Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 3:23:00 PM (view original):
You're free to call the cops. And, if he's in Minnesota, he's free to not show the cops ID.

I think even you would have to admit that the two situations are different. One is a guy taking a seat in a designated seating area in a public place. The other is someone being weird next to your car. Also, neither is a crime.
This wasn't the first time he had been hanging around that area... At least its unclear.

“The guards reported that the man had on repeated occasions refused to leave a private “employees only” area in the First National Bank Building,” the department’s statement read.

Sounds like they have dealt with him before. Also no one has said what he was doing when asked to leave - consistently gawking at women, yelling at someone on his phone, whatever. We don't know.

Its trespassing the minute he is asked to leave and does not do so. The fact the cops had to come only enforces the fact that he would not leave and he was trespassing.
9/3/2014 4:34 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/3/2014 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 3:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/3/2014 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Regardless of whether or not it was racism, it was terrible police work.
Again, without all the facts, how can you arrive there as a definite conclusion?

Or, right.  You can't.

You just want to blame the cops.

And you just want to blame Lollie
No.

I just want to know what happened before I blame anybody.

Is that unreasonable?

Really...because I could have sworn you argued for several pages that Lollie should have just shown his ID...
He should have. It may have got him off the trespassing charge had he cooperated. Instead the 'I know my rights guy' ending up getting legally tased and hauled in on disorderly conduct and obstruction charges.
9/3/2014 4:41 PM
Posted by moy23 on 9/3/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
You're free to call the cops. And, if he's in Minnesota, he's free to not show the cops ID.

I think even you would have to admit that the two situations are different. One is a guy taking a seat in a designated seating area in a public place. The other is someone being weird next to your car. Also, neither is a crime.
This wasn't the first time he had been hanging around that area... At least its unclear.

“The guards reported that the man had on repeated occasions refused to leave a private “employees only” area in the First National Bank Building,” the department’s statement read.

Sounds like they have dealt with him before. Also no one has said what he was doing when asked to leave - consistently gawking at women, yelling at someone on his phone, whatever. We don't know.

Its trespassing the minute he is asked to leave and does not do so. The fact the cops had to come only enforces the fact that he would not leave and he was trespassing.
No, it isn't. He was on public property. It isn't trespassing until the cops tell him to leave and he refuses.

Just like a person standing on the public sidewalk outside your house. You can ask them to leave but it isn't trespassing until the cops come and tell them to leave and they refuse.
9/3/2014 4:43 PM
Also, skyways can't have private "employees only" areas. They are public.
9/3/2014 4:45 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by The Taint on 9/3/2014 4:47:00 PM (view original):
It's so private they invite people to sit in it on their Facebook page!
WTF are you talking about?   You invite people to sit in your car while you're away. 
9/3/2014 4:50 PM
I congratulated you, *****.   Say "Thanks" and be done with it.
9/3/2014 4:52 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 4:43:00 PM (view original):

No, it isn't. He was on public property. It isn't trespassing until the cops tell him to leave and he refuses.

Just like a person standing on the public sidewalk outside your house. You can ask them to leave but it isn't trespassing until the cops come and tell them to leave and they refuse.
You can trespass on public property the minute those paid to enforce that property ask you to leave. Look it up.

It does not have to be the police. Its trespassing the minute you are asked to leave and don't. For example if I invited you over for a party and you got belligerently drunk and I asked you to leave... If you say after this beer you are now trespassing whether the cops are there or not.
9/3/2014 4:57 PM
Posted by moy23 on 9/3/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):

You can trespass on public property the minute those paid to enforce that property ask you to leave. Look it up.

It does not have to be the police. Its trespassing the minute you are asked to leave and don't. For example if I invited you over for a party and you got belligerently drunk and I asked you to leave... If you say after this beer you are now trespassing whether the cops are there or not.
In your house or on private property, that's correct. But not on public property. I have just as much right to stand on the sidewalk as you do.
9/3/2014 4:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/3/2014 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 3:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/3/2014 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Regardless of whether or not it was racism, it was terrible police work.
Again, without all the facts, how can you arrive there as a definite conclusion?

Or, right.  You can't.

You just want to blame the cops.

And you just want to blame Lollie
No.

I just want to know what happened before I blame anybody.

Is that unreasonable?

Really...because I could have sworn you argued for several pages that Lollie should have just shown his ID...
I did.  If he truly was doing nothing wrong, it likely would have prevented him from being tased.

Why do you continue to argue that being confrontational and uncooperative with a police office doing his job is a good idea?

And what does saying that Lollie should have shown his idea have to do with fact finding and assigning blame?
9/3/2014 5:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/3/2014 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 9/3/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):

In your house or on private property, that's correct. But not on public property. I have just as much right to stand on the sidewalk as you do.
He wasn't on a sidewalk. Sidewalks don't have security guards.

If an airport security guard asked you to leave a public airport...
Or a park ranger asked you to leave the public Forrest preserve....

They personally can not arrest you but if you stay you are now trespassing. If you are still their when the cops arrive you have a screw loose.... Cause now you can get arrested.
9/3/2014 5:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...46|47|48|49|50...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.