Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

And, to be clear, the original violence was an 18 y/o man shoving around a shopkeeper after he stole some cigars.    The secondary violence was the same 18 y/o man attacking a cop.   

I feel for his mother, everything happening in Ferguson is related to him and she lost a son, but society won when he was removed from it.
11/25/2014 9:53 AM
There are plenty of people who do dumb, horrible **** and become good people later on.  Especially when you do dumb **** at 18.  So I won't celebrate his death as a "win" for society.

And yes, it was his actions that caused his death, not a racist PD. He's not killed if he pays for cigars, stays at home, whatever.

I think what some people were hoping for is that protests would lead to change in communities in many towns in the midwest, where the story of a white PD discriminating against a largely black community may be pretty common. But all anyone is talking about is riots, and all it's doing is making the blacks in those communities look bad, and reinforcing the ideas racists minds already have.
11/25/2014 10:02 AM
Actually, you're right.   Perhaps he would have become a contributor to society.   But, odds are, if you're attacking cops when you're 18, you won't.   If someone feels they can attack people who have the authority to shoot them, what chance does Joe Average have against them?

And yes, people across the country are saying "No wonder the cops act like they do in that part of town.   They're ******* animals."

But there was still no "message". 

11/25/2014 10:12 AM
"and all it's doing is making the blacks in those communities look bad, and reinforcing the ideas racists minds already have."

Are you implying that the only racists here are the ones who are commenting about how the blacks in Ferguson are acting, both immediately after this incident happened in August, and again after last night's announcement?

What about those who IMMEDIATELY demanded JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL BROWN, before anything close to resembling facts were known?  The people who already were convicting of Darren Wilson of murder before the body was cold.

I'll go back to my comments from earlier this morning.  The mentality of the black community in Ferguson, and by a number of members of PC America, is no different than the lynch mob mentality of the 1930's.  Only the colors of those on both sides have reversed.  We haven't come very far.

That should be troubling to us all.  America needs to stop pretending that racism can only be narrowly defined, and acknowledge that it's a two-way street.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I think the person who said that would have something to say about what's going on today.

11/25/2014 10:42 AM
I agree with tec.  MLK Jr always preached non-violent non-cooperation.  The violence is a slap in the face for him. 

BTW who's bright idea was it to release the verdict during prime-time?  6 am in the morning would have been better.

...and the National Guard wasn't even brought in until 2 am?  Seriously?

11/25/2014 11:08 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tecwrg on 11/25/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):
"and all it's doing is making the blacks in those communities look bad, and reinforcing the ideas racists minds already have."

Are you implying that the only racists here are the ones who are commenting about how the blacks in Ferguson are acting, both immediately after this incident happened in August, and again after last night's announcement?

What about those who IMMEDIATELY demanded JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL BROWN, before anything close to resembling facts were known?  The people who already were convicting of Darren Wilson of murder before the body was cold.

I'll go back to my comments from earlier this morning.  The mentality of the black community in Ferguson, and by a number of members of PC America, is no different than the lynch mob mentality of the 1930's.  Only the colors of those on both sides have reversed.  We haven't come very far.

That should be troubling to us all.  America needs to stop pretending that racism can only be narrowly defined, and acknowledge that it's a two-way street.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I think the person who said that would have something to say about what's going on today.

So you're saying all racism is wrong? I don't disagree.

"The mentality of the black community in Ferguson, and by a number of members of PC America, is no different than the lynch mob mentality of the 1930's."

There's one huge difference - the reason why so many blacks in that area were quick to judge, quick to anger, quick to riot, appears to be because of the way they've been treated by law enforcement in the past.  They've been discriminated against, they've felt that they lived their lives at a huge disadvantage, where the people who are supposed to be protecting them seem to be out to get them.  I'm not going to pretend to know what that feels like, to live that way.  What was the reasoning for the "lynch mob mentality of the 1930s?"

I think the majority of Americans feel the the violent riots are a bad thing. It's not the way to go about getting change.

"What about those who IMMEDIATELY demanded JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL BROWN, before anything close to resembling facts were known?" 

There are a shitton of people who jump to conclusions about so many things, it doesn't just pertain to blacks. But when you've been figuratively been beaten down by law enforcement your entire life, I at least understand the jump to conclusion here. Again, that doesn't mean you can destroy property.

11/25/2014 11:54 AM (edited)
Posted by raucous on 11/25/2014 11:08:00 AM (view original):
I agree with tec.  MLK Jr always preached non-violent non-cooperation.  The violence is a slap in the face for him. 

BTW who's bright idea was it to release the verdict during prime-time?  6 am in the morning would have been better.

...and the National Guard wasn't even brought in until 2 am?  Seriously?

Yea, it felt like they were asking for this mess.  Although people criticized hearing that the National Guard would be there when a State of Emergency was declared, saying that they would incite violence by their presence.  So I'm not sure they could win there.  But yea, doing this this morning would have made much more sense.
11/25/2014 12:22 PM (edited)
Posted by moy23 on 11/25/2014 11:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/25/2014 10:12:00 AM (view original):
Actually, you're right.   Perhaps he would have become a contributor to society.   But, odds are, if you're attacking cops when you're 18, you won't.   If someone feels they can attack people who have the authority to shoot them, what chance does Joe Average have against them?

And yes, people across the country are saying "No wonder the cops act like they do in that part of town.   They're ******* animals."

But there was still no "message". 

The kid was going to community college next year.... I do feel for his parents. It seems they did try to be a positive influence. My guess is the 'f the police young black community' influence in Ferguson got the better of Brown. Its outright stupid to attack police officers - hopefully that is the message here.
He was caught on camera stealing moments earlier.   "FTP" wasn't a part of that. 
11/25/2014 12:18 PM
The entire affair was handled ridiculously.   8 PM announcement?    Lack of security?   

Who didn't think a shitstorm would occur?
11/25/2014 12:21 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/25/2014 11:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/25/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):

So you're saying all racism is wrong? I don't disagree.

"The mentality of the black community in Ferguson, and by a number of members of PC America, is no different than the lynch mob mentality of the 1930's."

There's one huge difference - the reason why so many blacks in that area were quick to judge, quick to anger, quick to riot, appears to be because of the way they've been treated by law enforcement in the past.  They've been discriminated against, they've felt that they lived their lives at a huge disadvantage, where the people who are supposed to be protecting them seem to be out to get them.  I'm not going to pretend to know what that feels like, to live that way.  What was the reasoning for the "lynch mob mentality of the 1930s?"

I think the majority of Americans feel the the violent riots are a bad thing. It's not the way to go about getting change.

"What about those who IMMEDIATELY demanded JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL BROWN, before anything close to resembling facts were known?" 

There are a shitton of people who jump to conclusions about so many things, it doesn't just pertain to blacks. But when you've been figuratively been beaten down by law enforcement your entire life, I at least understand the jump to conclusion here. Again, that doesn't mean you can destroy property.

This.

It's not reverse racism. It certainly isn't anything close to a reverse of the 1930's (let me know when white people start hanging from trees for having the nerve to talk to a black person or use the wrong restroom). It's "holy ****, it's almost 2015 and blacks are still facing systematic racism, time to break some ****."

It's certainly not the best way to get anything done but these riots are less about change and more about frustration.
11/25/2014 12:23 PM
And, as I've said a million times, when you give people an excuse, they will use it.

"But when you've been figuratively been beaten down by law enforcement your entire life" is a fine example.   Go ahead and loot/riot.   You've been beaten down by law enforcement all your life, it's understandable. 

For ****'s sake.
11/25/2014 12:24 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/25/2014 12:24:00 PM (view original):
And, as I've said a million times, when you give people an excuse, they will use it.

"But when you've been figuratively been beaten down by law enforcement your entire life" is a fine example.   Go ahead and loot/riot.   You've been beaten down by law enforcement all your life, it's understandable. 

For ****'s sake.
That's the media narrative.

It gives them a chance for "LIVE: UPDATE FROM FERGUSON!!!!"  news bulletins.
11/25/2014 12:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/25/2014 12:24:00 PM (view original):

For ****'s sake.
If you're going to quote me, at least quote my whole point.  Or at least the whole sentence.

11/25/2014 12:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...51|52|53|54|55...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.