Trading a Top Player.... Topic

oh there have been worse. trust me because that was the best offer I had.
8/21/2014 5:40 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/21/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
As a general rule, the owner getting 3 in the three for one deals is NOT winning the deal.    My guess is he's giving it to you without lube.
+1

Trying to make a deal look good with quantity is a jerkoff move. "Here are three things I don't have any use for." Like fruitcakes at Christmas.

8/21/2014 8:21 PM
Went back and checked my trades in a few worlds.    I have taken part in a few 3/1 deals.   From both sides.   For the most part, my statement stands.   But I found one that worked for both sides;
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Roy Bush
for
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Sean Cooper
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dicky Dickey
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Esteban Johnson

It was this team and I needed a couple of bodies:  http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=150310&Page=1    Bush was my only decent player(he gave CLE three good seasons) and Cooper/Dickey gave me some quality innings. 
8/22/2014 8:10 AM
I rejected the deal, which was 2 for 6. Now he is trying to get the lesser of my 2 stars with 3 players from that original 6 offered up. My team has no real players except for the two I was offering up. And the minor leagues have a few players coming. But a wise man told me I have a huge hill to climb in this league. I may just play it out and look for a league where the tanking isn't so obvious in previous seasons and now there is a minimum win that prevents teams from doing what got the better teams where they are.
8/22/2014 11:12 AM
I think that was a smart idea....btw, anytime I get stuck on something (and I've been here thirty some seasons), I sitemail Mike T23. I have ALWAYS gotten a return response. I know of no other coach that has his knowledge AND willingness to share what he knows.
8/22/2014 12:49 PM
Posted by willsauve on 8/21/2014 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Your team is crap.. Guzman is the only reason you win games.. 
I don't think your team is "crap", but it is what it is. You are obviously at the ebb of a five year cycle of decline. If zhawks drafted well (and if you drafted well the past two years), you should start on the way back up as soon as next year. Map out your team ( I do it for seven seasons)for the future along with expected salaries. That will help you to visualize what your needs will be and how much money you will need. While I do not go the FA route a lot, I will if I have to. It is always better to go that way rather than get three mediocre players for your one STUD. The trick is to anticipate what your future needs will be so you can return your team to respectability.
8/22/2014 1:00 PM
I do something similar to smackawits but only for the next three seasons.   I project what my team will be for the next three seasons if I made no moves.  I do it for three seasons because it will consist of players already on my roster.  That way I can figure out my strengths, weaknesses and redundancies.  In your case, I'd be figuring out how to build around my two stud players rather than moving them out.   Unless, of course, I was able to move them for something I didn't have on my roster and didn't think I could get them in FA.
8/22/2014 1:13 PM
Id trade that guy no question. But it would take what I wanted to make it happen. Probally a front line starter + . The only I say that is a .900 + ops guys is great but at lf,1st, rf or dh they are a lot easier to come by in fa.
8/22/2014 3:19 PM

I agree with Mike.  The only time a 3 for 1 works out for you (assuming that both sides know what they are doing) is when you can leverage quality to fill a specific quantity need.  I had a team with a gaggle of young hitters and 3 super nice arms, but a lot of crap on the pitching staff.  Trading  Philip Maduro for  Chris Sanford Sherm Taylor, and   Von Pose allowed me to start Sanford and Taylor and use Pose as a mop up without having to blow up my payroll or have a AAA arm on my roster, though Pose was probably one.  In the end Sanford and Taylor, while not as individually as good as Maduro, are well over 300 wins combined for their career and the team had a little success.  However, I can honestly say that I probably would not do the same deal now with any of my teams.  It filled a specific need at the time.  I try to never be on the 3 side of a 3 for 1 in general. 

8/22/2014 5:40 PM
This forum alone has helped me dramatically. I will be sure to keep in touch. And the 3 season look ahead is a great idea. Just made a spread sheet that will give me a one stop reference that will help.

Got another owner asking for Guzman, and Oakland (the team asking) has not made the offer yet, but his starting with his highest rated player. And he offered his #1 starting pitcher originally. This offer could be interesting.
8/25/2014 5:52 PM
Time to chime in on Guzman. I'm 50/50 to stay in the league as it is, just too many things have been brought to light. But here are 2 options that I have from Oakland for Guzman. And after the brief tutoring, I am beginning to think these aren't good either.

Option #1 - Nipsey Ensberg & Angel Merced

Option #2 - Angel Merced, Sammy Santos & Esmerling Oliva

All comments are welcome.
9/8/2014 3:53 PM
I wouldnt trade him unless I was getting a great SP in return.. 

Guzman

Option #1 -
Nipsey Ensberg, is a good player but nowhere near the player that you are giving up.. 
Angel Merced  , is not very good and is a guy that you can get pretty easy as a FA... 

Option #2 -
Angel Merced, See above
Sammy Santos, Blah!
Esmerling Oliva, good RP... Still not enough..

horrible offers.. 
9/8/2014 4:13 PM
That's what I thought. Trade deadline is coming and like I said I am 50-50 on whether or now I am staying in the league. And if I do leave I don't want to hamstring the franchise before I leave. Thanks
9/8/2014 4:20 PM
Agreed. If you feel like doing it he will give up Ensberg, Santos, and Oliva.
9/9/2014 1:58 AM
If you're not sure if you're staying, don't trade regardless of the offer.

The worst franchises I've taken over weren't by inactive owners, it was the ones where the owner made tons of moves and got nothing of value.
9/9/2014 8:12 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Trading a Top Player.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.