Optimum base stealing setting Topic

Anyone have a lot of experience with a +5 base stealing vs. +4?

My Louisville team has been set to +5 all season, and obviously my speedsters (95+ speed / 70+ baserunning) have 40+ SBs, and successfully stealing 91-92% of the time. Great

Then I have a 79 speed / 47 baserunning guy who has been caught stealing 26 of 46 attempts.. obviously not surprising, but with a +5 setting he's pretty much set to take off.

Would a +4 setting still allow my optimium base stealers to swipe 50+ bags and my less than optimum guys attempt to steal less frequently?

Basically I want my speesters stealing virtually any chance they get on base, but I do not want these other guys with low baserunning to be attempting stealing as much as they do.

There should be an individual sliding scale type thing (similar to the 'call bullpen' pitching option) for guys basestealing frequency.

thoughts?

8/27/2014 10:00 AM
I can't tell you the difference between 4 and 5 but, if your team is stealing at less than 70%, you're doing yourself a disservice.  I adjust mine to get about a 75% success rate.
8/27/2014 10:15 AM
Would the 3B coaches Baserunning rating factor into it?  For example, could you get more success with the "very aggressive" base stealing strategy if you have a 3B coach who is smart enough to not flash the steal sign to a catcher with 14 speed, but flash it twice a game to the 100 speed leadoff hitting CF?
8/27/2014 6:38 PM
Coaches don't affect in game performance.  Just development/decline.
8/27/2014 6:54 PM
Right, forgot.
8/27/2014 7:39 PM
Maybe the sim should have an individual base stealing setting of 1 to 5 as they do in SLB?
8/28/2014 3:29 PM
^ Agree 100% with this.  If there ever is another WIS update, this would be at the top of my list  of improvements.
8/28/2014 3:35 PM
90% SB success rate in worlds aren't realistic.
8/28/2014 4:13 PM
That would require a complete overhaul of the SB/CS program.   Will never happen. 
8/28/2014 4:14 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2014 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Coaches don't affect in game performance.  Just development/decline.
Going to bring up a dead horse here but I'm curious on something.

If coaches only effect development/decline, why are there both a 1B and 3B coach? Which coach effects which rating or do they combine to effect the baserunning rating?
11/25/2014 2:45 PM
I believe they combine to affect the basrerunning rating.

They also influence the hitting ratings, but to a much lesser extent than the hitting coach.

11/25/2014 3:25 PM
As chisox and free barry mentioned above, the SimLeague Baseball side has this as an individual settings for each guy. It's great because you could have your 1975 Joe Morgan or 1983 Rickey Henderson set to 5, and your slow 1B power hitters set to 0 so they never tried to steal- so no wasted attempts caught stealing (except on failed hit and run attempts).
In LIVE games, it was even more pronounced, as you could send 'em yourself all the time against a weak-armed catcher and run wild.
11/25/2014 3:44 PM
Thanks cwrg.

It's super frustrating having 'base stealing' set to 5 in the NL, I was having pitchers getting picked off all the time. Realistically no one would EEEEVER send a pitcher to steal a base....... Maybe Marcus Strollman.

Also on this topic, is the better player (strictly on base stealing) the guy with 80 base running IQ and 50 speed or te guy with 80 speed and 50 base running IQ?
11/25/2014 4:58 PM (edited)
ADMIN has repeatedly shot down the idea of individual steal settings. 
In fact their exact words were " It will never happen in HBD".
11/25/2014 5:30 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/25/2014 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Thanks cwrg.

It's super frustrating having 'base stealing' set to 5 in the NL, I was having pitchers getting picked off all the time. Realistically no one would EEEEVER send a pitcher to steal a base....... Maybe Marcus Strollman.

Also on this topic, is the better player (strictly on base stealing) the guy with 80 base running IQ and 50 speed or te guy with 80 speed and 50 base running IQ?
I looked at a few comps... both seems to have significantly lower success rates than you'd want, and 80/50s seem to run more often than 50/80s.  So the high IQ guys seem to hurt you less.
11/25/2014 5:38 PM
12 Next ▸
Optimum base stealing setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.