The No Whining Progressive is a unique single-season progressive league just starting our 26th season (1986).

We do not have openings very often, and we usually fill spots from a word-of-mouth waitlist, but we now need 1 exceptional owner to take over the California franchise (AL) - see below.

This team is in excellent shape - the previous owner did a great job putting the club together, but unfortunately went MIA at the start of the 1986 draft.  Candidly, you will almost never find a prog team with this kind of roster in need of a new owner.  This team is almost guaranteed a playoff spot, and is in my opinion one of the top 2 or 3 clubs in the league.  It has a number of superstars, depth at almost every position, and an outstanding starting rotation (Mike Witt, Bob Knepper, Mike Krukow, Ron Guidry).  I am running the team right now to get the season started, but I will transfer it to a new owner - who will play 1986 for free - in exchange for a commitment to play at least 3 more seasons.

What makes us unique? A couple of things:

1.) Our philosophy is summarized in the name of the league; no whining here. All owners take complete responsibility for their teams, and for the well-being of the league as a whole. If you miss a draft pick, we move on without you. If you leave a player off your keeper list inadvertently and someone else drafts him, you lose the player. Don't get the wrong idea - we're not a group of sharks. We just expect everyone to be accountable. We've all been in leagues where a couple of owners take forever to hit deadlines, or are sloppy with their keepers, and just expect everyone else to put up with it. Not here.

2.) Tanking is not rewarded in any way. Our draft order is completely randomized (though non-playoff teams draft ahead of playoff teams in each round). There is absolutely no incentive not to put your best effort into winning, and many of us take pride in winning more games than we "should" based on our payroll in any given season. Note that this means unlike most leagues, you can't just rebuild by waiting around for good draft picks, because there is no guarantee you will get them. The fastest way to rebuild in the NWP has been to trade aggressively...not that this is an issue for California right now.

3.) Because of the above rules, and in general just having a great group of owners, we trust each other. So another rule for example is that vetoing trades is not allowed. Trades in which one team gets the better of another are a part of baseball history, and we don't police those trades out of existence.

Interested? Love the 80s? Like seeing the leaderboards flush with Boggs, Mattingly, Henderson, Raines, Clemens, Ryan, etc? Come on in and give us a try, we'd like to have you.

Other rules are pretty straightforward: 24 teams in standard OL format, interleague play, no cap, 6/2 below average AAA, no DH, etc.

Sitemail me if you're interested and I'll add you to the league forum where you can see our league history, previous drafts, complete rules, etc.
9/1/2014 1:08 AM (edited)
California's 1986 Roster (Plays in Anaheim Stadium)

C: Tony Pena, Alan Ashby
1B: Greg Walker, Enos Cabell
2B: Jim Gantner, Alan Wiggins
3B: Mike Schmidt
SS: Scott Fletcher
OF: Dwight Evans, Tracy Jones, Chet Lemon, Ben Oglivie, Glenn Wilson, Willie Wilson
P: Pat Clements, Bill Dawley, John Denny, Ron Guidry, Jay Howell, Barry Jones, Bob Knepper, Mike Krukow, Ted Power, Bob Tewskbury, Mike Witt

California has neither traded nor acquired any future draft picks
9/1/2014 1:03 AM (edited)
Team has been claimed.  Please sitemail me if you are interested in being added to the waitlist (which is how we fill most of our openings).
9/3/2014 7:50 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.