How does St. Olaf in D3 out recruiting me in DII? Topic

MFNMYERS  ????  How is that even possible?  Even if you could "see" a DII recruit, in the real world there is no way a D3 team would out recruit a D2 team.  It's just not possible.  This little nuance that shouldn't even be possible totally skews DIII.
7/21/2014 10:36 AM
Take a deep breath hogdaddy. Yes it is possible and looking at the circumstances here, very understandable. Even though you get twice as many dollars per open recruit he had twice as many open scholarships negating your dollar advantage. Since mfn probably had carry over he more than likely had more money to spend than you. Second Concordia has no track record of winning while St. Olaf has been winning Championships. Next look at the experience he has. He knows what he needs to do to win these battles. Any suggestions I can give you let me know. Glad to help a conference mate. I use to be mfn's conference mate as well when I had Concordia in D3. Have to say I held my own against him but yes he was tough.
7/21/2014 11:31 AM
For the record, it is very possible that a lower division team could recruit better than a higher division team. I would argue that teams like Wisconsin Whitewater and Mount Union could beat some FCS schools. 
7/21/2014 11:35 AM
You got schooled. I'm pretty sure the rest of us have been spanked on the recruiting trail at one time or another. Learn the lesson and move on.
7/21/2014 12:11 PM
Things like this are going to happen, especially as you are learning the ins and outs of the recruiting process. I still remember losing an STL in my 180 to a guy who was like 2000 miles away when I was playing DIII. I learned why it happened and now it wont happen again.
7/21/2014 1:15 PM
Posted by scrodz on 7/21/2014 12:11:00 PM (view original):
You got schooled. I'm pretty sure the rest of us have been spanked on the recruiting trail at one time or another. Learn the lesson and move on.
I don't think we even looked at the same recruits, it's just that I noticed in yatzr's tool that St. Olaf was there.  It shocked me that a DIII team would be competing for the same players.

MFNMYERS!  He got the name right. :D
7/21/2014 2:27 PM
It's all about vision.  D3 schools with high vision can see lower tiered D2 recruits.  Mfnmyers with his success and longevity at St. Olaf has the luxury of having one of the highest, if not the highest, vision for recruiting. 
7/21/2014 8:31 PM
Posted by ranger1951 on 7/21/2014 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Take a deep breath hogdaddy. Yes it is possible and looking at the circumstances here, very understandable. Even though you get twice as many dollars per open recruit he had twice as many open scholarships negating your dollar advantage. Since mfn probably had carry over he more than likely had more money to spend than you. Second Concordia has no track record of winning while St. Olaf has been winning Championships. Next look at the experience he has. He knows what he needs to do to win these battles. Any suggestions I can give you let me know. Glad to help a conference mate. I use to be mfn's conference mate as well when I had Concordia in D3. Have to say I held my own against him but yes he was tough.

Maybe so, but Concordia does have a good track record of being better Lutherans than St. Olaf. :P

*With that stupid comment that only I probably understand, I shall see myself out of the thread.

7/21/2014 10:08 PM
Both St Olaf and Concordia beat the hell out if the Tommie's though!
7/21/2014 10:47 PM
I can't comment on real-life football recruiting. But I do know a woman who played D3 college basketball for a powerhouse program. They were sometimes battling for-and getting-recruits not just with D2 schools, but even sometimes with lower level 1AA. So, it just may be possible. 
7/22/2014 11:08 AM
I know someone who recently committed to a D3 football school over several FCS offers, as well as a couple D2 offers. It happens. 
7/22/2014 2:49 PM
Posted by mb625 on 7/21/2014 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ranger1951 on 7/21/2014 11:31:00 AM (view original):

Maybe so, but Concordia does have a good track record of being better Lutherans than St. Olaf. :P

*With that stupid comment that only I probably understand, I shall see myself out of the thread.

Funny!
7/22/2014 4:07 PM
After moving up to D2 in Wilkinson (due to the "force out of D3") and having crappy, crappy vision, I battled St Olaf this past recruiting cycle for a couple of recruits.  I was lucky that I had tons of money......and since my vision was so crappy, no other D2 teams were battling me!  LOL

So, I won those vs St Olaf, but he definitely knows what he is doing and if I had few dollars, he would have won....and those guys would have been probably the number 1 recruits at their positions in D3.

I fear no one in recruiting.....except for mfnmyers....
7/25/2014 6:29 PM
How does St. Olaf in D3 out recruiting me in DII? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.