the 77th time, that the playoffs do not start tomorrow.    Keep hatin' Bama.   Get back to me in December.
10/12/2014 4:26 PM
I know, but what exactly has Alabama done this year that warrants that faith? That is what I'm getting at. They have looked average in 4 separate games and barely beat an Arkansas team that hasn't won a SEC game since beating Kentucky on October 13, 2012. You are basically ignoring what has actually happened and I have no idea why, unless you just have an irrational hate of all things Mississippi, which might very well be the way you are defending Alabama.
10/12/2014 7:17 PM
It's pretty simple.

Bama has a top 10 recruiting class since, oh I don't know, forever.
Saban is one of the best coaches in college football.
So, in a reasonable mind, where does that put them?

In the top 4.

And, for the record, I don't like Bama or Saban.   I just know what I know.
10/12/2014 7:48 PM
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
10/12/2014 7:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/12/2014 7:48:00 PM (view original):
It's pretty simple.

Bama has a top 10 recruiting class since, oh I don't know, forever.
Saban is one of the best coaches in college football.
So, in a reasonable mind, where does that put them?

In the top 4.

And, for the record, I don't like Bama or Saban.   I just know what I know.
but that all applies to quite a few teams, which you don't give the benefit of the doubt to. It just seems you are ignoring the actual games, which seems like a silly way to determine who the best teams are.
10/12/2014 9:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.