Trading a Top Player.... Topic

I am still kind of a noob at this game, but I am totally addicted too. I have put out some feelers in one of my leagues to trade arguably one of the top 3 offensive players in the whole league. He's 26, and signed for a decent contract for the next 4 seasons (current + 3). But the team as a whole is mediocre at best.

And now I am getting a very strong offer, that fills immediate positions of need and adds some quality young talent to my pretty bad farm system. One problem, now the other party is asking for my second best player as well. Now the deal looks solid on paper, with just one fringy prospect. Its a 6 for 2 deal. And the 2 veterans will step in and start for the departing players. I add 3 quality prospects and the one fringy (my opinion) prospect. 1 Vet is a free agent and I am pretty sure he will be picked up by someone giving me an additional draft pick, same for the other vet next year.

Any thoughts. Very competitive world, but only my second season in the world so I have not put my signature on the franchise just yet.
8/21/2014 3:24 PM
I suggest that if you look at the trade in two separate parts. What am I getting for your "super star", and What am I getting for your second best player (is he a superstar also?). The game is pretty cyclical, and I do not know where you are in the cycle. Do you really want to give away your super star? Do you have more than one offer? Are the other offers better? Don't feel that you HAVE to do something because you are new. Look at all your options first. Slow down is always good advice to a noob. Good luck.
8/21/2014 3:41 PM
you may want to go to the mentor list and have someone look at the trade that can give you advice.

8/21/2014 3:42 PM
I don't think that I am giving him away. But as one owner in my league pointed out, I'm not winning with him. And honestly, there is not a whole lot to look forward too in my minor league system. Outside of a deal I just completed, there was literally nothing of ML quality even 2 seasons away.

Would you suggest any mentor in particular? I really hate to lose in the immediate future, but I am also in this league to stay so I would like to at least turn it around in a reasonable timeframe.

Thanks again.
8/21/2014 4:01 PM
i would suggest quality instead of quantity.  i would trade your guy for the single best prospect i can get. majority of 3 for 1 trades are in the 1s favor.
8/21/2014 4:08 PM
Are you sure you understand how prospects develop?

No matter what their projections numbers are, they are all pretty much done developing after 3 seasons (that you can see on their card).  They might add a few points in season 4, but that's it.

So stay clear of 25-26 year olds that still show potential.  They aren't going to get there.

If your stud is 26, signed until he's 29, if his MakeUp is high and you drafted him he'll probably re-sign with you. So the odds are good you'll have him for 7-8 more seasons, if you want him.  All before he starts to decline.

One stud won't make your team a winner. But neither will 6 replacement-level prospects.  If your guy is a stud, you should try to get at least one player who will develop into someone who has a shot to make an all-star team somewhere down the road.
8/21/2014 4:19 PM
Do not trade this guy unless you get something pretty good in return.. 
8/21/2014 4:22 PM
What team is making the offer?
8/21/2014 4:25 PM
Your team is crap.. Guzman is the only reason you win games.. 
8/21/2014 4:28 PM
As a general rule, the owner getting 3 in the three for one deals is NOT winning the deal.    My guess is he's giving it to you without lube.
8/21/2014 4:35 PM
Trust me I know he is the only reason that I am winning any games. He is really the only reason I took that particular franchise. This franchise is my guy and the miracles. My pitchers are playing softball, not baseball.
8/21/2014 4:48 PM
The offer is from an experienced owner, so I am sure that the offer is not as good as it looks on the surface.
8/21/2014 4:50 PM
Let me guess.  He's been much more successful than you.     Hit "reject" and move on. 
8/21/2014 4:51 PM
will do MikeT23. I will just stay the course and try not to get a quick fix. Thanks
8/21/2014 5:08 PM
It was one of the worst trade offers I've ever seen.. 
8/21/2014 5:12 PM
123 Next ▸
Trading a Top Player.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.