Name Game Draft Topic

SP Roger Clemens
8/20/2014 11:16 AM
In eight days we haven't even finished four rounds.  That is one round every two days.  At this rate it will be October before we are done. I am just making an observation and don't mean it as criticism.  It is just an attempt to impart more of  a sense of urgency or concern among the drafters. 

I don't see how a time schedule can speed up this process without full support of all involved.  The only way I see to enforce a draft  schedule is for the commissioner to make picks for owners who don't make their picks on time (nobody wants that).  In most drafts I have been in not making your pick on time means your pick is skipped and the next person in line picks.  That won't work here.  Being skipped might even be a blessing instead of a penalty. 

I acknowledge that this website is just a diversion and there are many more important things in life.  There really isn't any reason to be in a rush. Life is a journey and not a race. I believe cstrohmier is doing a good job as commissioner.  He deserves our support and thanks for creating such an enjoyable theme
FBD/Mike

8/20/2014 5:15 PM
On the nose----you nailed it.
8/20/2014 5:40 PM
I agree 100%, Mike.

The other variable is, if we truly continue at this pace, it means the draft won't finish until the 2014 regular season is done and those players are available in the WIS database. Knowing we can use a player's 2014 season obviously affects how we draft.

8/20/2014 6:30 PM
One reason why I signed on for this league is because I knew there wasn't a time schedule. With my work schedule and NOT being able to access WIS through work this way works best for me. I don't care if it takes twice as long as it should. I'm not in any hurry. Now if I could only get a guy like Pete Alexander or Rogers Hornsby.
8/20/2014 6:43 PM
Posted by bheid408 on 8/20/2014 6:43:00 PM (view original):
One reason why I signed on for this league is because I knew there wasn't a time schedule. With my work schedule and NOT being able to access WIS through work this way works best for me. I don't care if it takes twice as long as it should. I'm not in any hurry. Now if I could only get a guy like Pete Alexander or Rogers Hornsby.
I have no problem with that. I am retired and have all the time in the world. But, other owners may not be as patient. I am worried that unless we all make an effort to move this draft along other owners will drop out. Then we will be in big trouble.

So far there have been few surprises in who other owners are going to pick. I have been pretty successful in guessing who other owners have picked. At worst I have been able to narrow it down to two or three possibilities. To be safe if you think your pick may come up while you are unavailable leave a proxy with me. Just three or four players. I can make most picks. I live on the West Coast so 9:00 or 9:30 am are as early as I can pick.

For example. I knew when pg99 picked Hardie Henderson the next two picks would be Rickey and Hornsby. I then figured the next pick would be Ryan Howard,Roy Hallady or Rich Hardin. If I were making grayfox pick my proxy would be Ryan Braun, Roy Campanella or Rich Gossage. If cstohmier picked Richard Hidalgo I would have been screwed (again).
8/20/2014 7:59 PM
Nah, if he takes Hidalgo, you take Halladay, R H still available.
8/20/2014 8:03 PM

These are all good thoughts.  You know, I'm fine with the slow pace/no time slots as long as everyone else is.  I'm just afraid others will become uninterested and drop out.

8/20/2014 8:51 PM
Robinson Cano 2B

Sorry for the delay....work....good news....getting laid off tomorrow so I can spend more time on this draft....really it's ok as I have been going strong at work for 3 years and I'm no spring chicken!

8/20/2014 9:27 PM
man, sorry to hear about your job, razor
8/20/2014 10:03 PM
just a 3-4 hour span where we can check in,pick our guy and move along---not asking that much---or, much like today I can start checking at 8 am and still not be up 14 hours later---
8/20/2014 10:28 PM
Posted by cstrohmier on 8/20/2014 10:03:00 PM (view original):
man, sorry to hear about your job, razor
thanks for your concern.  I am a union pipefitter so when we complete our jobs we get laid off and it's back on the out of work list.  No worries as there seems to be some more jobs coming up.
8/20/2014 10:54 PM
I may be slowing down things a bit myself the next few days since I am traveling overseas, to a small town where internet service is not good.  I would happily trust someone to make proxy picks for me if I lose touch ... cstrohmier offered, but since he drafts right behind me, that might put him in an awkward position.  :)

If I haven't checked in by this time tomorrow, someone please make a pick for me to keep things moving.
8/21/2014 12:14 AM
Rod Carew - 1B

End of Round 4
8/21/2014 12:40 AM
Tough to pass on a couple other guys but I am going to go with = Rheal Cormier
8/21/2014 7:59 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...45 Next ▸
Name Game Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.