Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Rough week for the top teams.   Didn't get to see much of the 3:30 games as I was at a friend's who is a ND fan.    But I know ND is not top 5 quality(and I think the AP will definitely put them there).

Miss St looks like a threat. 
10/5/2014 7:36 AM
what a cluster of a season.  FSU keeps on winning though
10/5/2014 9:48 AM
Crazy that Clemson shutout NC State the week after they put 41 on FSU.
10/5/2014 1:24 PM
1 Florida State (35) 5-0 1461
2 Auburn (23) 5-0 1459
3 Mississippi State (2) 5-0 1320
3 Ole Miss 5-0 1320
5 Baylor 5-0 1258
6 Notre Dame 5-0 1186
7 Alabama 4-1 1060
8 Michigan State 4-1 981
9 TCU 4-0 979
10 Arizona 5-0 951
11 Oklahoma 4-1 904
12 Oregon 4-1 888
13 Georgia 4-1 854
14 Texas A&M 5-1 731
15 Ohio State 4-1 534
16 Oklahoma State 4-1 527
17 Kansas State 4-1 486
18 UCLA 4-1 460
19 East Carolina 4-1 344
20 Arizona State 4-1 325
21 Nebraska 5-1 283
22 Georgia Tech 5-0 235
23 Missouri 4-1 212
24 Utah 4-1 206
25 Stanford 3-2 143
10/5/2014 5:45 PM

My top 5:

FSU
Auburn
Baylor
ND
Bama

Sorry, MS, I need to see more.

10/5/2014 5:47 PM
Baylor /OK is an elimination game
FSU/ND is an elimination game
10/5/2014 5:52 PM
If Oregon wins out, they're in. 
Even if Auburn loses a close one to Bama, they're still in.

From what I've seen, Bama, FSU, Auburn, Oregon are the four best(in no particular order).     That said, Oregon has OL problems.  If they can't fix it, they won't win out.   That might open a door for OK/Baylor or a MS team. 
10/5/2014 6:02 PM
That said, there's no way in hell three SEC West teams make it.    Lots of game left to play.
10/5/2014 6:21 PM
Bama ahead of Mississippi right now is just crazy talk.
10/5/2014 9:44 PM
396-323 total yards.  Bama gained 168 on the ground.   Ole Miss scored twice in the last 5:30 to take the lead.   INT in the end zone saved the game.   Bama beats them 9 out of 10 on a neutral field.  They're the better team.    And, as I've said dozens of times, I want the 4 best teams in the playoffs.    Ole Miss will have ample opportunity to prove me wrong.  TAMU(who I think has been exposed.  Their big win is SC and SC looks like dumpster fire now), Auburn and Miss State still on the schedule.
10/6/2014 8:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/6/2014 8:43:00 AM (view original):
396-323 total yards.  Bama gained 168 on the ground.   Ole Miss scored twice in the last 5:30 to take the lead.   INT in the end zone saved the game.   Bama beats them 9 out of 10 on a neutral field.  They're the better team.    And, as I've said dozens of times, I want the 4 best teams in the playoffs.    Ole Miss will have ample opportunity to prove me wrong.  TAMU(who I think has been exposed.  Their big win is SC and SC looks like dumpster fire now), Auburn and Miss State still on the schedule.
Also...I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T BAMA'S FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

It takes a lot of arrogance to think that your idle speculation about a series of hypothetical games trumps what actually happened on the field. But, hey, if we're just going to ignore results, I say let's move the Buckeyes back to the top five.
10/6/2014 12:01 PM
So, the "best" team always wins & if so, by how much? I can't imagine that you would believe that every game that is within a touchdown margin had the better team winning. This isn't just about MikeT23 pulling some hypothetical games out of his head & saying: "Yep, Bama's better".

A loss is a loss & that loss is already in Bama's loss column, but that's all it counts for... a single loss on one Saturday. It doesn't automatically make Ole Miss better than Bama. That's what MikeT23 knows & that's what anybody who watched Ole Miss have to pull away from a Boise State squad with an absolutely broken offense in the 4th quarter. Remember... no excuses. Yes, they beat Boise State & that's a win in the win column & that's it. Without context, as MikeT23 was adding to the discussion, you could say that: Washington State is better than Utah, Kentucky is better than South Carolina, Arizona is better than Oregon.

How many of the 3 above assertions would you stand behind & then we'll review them at season's end to see if you get any right?
10/7/2014 12:38 AM
The mindset around here is pretty much every game is an elimination game of sorts.    "Well, how can you possibly have Bama in and Ole Miss out?   Ole Miss beat Bama!!!"     To me, that's simple-minded. 

From what I've seen, Auburn is probably the best team in the nation.  They didn't look dominant against K-State(who is ranked 17th) but that is a tough road game.    That said, I think it's going to be impossible for them to run the table. 

Sat, Oct 11 @ Mississippi State 3:30 PM
Sat, Oct 25 vs. South Carolina TBD
Sat, Nov 1 @ Ole Miss TBD
Sat, Nov 8 vs. Texas A&M TBD
Sat, Nov 15 @ Georgia TBD
Sat, Nov 22 vs. Samford TBD
Sat, Nov 29 @ Alabama TBD

If they go 11-1, are they out because they lost to TAMU, Ole Miss, Miss St, or Bama and can't win the conference?   That would be stupid.  
10/7/2014 8:15 AM
Ole Miss is undefeated.  Alabama has a loss to OLE MISS.  And it isn't like you can claim Alabama's schedule is so much better that you can disregard the actual results on the field.  The reality is there is no world except those living in imaginary delusional worlds where Alabama is ahead of Ole Miss at this point in the season.  Now sure, by the end of the year Alabama might very well be ahead of Ole Miss, but right not that sentiment is just nonsense.

Results do actually matter, unless of course it is the Big Ten, right Mike.  They are out no matter what happens.  
10/7/2014 8:33 AM
Posted by tripleh595 on 10/7/2014 12:38:00 AM (view original):
So, the "best" team always wins & if so, by how much? I can't imagine that you would believe that every game that is within a touchdown margin had the better team winning. This isn't just about MikeT23 pulling some hypothetical games out of his head & saying: "Yep, Bama's better".

A loss is a loss & that loss is already in Bama's loss column, but that's all it counts for... a single loss on one Saturday. It doesn't automatically make Ole Miss better than Bama. That's what MikeT23 knows & that's what anybody who watched Ole Miss have to pull away from a Boise State squad with an absolutely broken offense in the 4th quarter. Remember... no excuses. Yes, they beat Boise State & that's a win in the win column & that's it. Without context, as MikeT23 was adding to the discussion, you could say that: Washington State is better than Utah, Kentucky is better than South Carolina, Arizona is better than Oregon.

How many of the 3 above assertions would you stand behind & then we'll review them at season's end to see if you get any right?
Have you actually looked at the criteria the selection committee uses to determine who the four "best" teams are.  
  1. Strength of Schedule
  2. Head to Head Results
  3. Comparison of results against common opponents
  4. Championships won
  5. other factors
Under that criteria, please explain how Alabama is better than Mississippi right now.  

10/7/2014 8:37 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.